Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    While I like tinkering with the 2 Ryzen builds I have, if I were you I would wait for Ryzen 2. Memory issues are all over the place and are very inconsistent. The one I am on right now, if I do a reboot, it doesn't want to boot back up the first time, it reboots 2 times then I get a clean boot and sometimes it resets the memory to 2133.

Will that get updated? Maybe, So far no, in some cases it has on higher end boards, but for the most part its still a big issue on all b350s and memory manufacturers are seeing the Ryzen runs better at higher memory speeds and they are gouging the hell out of 3200+ modules that actually wont run faster than 2933 currently, and that is on high-end X370 boards such as the ROG by Asus at $259.

I know others are going to slam this, but if I were you, knowing what I know with these 2 Ryzen builds I have, how much time i have spent on jumping from bios to bios to get the best stability and have and all the little annoyances, I would wait for the second generations or I would get a i5-7600k or spring a $100 extra bucks and get the i7-7700K if I needed it now.

It is all you would need for at least a few years.

Ryzen will most likely be a more stable platform once the next gens come, at this moment, its new and knowing what I know. I wouldn't buy the 2 setups I have again.
    I can understand most of what you are getting at except the waiting for Ryzen 2 part. I just can't see how AMD could leave a processor out there for over a year without fixing something like that. Any issues they have won't need to wait until Ryzen 2 to be fixed. The BIOS and other issues should be fixed within the next couple of months. These processors are the same at heart as those that are going into servers. You can be sure that AMD will not jeopardize that market for anything because that's their bread and butter.

I myself am waiting for the second wave of motherboards to come out. I'm afraid to buy a motherboard and find out months down the road that there is an irreconcilable hardware flaw (like my day-one P8P67 PRO), though really as soon as they release a Mini-ITX board with decent VRM cooling I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Are there any downsides of having just one stick of ram at start? Was thinking of going with 8gb of 3000mhz ram which is single stick and possible getting another if/when needed.
    Not really. Ryzen likes RAM clockspeed more than anything else due to the way the core interconnect speed is based off RAM frequency. Bandwidth - 64-bit versus 128-bit, anyway - doesn't seem to matter a whole lot, and hasn't since Sandy Bridge at least.
    Super casual.

The 1600 is SOLD OUT at my local microcenter.

I have never seen that before, either they got really bad stock or it just is that popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    The 1600 is SOLD OUT at my local microcenter.

I have never seen that before, either they got really bad stock or it just is that popular.
    Sold out by me too and they only have 7 1600X's in stock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Sold out by me too and they only have 7 1600X's in stock.
    Mine is 100% sold out of Ryzen period. 0.o

They do have 7700k's for sale at $249 in store / 1 per person only. (It's really $299 but they're giving away $50 gift cards with purchase.)
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to see AMD picking up Intel's slack, finally some competition for the midrange again.

Id just wait until Coffee Lake is out (maybe in August)

should have 6C/6T and 6C/12T mainstream with high IPC and high clocks and should beat both Ryzens and Kabys .. excellent gaming CPUs

though if it doesnt fit into the budget then nvm

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    Id just wait until Coffee Lake is out (maybe in August)

should have 6C/6T and 6C/12T mainstream with high IPC and high clocks and should beat both Ryzens and Kabys .. excellent gaming CPUs

though if it doesnt fit into the budget then nvm
    Intel wont have more than 4C on their mainstream CPUs for at least one generation. Their plan is instead to make a new enthusiast platform cheaper and add cheap 4C to it. Coffee Lake is gonna be another clock bump on the same achitecture and manufacturing process.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Intel wont have more than 4C on their mainstream CPUs for at least one generation. Their plan is instead to make a new enthusiast platform cheaper and add cheap 4C to it. Coffee Lake is gonna be another clock bump on the same achitecture and manufacturing process.
    Coffee L on 14++nm process is going to be 6C mainstream (6C/6T - i5, 6C/12T - i7)

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...a-results.html
    http://segmentnext.com/2017/04/24/in...-core-desktop/

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-la...re-cpu-leaked/
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-04-24 at 03:11 PM.

