Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

First launch of a reused first stage by SpaceX

Launch in 50 minutes

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    Explosion or no explosion? Place your bets!
    Last edited by Puupi; 2017-03-30 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    cmon cool explosion.

And the reused first stage has done its job. Now to recover it (and for the 2nd stage to finish its job).
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Cut the feed on strategic moment, FAKE NEWS! jk. Thats cool :P

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    is this the same rocket from the first one? Just caught the landing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Successful landing!

Now the 2nd stage just hangs around waiting for the transfer burn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    is this the same rocket from the first one?
    It was the first rocket they landed on the drone ship. It was used for the CRS-8 mission, sending supplies to the ISS.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It was the first rocket they landed on the drone ship. It was used for the CRS-8 mission, sending supplies to the ISS.

Nice, be a huge savings in space travel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Nice, be a huge savings in space travel.
    Very. Even if they can only use them twice, that cuts the price down by about 40%.

And they were saying on the stream that they think they might be able to use each rocket 30 times. That would bring the price down to less than 1/4 what it is now, with the $12 million second stage being almost the entire cost.

And second burn successful. Just waiting on satellite deployment.
    Last edited by Masark; 2017-03-30 at 10:55 PM.

It does remain to be seen how much refurbishment they did on this stage. I anticipate this will be reduced as time goes on, by design tweaks to beef up components that showed excessive wear, and by just avoiding lots of inspection they may have wanted to do initially here.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It does remain to be seen how much refurbishment they did on this stage. I anticipate this will be reduced as time goes on, by design tweaks to beef up components that showed excessive wear, and by just avoiding lots of inspection they may have wanted to do initially here.
    They've already got a new version in progress.

ELI5 of the importance of this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Sending stuff to space will become cheaper, potentially under $1000/kilogram.

It also provides proof of concept for their Mars plans.

Musk reports the first intact landing (in the Atlantic) of half the payload fairing (which separates and is jettisoned once the booster is above the atmosphere).

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine if every time you wanted to drive somewhere your car blew up in the process. Add in the fact that your car might not even make it to your destination. You wouldn't drive that much would you? Now imagine a car that you could drive anywhere and only had to worry about filling it up with fuel.

Being able to launch rockets and reuse a portion of the launch vehicle means much cheaper launches. Cheaper telecommunication satellites means better service for those who aren't interested in the scientific applications of cheaper space flights.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The major takeaway is that launches are expensive not because of propellant (which is very cheap, especially liquid oxygen, which is extremely cheap in bulk), but because of the hardware. Reuse can potentially greatly reduce cost of launching mass into space.

If energy cost alone was what drove launch cost, flying into orbit would be about as expensive as flying to Australia on an airliner.

The reuse is particularly important for the Falcon Heavy, where three out of the four cores will be recoverable/reusable.

Somehow I think we have done reuseable space vehicles before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The reuse is particularly important for the Falcon Heavy, where three out of the four cores will be recoverable/reusable.
    2 out of 3, not 3 out of 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Somehow I think we have done reuseable space vehicles before.
    The shuttles? The shuttle wasn't a rocket and had to rated for human spaceflight.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

People who were wrong about everything: @lockedout.