Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Class story order

I was wondering if there's a particular optimal order in which to experience the class stories. Does it matter at all? Is there an over-arching story that makes more sense if you do them in a set order?

Nope, each is a self contained story largely running parallel to all the others...at least as far as I know/remember. Play through them in whatever order you want, I ended up largely switching back and forth between factions and force/non-force users just to make sure I was changing things up.

Everything takes place at the same time. Just like Edge said, try to switch it up between the classes to enjoy the story and gameplay. Although, if I remember correctly, the presence of the Sith Warrior has been mentioned in the Jedi Knight story. So it might be fun to play those 2 after eachother, other then that I can't think of anything.
    Oh just in case, I'll list the advanced classes from the Empire and Republic which mirror eachother, meaning that gameplay wise they are the exact same but the names and visuals of the abilities are different:

Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight (Marauder/Sentinel - Juggernaut/Guardian)
    Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular (Sorceror/Sage - Assassin/Shadow)
    Bounty Hunter and Trooper (Mercenary/Commando - Powertech/Vanguard)
    Imperial Agent and Smuggler (Sniper/Gunslinger - Operative/Scoundrel)

So there are 8 different story classes for you to enjoy I think gameplay wise it should take you about roughly 10-15 hours (could be more, but I slightly skip through conversation as I read them through quickly). Do keep in mind that you'll probably have to do some Planetary Missions to keep up with the experience levels, or Flashpoints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    I was wondering if there's a particular optimal order in which to experience the class stories. Does it matter at all? Is there an over-arching story that makes more sense if you do them in a set order?
    There is no real order. I would say that some planetary stories on contested systems happen in different time for the Empire or the Republic. The Empire story seems to generally be happening slightly before the Republic story. It is clear in Quesh and Corellia, at least. However, you wont be confused if you play Republic first, so do whatever you like.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

I would HIGHLY recommend you do IA last of the 8, not only is one of the best but it also has small ties with the other stories.

Ok, thanks for the tips people.

I would say a good order would be Consular, Warrior and Knight. Each of these classes have something in common with the Emperor within their own class stories. I did this order just because it worked well for me in a Story arcing type of way. None are interconnected but they all deal with the Emperor.

All other classes are just random people whose stories are told kinda like a Star Wars Anthology novel.

IA has ties to at least 3 other class stories. I'd recommend doing it first and last, but playing it differently as it's the only story that has hugely different outcomes that impact the story slightly. JK would have 2 but people bitched in Beta about it and you always get the same outcome, just slightly different dialogue.

Agree with @WoWGoneBad, Consular > Knight > Warrior, as the Warrior one ends just after the Knights, and the Consular happens at the same time as the Knights.

Inquisitor can be done alongside the Warrior, though I think it takes place slightly after the Warrior based on the final C3 cinematic.

BH is just bad, imo. There's almost no redeeming factor for it. Do it whenever you want to kill a few hours.

Smuggler is mediocre, do it either before or after IA.

Trooper is mediocre, do it after the Consular though.

IA is incredible. I'd make another Operative but I just can't bring myself to level again.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post

BH is just bad, imo. There's almost no redeeming factor for it. Do it whenever you want to kill a few hours.

Smuggler is mediocre, do it either before or after IA.

Trooper is mediocre, do it after the Consular though.

IA is incredible. I'd make another Operative but I just can't bring myself to level again.
    While the story itself is quite mediocre, it does fit the class fantasty very well. Smuggler interacts the way you think it would. The Trooper is a more millitary based story. And the Bounty Hunter is all about the glorious hunt itself.

EDIT: I do have to admit I can't stand the Smuggler because of all it's puns and slapstick humor.

Deleted
    It doesn't matter to me what I started with I just pick the one that was the most interesting on both sides. That was 4 years ago and now I have completed all stories.

While there isn't any definitive order to play them, I would definitely agree with others that say to play the agent last. It is noted as having the best story and the one with the most tie ins to the other stories. I'm personally on my bounty hunter now, but my order is Knight, BH, Inquis/consular, Smuggler, Warrior, Trooper, Inquis/Consular, agent. Then the knights expansions on which ever character and playstyle I like the most I tried to alternate between pub/imp, melee/range, and light/dark/neutral although I know I kind of screwed that up already. Still not sure whether to do inquisitor or consular next after I finish my bounty hunter.

The stores -don't- happen at the same time.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

There is a definite timeline that the stories of each classes is spread on.

A couple stories happen after some others classes, some classes have large breaks between certain chapters where other classes chapters/plots/stories happen sometimes.

The imperial agents story for example starts at some point after the Jedi Knights second chapter (I think it may even be after his story ends entirely, but don't quote me on that). What I remember for sure is that one of the Jedi Knights Crew Members knows the Agents very first crew member and invites her to the JK ship for some reason but this happens while she is still working on Hutta before ever having met the agent, so that is a clear indicator for where these stories are placed on the entire time line.

