Real Life Cultural Basis for the Human Kingdoms

I posted a thread talking about the real life cultural basis of the playable races, but I posted in a Geno-OT thread talking about the real life cultural influences on vibes I got from the human kingdoms and decided it was interesting enough of a topic to make a thread on.

I've always got a Medieval France vibe from Stormwind, just in terms of architecture. While Gilneas is based on Victorian England with a Gothic architectural design. Dalaran is obviously pretty Persian in terms of architecture.

I don't really know that much about Kul Tiras, Alterac, Lordaeron and Stromgarde, but I've always thought if Blizz were to implement Kul Tiras in-game, it would be cool if it had a Venetian vibe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Kul Tiras always struck me as having a Spanish vibe, although italy would work as well. Perhaps with a dash of ancient Greek influence in the upper classes.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Everything Vrykul is based on Norse mythology, even the dialect/language. Alterac feels like it takes alot of influences from Switzerland/Austria/Germany area.
    Last edited by Krille; 2017-04-22 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I posted a thread talking about the real life cultural basis of the playable races, but I posted in a Geno-OT thread talking about the real life cultural influences on vibes I got from the human kingdoms and decided it was interesting enough of a topic to make a thread on.

I've always got a Medieval France vibe from Stormwind, just in terms of architecture. While Gilneas is based on Victorian England with a Gothic architectural design. Dalaran is obviously pretty Persian in terms of architecture.

I don't really know that much about Kul Tiras, Alterac, Lordaeron and Stromgarde, but I've always thought if Blizz were to implement Kul Tiras in-game, it would be cool if it had a Venetian vibe.
    The truth is that the human kingdoms are based on broad stereotypes than actual world cultures: Gilneas is the 'foggy old Victorian London' stereotype, while the other kingdoms are broadly medieval: a strong church, a military elite in the knighthood, and a hereditary monarchy.

Something I've also noticed about Lordaeron are the little bits of Germanic languages in its nomenclature: '-holme, and -garde' for instance. I think this is simply because Warcraft has long been rumored to be Warhammer-inspired, and the 'human' civilization in that game take after the Holy Roman Empire, a Germanic medieval state. But you have a hodge-podge of names in these kingdoms: Old English 'shire', Welsh 'Caer'.

In my headcanon, I've noticed a few things: Alterac, with its mountainous altitude, squeezed in between larger land-powers, reputation for cheese and neutrality, seems very Swiss.

Kul Tiras, though there is almost 0 lore around it, would fit very nicely as Genoa or Venice, with their reputation for trade and maritime power.

Stromgarde, with their highland warrior culture, could be seen as stereo-typically Scottish.

So in short, I think it's too risky to say that the humans are inspired by anything less than broad, medieval stereotypes.

I fail to see, however, how Dalaran is 'Persian'. In fact, the domes are more reminiscent of Byzantine architecture (see Hagia Sophia) and the spires the minarets that the Turks added to it. http://eu.greekreporter.com/files/HAGIA.jpg
    Last edited by Grimo; 2017-04-22 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimo View Post
    I fail to see, however, how Dalaran is 'Persian'. In fact, the domes are more reminiscent of Byzantine architecture (see Hagia Sophia) and the spires the minarets that the Turks added to it. http://eu.greekreporter.com/files/HAGIA.jpg
    I forgot about the Byzantines, although I think they're all pretty similar. In fact I'm pretty sure Persian architecture heavily influenced Islamic and possibly Eastern Orthodox (might be wrong) architecture.

Regardless, Dalaran has a pretty cut and dry near-eastern/oriental theme compared to the other human kingdoms which seem more Western European.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I forgot about the Byzantines, although I think they're all pretty similar. In fact I'm pretty sure Persian architecture heavily influenced Islamic and possibly Eastern Orthodox (might be wrong) architecture.

Regardless, Dalaran has a pretty cut and dry near-eastern/oriental theme compared to the other human kingdoms which seem more Western European.
    Byzantine architecture was influenced by Greek and Western Roman architecture. In fact, (early) Islamic architecture was influenced by the Byzantines instead. But you were right in the sense that the Persians had an influence on Islamic architecture. They took features from many surrounding Kingdoms/Empires until it became unique itself. If we're talking more specifically about the Eastern Orthodox faith buildings though, the Persians had no influence over that. Some of it was unique, the rest can be attributed to Pagan architecture.