That's speculation at this point. All of it will only matter if those parts will be compatible with all LGA1151 boards, feature hyperthreading, the same IPC performance as new 4 cores and the same thermal range (meaning wont require new coolers, so sub 120W TDP). My money is on that those CPUs will require new chipsets, making them effectively irrelevant, regardless of price.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2017-04-24 at 03:59 PM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

irrelevant to you maybe

plenty of users and esp gamers will jump on a CPU thats close to a ~6700K/7700K in terms of IPC/clocks, but with with +2C/4T (and also some more cache)

all hail the new Gaming King

irrelevant to you maybe

plenty of users and esp gamers will jump on a CPU thats close to a ~6700K/7700K in terms of IPC/clocks, but with with +2C/4T (and also some more cache)

all hail the new Gaming King
    It's the same architecture, so given the current games it wont be faster than a 4c/8t for gaming.

yes it will

because even 6800K/6850K & 6900K, which have both lower IPC and esp clocks then 6700K/7700K, can tie and sometimes even beat the latter in some games .. and when averaged across the board on all games they are pretty close overall

if you were to add IPC and clocks to BW-E it will outright beat 7700K in gaming

you should update your info on modern game benchmarks, 2015-2017 games do scale beyond 4c/8t (and even Crysis 3 from 2013) .. ofc its not linear (fps doesnt rise by 1.5x going from 4c to 6c), but its there

from 6c to 8c though there is indeed very little benefit atm

yes it will

because even 6800K/6850K & 6900K, which have both lower IPC and esp clocks then 6700K/7700K, can tie and sometimes even beat the latter in some games .. and when averaged across the board on all games they are pretty close overall

if you were to add IPC and clocks to BW-E it will outright beat 7700K in gaming
    Well if Z370 (or whatever it's gonna be called) will bring 4 channel memory then I agree. On current boards it wont. Also, I'm not saying it wont beat 7700K, I'm talking about 8700K. Clocks and overclocking potential will updoubtly go down with addition of cores on the same architecture.

you should update your info on modern game benchmarks, 2015-2017 games do scale beyond 4c/8t (and even Crysis 3 from 2013) .. ofc its not linear (fps doesnt rise by 1.5x going from 4c to 6c), but its there

from 6c to 8c though there is indeed very little benefit atm
    You can count those games by finger of one hand. GTA V, Watch Dogs 2, Ashes of Singularity (which is more a benchmark than a game), Battlefield 1 (Battlefield 4 and ME:A as it's the same engine), Crysis 3. That's it. And it's not about to change in the next couple of years, even if sales of 6+ core CPUs skyrocket. Average gaming PC is till powered by a 2c CPU. Most popular game engines are Unreal Engine and Unity, and both of those have problems with DX12 support, even though it's almost 3 years old. There are going to be games using their own engines which will make full use of all CPU power you have, but those will be very limited for a lot of time to come.

Deleted
    Do you know what mainstream means?

If Intel prices those 6 core at mainstream prices then yes, its proper mainstream but something is telling me they will still price things as high as they currently are.

$100 ish is mainstream for pricing on components, not $300, mainstream effects the whole ecosystem and looking at video game sales for PC. there has been no true mainstream performance CPU in a very very long time, theres no proper compelling buy until the quad cores from Ryzen show up from the R3 series.

Do you know what mainstream means?
    do you ?

