MST3K: The Return

Anyone gotten around to watching this yet? Thoughts?

I've seen the first episode so far and I'm on the second one now. It's ok. It's not horrible, but it's also nothing special either. The heckling is honestly too tame and too safe. Some of the original MST3K's funniest stuff was just plain savage. I LOVED their shredding of Hobgoblins, for example. I hope that they get edgier and funnier in the future episodes.

The hosts aren't too bad, and I know that the people in this are talented. I just wish the writing was better and let them shine a bit more. It's just not as funny as it should be to bear the name of MST3K. I'll keep watching though, maybe it'll get better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to be watching Reptilicus tonight. I've heard mixed reviews.

Part of the problem is that most of the people who like/watch MST3K are die-hards. You aren't going to find many people who just pick it up randomly to watch it. Given that, these people who know Trumpy, Gamera, and David Ryder, they'll be scrutinizing it thoroughly. It's hard to please people when they're so intent on picking it apart.

Granted, it's been nearly two decades. It will take a bit of easing into for Joel (in directing) to smooth the rough edges. But that's part of the charm. Sometimes its hit, sometimes its miss, and it's made that way by design.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

Part of the problem is that most of the people who like/watch MST3K are die-hards. You aren't going to find many people who just pick it up randomly to watch it. Given that, these people who know Trumpy, Gamera, and David Ryder, they'll be scrutinizing it thoroughly. It's hard to please people when they're so intent on picking it apart.

Granted, it's been nearly two decades. It will take a bit of easing into for Joel (in directing) to smooth the rough edges. But that's part of the charm. Sometimes its hit, sometimes its miss, and it's made that way by design.
    Yeah, it's not really fair to judge it against the old and be upset that any changes were made. To me, the biggest issue is that the writing isn't very clever or funny. It just isn't as sharp or as good as the old at skewering bad movies. The old MST3K was ridiculously quotable, and their jokes were usually on point. The new one isn't really there yet. It's like the child of a brilliant artist or scientist that isn't terrible at art or science, but also isn't really as good as its father was. That's really my only concern.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2017-04-15 at 08:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

That being said, I mostly only know of its existence from watching Game Grumps (they're huge fans), and I love Patton Oswalt, so if I did watch, I would probably end up really enjoying it.

I'm on episode 3, the Time Travelers. I liked this and the second episode WAAAAY, way more than Reptilicus. Much, much better writing and joke delivery.

Looking forward to setting some time aside to check this out. Loved watching the original when I was younger and the cast seems fairly solid. I think show was best with Mike and the bots tho. Corbett as Crow is gonna be hard to beat for me <3

10+ Year Old Account
    wasn't as funny as the originals. host isnt very good either
    Hi

Deleted
    Watched the first 2, not really a fan.

Will stick to Rifftrax.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am on the 4th episode now and it's pretty good. The only thing I really don't like is Servo's voice is too high pitched and all three are too similar to the point where it is difficult to tell them apart at times. Also, what is with Gypsy randomly dropping in to deliver a single line near the start and end of each episode? It feels completely out of place and is really distracting. Patton Oswalt as TV's son of TV's Frank is easily the best part of the whole thing. I wish he was in it more. He would have been amazing as the new Crow or something.

I've been a MSTie since the show first started on Comedy Central (season 2, I think) and I've enjoyed the new episodes every bit as much as I did the old ones. I'm getting pretty much exactly what I wanted from the show and if the crew can get another season out of Netflix--or another Kickstarter--I'm certain it'll be even better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got done with the first episode. Besides the voices being a little jarringly different, it still rings true to that same old MST3K charm.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.