Ray D Tear as Marksman

Having some difficulty getting Ray (brawlers) down before either damage or enrage overtakes me. I'm consistently getting to 5%-8%.

What talents did you use?
    When did you pop drums?
    Tips to avoid taking damage?
    etc.

Thanks!

I assume your pet is tanking. Try using a pet that can lust if you aren't doing that already: there are non-exotic pets that do this such as nether rays.

If you aren't, use full consumables: rune, food, flask. Use the BRAWLER'S guild potion since it gives 3000 stats while the normal prolonged power potion gives just 2500. Remember to pre-pot and do NOT delay the 2nd-potion or else you will lose a lot of it to enrage.

One tip I used was standing next to the boss during Kormrok phase so that when I got targeted by the hand I could continue focusing the boss down with single-target while passive splash damage got the hand down. Of course this is depending on what your health allows. I did this as BM where my Dire Beast Stomp talent would get the hand down, but I'd imagine you could do it in a similar fashion as MM with Piercing Shot/Explosive Shot.

Consider gear/legendary/talent choices that are more beneficial for 2-minute pure single target fights.

5-8% is within the realm of killing it given good RNG. You could also come back after getting one or two good gear upgrades and probably kill it a lot easier.

Oh, and make sure you are using the best gems/enchants available: that means no +100 gems or stuff like that. Use the expensive stuff.

Drums at the start or after the pillar spawns?

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got him down. Used drums at the start. Trickshot. Patient Sniper, Crows, Turtle pet to tank, double brawlers prolonged pots. Had plenty time left (fight took 1 min 37 seconds). Tank pet and drums at start really helped. I had been using lone Wolf and drumming after the pillar. 678k DPS.