Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Sexism against women in the video game industry

Hi all, I am working on a pretty major research paper/argumentative essay and I chose to argue against this belief that video games are sexist against women and discourage women from entering the industry as either a gamer or a developer.

While looking fr sources I have found many posts from more feminist pro websites, it's a topic many people are biased about and there is not much middle ground, most of the sources I have found are from people outside the industry looking into it with a skewed lens. I would like to hear your thoughts on this as well (I would like to incorporate some peoples personal opinions in as well)

But if you know any reliable websites for this sort of stuff as well, that would be great.

So, to sum up, do you think the games industry is "sexist" towards women and do you think women are discouraged from entering the industry because of this? And do you know some non biased reliable sites for it.

EDIT: Some people seem to have misunderstood my point, that is what happens when I start a thread so early in the morning I suppose, the essay is based around a subjective topic, we have to argue our point and try to refute counter claims (while avoiding 1st person) with sources, Surprised people haven't done anything similar, it's not the kind of assignment you just start over when there are fewer sources for you compared to against you, just means you have to dig deeper.

SO, argumentative essay that involves taking a stance on a topic and arguing the point, my topic is sexism in video games and how it is not an issue and barely exists entirely, and no one should feel discouraged from becoming a gamer because they are worried their gender is treated so poorly

Last edited by ryanmahaffe; 2017-04-11 at 02:50 AM.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Hi all, I am working on a pretty major research paper/argumentative essay and I chose to argue against this belief that video games are sexist against women and discourage women from entering the industry as either a gamer or a developer.

While looking fr sources I have found many posts from more feminist pro websites, it's a topic many people are biased about and there is not much middle ground, most of the sources I have found are from people outside the industry looking into it with a skewed lens. I would like to hear your thoughts on this as well (I would like to incorporate some peoples personal opinions in as well)

But if you know any reliable websites for this sort of stuff as well, that would be great.

So, to sum up, do you think the games industry is "sexist" towards women and do you think women are discouraged from entering the industry because of this? And do you know some non biased reliable sites for it.

Unless you're Trump bullshitting about Obama wiretapping Trump Tower then ordering his subordinates to search for the evidence, you should be starting with the evidence first, not the conclusion first.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing you could do is to look at the production staff of a few major studios and look at their gender distribution ratios, ideally over time. Then at least you'll have some actual data rather than just people's hateful opinions.

Also be prepared to abandon your hypothesis if the data just doesn't show equal representation.

Not again this shit.
    People suck at their job and blame misogony for their shortcomings. nothing more, nothing less.

10+ Year Old Account

AFter about an hour of research you will find that women are not only a big part of the gaming industry, they have been the heads of studios that have made insanely popular games.

Ever heard of Sierra? Pretty much started it all.
    Ever heard of Paradox Interactive, the studio who created Cities Skylines?

I could go on for hours.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2017-04-10 at 01:52 PM.

I work in the gaming industry (not gonna say where but we're not a tiny basement studio). It's very obvious that there are more men but it's not because we don't want women. They are just not as interested in video games atm but it's increasing and going in the right direction. We have a lot of very smart, fun and professional female designers, artists, managers, leads, etc. There's also no salarial differences between male and female of the same job title and experience as far as I know.

That being said, I don't expect the entire industry to be like that. Here all is good and there's literally no trace of sexism against women.

Hope that helps for your research.
    Last edited by Swalload; 2017-04-10 at 02:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Start with feminist freq... oh god no please no, you should start first looking for information about the industry rather than going deep into the conclussion first, it's not as simple as just "sexism" to begin with, you could point at the breach between female/male genders when joining a developer carreer, you'll realize that more females tend to prefer other jobs or carreer routes.

Feels like a fucking big bait.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    One thing you could do is to look at the production staff of a few major studios and look at their gender distribution ratios, ideally over time. Then at least you'll have some actual data rather than just people's hateful opinions.

Also be prepared to abandon your hypothesis if the data just doesn't show equal representation.
    Lack of representation is in no way proof of sexism or discrimination.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Actually, women are priviledged when entering the industry. Being a girl and a good looking one on top of that will get you fame within a very short amount of time within the gaming communities. It works like everything else. This goes for being on YouTube, twitch, hosting gaming conferences and everything else.

When it comes to being a developer, I'm sure we can all agree that it is not a type of job women would generally prefer/love. There probably are a lot of them, but the number is miniscule in comparison to their male counterparts simply because it is usually not within their spectrum of interest.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2017-04-10 at 02:14 PM.

Deleted
    first time I hear of something like that.

though in 2017 you can't even be sure if people just complain because they get attention or are in genuine danger.

The video game industry is not sexist. Video games appeal more to males so the developers makes more games that appeal to men.

And if the video game industry is sexist is the clothing industry sexist aswell for making more women clothing than men?

Quote Originally Posted by narendal94 View Post
    The video game industry is not sexist. Video games appeal more to males so the developers makes more games that appeal to men.

And if the video game industry is sexist is the clothing industry sexist aswell for making more women clothing than men?
    It is an odd thing.

Females within the industry say its not any harder for them than for males.

Females outside the industry say it is harder for females than males.

Some indie devs whine how its harder for females while being their own boss. But then again, the male indie devs whine too so this seems more like a general "Looking for something to complain about" than anything.

I suppose you could look how some female devs are harassed on social media from time to time. But male devs are too so its a bit of a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    It is an odd thing.

Females within the industry say its not any harder for them than for males.

Females outside the industry say it is harder for females than males.

Some indie devs whine how its harder for females while being their own boss. But then again, the male indie devs whine too so this seems more like a general "Looking for something to complain about" than anything.

I suppose you could look how some female devs are harassed on social media from time to time. But male devs are too so its a bit of a moot point.
    Completely agree, I think there's some sequels of a few bad events still lingering around or something. People probably stick to a bad opinion that was one said, generalized everything and think nothing changed.

Also don't think the situation in the industry is anything like what people who don't work in it say. They are outside, they really have no clue =/

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Unless you're Trump bullshitting about Obama wiretapping Trump Tower then ordering his subordinates to search for the evidence, you should be starting with the evidence first, not the conclusion first.
    The issue is mainly that you will most likely only find crap on feminist websites and those jammering about #gamergate that indeed, the industry is sexist against women.
    You would actually need to be able to contact women in the industry to know the real story...
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats why i have problems with social science nowadays. Screw the scientific method, lets just use the data and the method that fits our previously estabilished conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Thats why i have problems with social science nowadays. Screw the scientific method, lets just use the data and the method that fits our previously estabilished conclusion.
    Are you implying that people who mention how harder it is for women are actually using real data? Thats kinda been their main criticism: all they use is opinions pieces and unrelated information.

you would need data on applicants for positions, can't hire women if they are not applying for the jobs.... I highly doubt that information would be something a company would release to just anyone.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest argument you can use is the absolute lack of proof of said sexism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Not again this shit.
    People suck at their job and blame misogony for their shortcomings. nothing more, nothing less.
    did you even READ what the op typed? i bet not. she/he is writing a paper arguing AGAINST sexism in the video game industry and is looking for non biased sources of info.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The biggest argument you can use is the absolute lack of proof of said sexism.
    just because something hasn't been proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist....science demonstrates that all the time with new discoveries.

also op please don't use opinion blogs for your source of information. your teacher will likely realize what your doing and give you a big fat f or a really low grade. if your supposed to be writing a paper arguing against something you usually collect data that is objective.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-04-10 at 04:35 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

If it's "pretty major research" you're doing, ask actual women in the games industry. And actual men for that matter, about how they broke in, issues they faced finding jobs. Compare and contrast.