If you pay some close attetion to political events of some sorts, you will also see/hear about certain events that happened in other classes stories in some way or form. One of the most clear indicators for example is the presence of the Emperor. In some class stories, the emperor is present and people treat and address him as such while in other chapters, people are like "Emperor is gone, nobody knows anything".

From what I remember, I am sure that Sith Inquisitor and Imperial Agent happen at some point after the JK story (or start at some point before the end). I played the Bounty Hunter Story but there is nothing I can remember that clearly points me towards saying where his story could be placed on the time line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulljin View Post
    There is a definite timeline that the stories of each classes is spread on.

A couple stories happen after some others classes, some classes have large breaks between certain chapters where other classes chapters/plots/stories happen sometimes.

The imperial agents story for example starts at some point after the Jedi Knights second chapter (I think it may even be after his story ends entirely, but don't quote me on that). What I remember for sure is that one of the Jedi Knights Crew Members knows the Agents very first crew member and invites her to the JK ship for some reason but this happens while she is still working on Hutta before ever having met the agent, so that is a clear indicator for where these stories are placed on the entire time line.

If you pay some close attetion to political events of some sorts, you will also see/hear about certain events that happened in other classes stories in some way or form. One of the most clear indicators for example is the presence of the Emperor. In some class stories, the emperor is present and people treat and address him as such while in other chapters, people are like "Emperor is gone, nobody knows anything".

From what I remember, I am sure that Sith Inquisitor and Imperial Agent happen at some point after the JK story (or start at some point before the end). I played the Bounty Hunter Story but there is nothing I can remember that clearly points me towards saying where his story could be placed on the time line.
    If the Agent's story happened after Jedi Knight's chapter 2, he couldn't go to Balmorra for his first mission out of Drommund Kaas, since it is back in the Republic at that time. Besides, Doc says that Nemro is Kalyo's old employer. As for the Bounty Hunter, shortly after he cured Nemro, Doc mentions that Nemro has been murdered by a bounty hunter. That bounty hunter is Skaggs, the Bounty Hunter's last companion. At one point he says to the BH that he has some slimy hutt to kill for revenge.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Everybody really loves the Agent Story. As somebody still in the fence, is it better to go with a light IA or dark IA?

Quote Originally Posted by quijote3000 View Post
    Everybody really loves the Agent Story. As somebody still in the fence, is it better to go with a light IA or dark IA?
    The IA is one of the few classes, if not the ONLY, class where the choices can change considerably based on alignment and there are several points throughout the story where these decision are made. I personally made a light side IA and loved it. I didn't stay strict light side though, I don't recommend doing that for any class. Pick the choice that you like the most since alignment doesn't matter at all anymore really except for titles of achievements. But the alignment meter can easily be forced one way or the other using Diplomacy as a crew skill or running Black Talon/ Esseles over and over choosing the light or dark side option to push your alignment the direction you want it to go.

I think the Knight is the only one that has an actual change if you go light/dark, and that's just the title.

Like Inquisitor is coined Darth Oculus or Darth Noctis or whatever depending on path, but then you never get called that again and can't choose it as a character title, so it's sort of pointless. IA has different endings based on choices, but you're still called up the same for future missions. It's just the nature of the game.

Consular's can destroy a planet, but the planet never gets mentioned again either way.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Deleted
    Just started play SWTOR and I had a few questions. Whats alignment for exactly? Does it change the story if I am a Jedi but with dark alignment? Also is it possible to switch sides through choices made in the game? Thanks to anyone for answering.

There's only a couple places, like previous posters said, where alignment changes things. Basically you get points for Light or Dark depending on conversation choices you make during quests. You can change alignment whenever you want simply by picking the choices you want. Say you've been Light the whole time. Simply start making Dark choices. Eventually you'll fall down to neutral then over to the other side into Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    Just started play SWTOR and I had a few questions. Whats alignment for exactly? Does it change the story if I am a Jedi but with dark alignment? Also is it possible to switch sides through choices made in the game? Thanks to anyone for answering.
    Ultimately no, alignment doesn't mean anything except for YOU and YOUR story. They can't change game play or accessibility options based on your choices otherwise some characters would have an advantage over others.

That said, game play does change a little bit depending on some choices you make. Easiest example of how your play can be affected that I can give is on Korriban there's a quest to recover the body of a soldier in the tomb of Naga Sadow and bring his remains to the boys Father who's an Imperial Guard in the Academy. The father asks if the boy almost made it or was an utter failure. The boy failed miserably. But you can lie and say he almost made it (Light side option) or tell the truth and say he didn't even make it passed the first room (Dark side option). Depending on your choice you either get your reward right then and there (Light) or the Father says your reward is in the tomb and you need to go get it yourself (Dark). Nothing too serious, and doesn't change the reward or anything over all but how you get the reward, how much time you spend on the quest and maybe some other fluff stuff changes. Ultimately though, no matter what choices you make, you're the same as every max level character at max level with the same options for game play, gearing and stuff.

In the KotFE and KotET expansions though, you have options to kill several people throughout the story, some are potential or even current companions. So depending on your choices you may or may not have the same number or the same actual companions as others but since every companion can play every role that choice doesn't really affect how you play.