Upgrading home security system to 7 Full HD (1920X1080) IP Cameras - PC horsepower?

Anyone knowledgeable as to how much PC horsepower is required?

Intend to have them run 24/7 and record everything in an HDD and store at least a couple of weeks of footage on HDD.

Now, I understand I need a special kind of drive for this purpose (WD purple). At least I managed to get that right, but I am cluless as to the details.'

a. HDD storage capacity?
    b. CPU horsepower?
    c. Do I need a GPU?
    d. Amount of RAM needed?

So this PC will have to, in addition to everything else, stream HD (1920X1080) content on demand to smart tv's and smartphones.

I was thinking H110 motherboard and a mini PC and something like an i5-6400. Not quite sure if the PC will do encoding/decoding too? If yes, then I probably need an HT-enabled CPU.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is literally no point in building your own. A DVR/NVR would be a better option and cheaper.

This is what I do for a living, if you want to build one for shits and giggles just to do it, then that's different.
    What type of cameras do you plan on using, IP or Analog?

Hey, thanks for stopping by.

Intend to use IP cams. Interested in your opinion.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

I am no expert on the matter, but this seems like an excellent deal for what is included:

https://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-...6&keywords=nvr

15+ Year Old Account
    Well then.

These are things to take into consideration when using IP. Network is the main issue, if you have a separate connection for them and for viewing your golden, if you plan on using your home internet that all your devices are connected to, then you will probably not be happy. Bandwidth is going to depend on where they are located, whether you use motion recording etc.

Camera types and manufacturers are a big factor too. If you plan on using wireless IPs they are slooooooow, hell wired ones are as well unless you are using a Gbit switch and service.

There are other options such as HDTVi, but those entail running RG-59 cables and power, which is easy enough but can be tedious if you never have done it.

IP is getting better, it is still expensive and speed, if it matters to you all depends on your network.

What type of bandwidth is your internet?

Approx speed of my home DSL is 4.5 mbps. What do you think?

15+ Year Old Account
    Download speed wont matter, its the upload.

If 4.5 down is what your referring to then your upload speed is probably lower, like 1 maybe and that would work as long as you have alot of patience.

Onto the system. You will need an app for your smartphones and tablets to connect. That is some research you will have to do, some of the camera manufacturers that sell cameras at say Best Buy etc come with their own, but they aren't the best.

If you want to build your own, our systems we deploy start with Xeon quads E1225V5 on Gigabyte C232 X150M Pro-ECC motherboards, we use those for 16 cameras, the C236 WS-ECC with Xeon E3-1230V5 for up to 32 then the 1280 comes in on anything above that with a discrete card only because it doesnt have a igpu. For those we use the GT740

For a house hold one. meh any h110 or b250 motherboard with 2133 memory is all thats needed, a Intel 6500 or 7500 would do the job as well as a 7300 if thats all you use that pc for. No discrete card needed.

WD Purples, which you already know are the best for recording, backups we use the Red NAS but thats a whole new ball game.

A complete DVR/Camera package is definitely your best bet rather than trying to build a specific PC for it in addition to buying cameras. You'll spend way more with no real added benefit. If you absolutely don't want a DVR kit, you'd also be better off using a NAS with WD Purples in it. Most Synology products have software to deal with surveillance as well with support for most standards.

But for the most part a system such as this would be most ideal: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16881183059

4 outdoor IP66 rated cameras, 1080p, IR nightvision, and fully PoE so all you need to do is run the included Cat5e cables to where you want them installed. Just needs a HDD. The software is pretty slick too. There are of course other kits with more cameras included. That one linked comes with 4, but with ports for up to 8 total.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2017-03-18 at 06:33 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Thanks for your input guys.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    A complete DVR/Camera package is definitely your best bet rather than trying to build a specific PC for it in addition to buying cameras. You'll spend way more with no real added benefit. If you absolutely don't want a DVR kit, you'd also be better off using a NAS with WD Purples in it. Most Synology products have software to deal with surveillance as well with support for most standards.

But for the most part a system such as this would be most ideal: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16881183059

4 outdoor IP66 rated cameras, 1080p, IR nightvision, and fully PoE so all you need to do is run the included Cat5e cables to where you want them installed. Just needs a HDD. The software is pretty slick too. There are of course other kits with more cameras included. That one linked comes with 4, but with ports for up to 8 total.
    This would be a easier setup for you to do. Only problem with these types of DIY systems is distance, if your going over say 75' you might want to get some POE injectors as the onboard one in the DVR isnt that great. I have never used a system like this so as far as durability, I have no clue.

If you want to make your own system, I can help, if you need to save money on a bundled setup it will probably do the job, just remember, your upload speed is what will cause all the headaches when viewing remotely.

Shouldn't need injectors here. The cameras are only 5W, which even type 1 poe has ample power (12W @ 100m).
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Specs dont = performance.

I have cameras that while under 300' still need a injector or amplifier and that happens on poe switches with 6amp output on a 8 port switch.

I doubt for the cost of that setup there is a good poe psu in there and distance = resistance plus any other underlying factors involved.

Edit@newegg: while reading reviews on said system, people actually had to get injectors for under 100' well under 100m (329').
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-03-18 at 08:05 PM.

Thinking to buy this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zmodo-ZM-SS8...-/291799633170

Opinions?