Intel mainstream means H-Z 170/270/370 platform/features (and thus mobo prices) instead of X79/99/299 (where top mobos can cost 500$+)

AMD is no different, all their current Ryzen line, including the $500 1800X is "mainstream" on the 320-370 mobos

whereas their HEDT line with the potential upcoming 12c-16c CPUs is going to be on the more expensive X399 mobos

thats all .. noone is going to give you $100 hexacores/octacores (especially with the level of IPC/clocks/OC that 8700K is expected to have), nor should they

If Intel prices those 6 core at mainstream prices then yes, its proper mainstream but something is telling me they will still price things as high as they currently are.
    if you mean that the 6c/12t 8700K is going to cost about as much as the 6700K/7700K did at launch, then yes of course it will (most likely IMHO) .. you dont have to buy it if you dont want to

Clocks and overclocking potential will updoubtly go down with addition of cores on the same architecture.
    we'll see

but they will still be above BW-E (~6800K/6850K) level, as will the IPC, and that should be enough to beat/tie 7700K

Deleted
    do you ?

Intel mainstream means H-Z 170/270/370 platform/features (and thus mobo prices) instead of X79/99/299 (where top mobos can cost 500$+)

AMD is no different, all their current Ryzen line, including the $500 1800X is "mainstream" on the 320-370 mobos
    Lol, ok you don't know, mainstream is what the majority of the mass market can afford, you are referring to the high performance segment, most people have a budget for parts especially for CPUs are around $100.

As much as someone like Linustechtips tries to classify products by its performance bracket as 'mainstream', its actually dictated by price, and price is king of anything, I will keep hammering this home but theres a reason why the best selling PC game in 2016 is farming simulator 2017 with under a million units sold and being only number 67 on the overall rankings.

Let that sink home to what mainstream is and why console game sales utterly demolish PC game sales, most people can't afford decent parts or I should rather say, people don't provide good and broad enough information about the components and try to think I7s as being the standard and considered 'mainstream' even though its out of reach for most buyers.

Also you realise the R5 1400 is around $150 right?, thats a 8 threaded CPU for almost half the price of the Intel I7, the price is lowering, and prices do need to come down, otherwise you will be stuck with a losing battle with PC game ports, mean just go back to the above to understand why, devs won't produce good ports most of the time and some games won't get released at all because they know damn well it won#t sell much, which is badddddddd.

By the way, in regards to your remark 'you dont have to buy it if you dont want to', I currently own a 5820K .
    Last edited by mmoc80f347fccc; 2017-04-24 at 11:31 PM.

you have no idea about terminology or what lol

Intel "mainstream" is meant (and is commonly used everywhere) to differentiate from the Intel HEDT platform/mobos .. non-HEDT includes both H170/H270 mobos (pretty cheap) and Z170/Z270 mobos (more expensive)

thats all, dont get so triggered by the word "mainstream"

up till now Intel 6c or above was only on HEDT, but with Coffee 6c should come to "mainstream" platform (and potentially work on 270 or maybe even 170 mobos, but that remains to be seen)

As much as someone like Linustechtips tries to classify products by its performance bracket as 'mainstream', its actually dictated by price, and price is king of anything, I will keep hammering this home but theres a reason why the best selling PC game in 2016 is farming simulator 2017 with under a million units sold and being only number 67 on the overall rankings.

Let that sink home to what mainstream is and why console game sales utterly demolish PC game sales, most people can't afford decent parts or I should rather say, people don't provide good and broad enough information about the components and try to think I7s as being the standard and considered 'mainstream' even though its out of reach for most buyers.

Also you realise the R5 1400 is around $150 right?, thats a 8 threaded CPU for almost half the price of the Intel I7, the price is lowering, and prices do need to come down, otherwise you will be stuck with a losing battle with PC game ports, mean just go back to the above to understand why, devs won't produce good ports most of the time and some games won't get released at all because they know damn well it won#t sell much, which is badddddddd.
    all of that is entirely irrelevant both to myself and to the topic at hand

have a nice day
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-04-25 at 12:15 AM.

imo ryzen. just because wow is a single thread doesn't mean they wont optimize it for ryzen next expansion. I can't see them not doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnige View Post
    imo ryzen. just because wow is a single thread doesn't mean they wont optimize it for ryzen next expansion. I can't see them not doing that.
    when pigs fly

and optimize or not - wont change the fact that Ryzen1 has lower IPC and clocks then Intels