Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What ever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all"

I was taught this by my parents growing up and I think I'm pretty respectful and courteous because of it. With that said it, it also means I notice a lot of disrespect thrown my way because I'm not willing to force a confrontation just because someone disrespected me. Nowadays, everyone is so nasty to each other, always wanting to be first to throw the first sucker punch or underhanded insult. When did this start happening? I remember a time when labels didn't exist. I feel like we are growing less mature as a society. What is going on?
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buildapanda View Post
    I was taught this by my parents growing up and I think I'm pretty respectful and courteous because of it. With that said it, it also means I notice a lot of disrespect thrown my way because I'm not willing to force a confrontation just because someone disrespected me. Nowadays, everyone is so nasty to each other, always wanting to be first to throw the first sucker punch or underhanded insult. When did this start happening? I remember a time when labels didn't exist. I feel like we are growing less mature as a society. What is going on?
    Are we speaking IRL or online because in my experience people usually do follow this rule IRL, if they don't like you they ignore you.

What ever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all"

The internet.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe due to the amount of information we obtain now on a daily basis the world looks a whole lot more grim then it did before while nothing has actually changed that much, there was always a crisis in some shape or form, things are a lot more closer to home now and economically things aren't doing that great to what we hoped looking at how our parents and grandparents had it, we can thank them for that legacy they left us.

Maybe you had the luxury to somewhat be shielded by most it but society has always been pretty much a place where if you don't bite back you will face quite a bit of disrespect your way, as respect is earned not given and being nice all the time can be seen as a weakness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

The internet
    /thread
    /10

Deleted

The internet.
    People in general just seem rude these days. They sadly pass the attitutde to their children, which also seems to be amplified every generation.

Everyone is treating their kids like little princes and princesses. They can do no wrong, arent corrected when screaming or foulmouthing.
    Did they do something wrong at school and the teacher send them home or stay after school? The parents will show up at school, they let him/her have it and in the end it's all the teachers fault.

Above else, I wonder why people are just also so damn loud these days. Screaming is not talking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    People in general just seem rude these days. They sadly pass the attitutde to their children, which also seems to be amplified every generation.

Everyone is treating their kids like little princes and princesses. They can do no wrong, arent corrected when screaming or foulmouthing.
    Did they do something wrong at school and the teacher send them home or stay after school? The parents will show up at school, they let him/her have it and in the end it's all the teachers fault.

Above else, I wonder why people are just also so damn loud these days. Screaming is not talking.
    Because parents are scrutinized beyond belief over discipline now so we're stuck with brats, plus TV now glorifies narcissistic cunts so naturally kids emulate this

I prefer the saying, "what you say should be at least two of true, necessary, and kind". If you're unkind, at least have what you're saying be true and necessary.

Of course, I violate that rule all the time. Snark is fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, you not wanting to force a confrontation or an attempt at acting like a decent human-being these days means you're a beta cuck who is offensively PC apparently .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

speak softly and carry a big stick; only weaklings feel a need to mock others (different from a fraternal critique)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuckatron5000 View Post
    Nah, you not wanting to force a confrontation or an attempt at acting like a decent human-being these days means you're a beta cuck who is offensively PC apparently .
    As opposed to being a cis white male scum.

Nowadays, the usual suspects are persuaded that them sprouting racist drivel is ''having an opinion''. And they call other snowflake.

Remarkably too, insulting people is seen as manly-I struggle a lot to understand why screaming CUCK to random people you will never met make you a man, but...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    That cis white male scum club is quite discriminatory, since you don't get it if you are ''liberal'' (read, if you are to the left of Gengis Khan), if you don't have a gas guzzler car, if you don't have twenty different handguns...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    Oh you poor thing . Please show me on the doll where the evil feminazi triggered you.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

On the political angle, it seems like "conservatives" became liberal in behavior and personality. Or at least people are generally liberal about the things they don't care about - that guy can preach anti gay things because he's on our tribe attacking someone else. But this liberal attitude shifts when it's some atheist making a joke about Catholics and little boys. So when it comes to not saying anything if it ain't nice, most people seem to apply it, just along tribal lines. In the end people are more careful and protectionist about what is said to their friends and laissez-faire when it targets their enemies. I'm very conservative on this topic, probably by nature/personality, so I usually tread carefully even when it comes to an enemy.

Deleted
    Snow flakes beginning to mistake constructive criticism as "sucker punches" and "insults" is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadpants View Post
    Snow flakes beginning to mistake constructive criticism as "sucker punches" and "insults" is what happened.
    Snowflakes being persuaded that sending pictures of genitals and guns to people who says things they don't like is ''constructive criticism'' is what happened.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The internet.
    Woke.

10 char.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cuckatron5000 View Post
    Oh you poor thing . Please show me on the doll where the evil feminazi triggered you.
    No.

This isn't doing it for me.

Change back to Assbandit. My reality has been unforgivably altered.

If we all followed these morals the moderators would have nobody to show favoritism to.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

We convinced the world that words hurt , so now you can hurt someone without physically doing so. Much easier to effect someone emotionally than it is pulhysically.

Was a much simpler time when words were just words and people shut the fuck up when they didn't have something positive to say.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

I'm all in favor of blunt honesty even when it isn't "nice".

Also "I remember a time when labels didn't exist" no you don't. It's just become more pervasive with the internet having a wider scope of people you interact with, causing your brain to categorize them because there is no way to properly understand all 7.1 billion people in detail. We've been categorizing each other since the first tribe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.