Page 1 of 3
LastLast

1080 to 1080TI? (FPS Drop in Raids)

I have a custom water cooled PC and for whatever reason, in raids, I will drop to 30-50 FPS. This is a big difference from my usual 90-120 FPS in dungeons or even higher doing solo stuff. I just can't figure it out. The only way I got it to a decent level of 30-50 is reducing graphics and turning AA damn near off.

Granted, I'm playing on a 3440x1440 monitor but I feel this is more of a hit at 70ms than it should.

Nevertheless, I am building a Skylake-X beast when it drops since I'll be moving from Haskell-E (I also video edit) so I was thinking of flipping my 1080 with block and grabbing a 1080TI then a second one for SLI when I build in August.

Thoughts?

I think at my resolution I should see a decent improvement in performance. 35% should be quite nice if I don't have a faulty card or something due to the FPS issue in raids.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

No matter what you build you wont have proper FPS at proper raid situation (Where everyone actually plays and spams their buttons), CPU cant handle it at setting 7+ not at a proper mythic guild as example.

Stop wasting your money.

There is a reason you have 100 FPS + with 5 people, and cant have it with 20+.

Or to rephrase myself.

With proper settings and an OCed CPU at 5GHz of the Skylake/Kaby variant you can probably maintain 60 +FPS, and by proper settings i mean all the crap eye candy off.

Unless you are showing off your money, then sure, buy the TI.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-14 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    No matter what you build you wont have proper FPS at proper raid situation (Where everyone actually plays and spams their buttons), CPU cant handle it at setting 7+ not at a proper mythic guild as example.

Stop wasting your money.

There is a reason you have 100 FPS + with 5 people, and cant have it with 20+.

Or to rephrase myself.

With proper settings and an OCed CPU at 5GHz of the Skylake/Kaby variant you can probably maintain 60 +FPS, and by proper settings i mean all the crap eye candy off.

Unless you are showing off your money, then sure, buy the TI.
    So you're saying I am being bottle necked by my CPU, even at 6 overall settings with AA off etc.

Okay, then perhaps I will just wait until Skylake-X and stick with my 1080. Or perhaps I am better off building a 4 core for higher clock speeds (depending on how Skylake-X 8 core variants are handled).

So upgrading my GPU should have absolutely no increase in performance for raid situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    So you're saying I am being bottle necked by my CPU, even at 6 overall settings with AA off etc.

Okay, then perhaps I will just wait until Skylake-X and stick with my 1080. Or perhaps I am better off building a 4 core for higher clock speeds (depending on how Skylake-X 8 core variants are handled).

So upgrading my GPU should have absolutely no increase in performance for raid situations.
    Yes/No pretty much.

Depends on resolution, depends on settings etc etc, the higher you go, the higher "less fps" you will lose if you have GPU fluff on but even so your CPU will hold you back, any CPU will hold you back, its how WoW is.

Your 1080 is good enough to handle any video setting in WoW, problem is despite that, most of the workload ends up on the CPU, especially during raids, therefor low fps.

Ideally you want a 2 core at 10GHz,(Obviously joking) to have WoW play properly.

As i said above, your best bet when it comes to WoW raid performance is a 5GHz+ Sky/Kaby lake, even then with most settings off.

And dont go by the "number slider" blizzard provides.

There are only 4(5) settings for the game to look goodish during raids and to show all the required raiding stuff.

Texture Resolution at High
    Anisotropic Filter at 16
    Projected Textures at Enabled
    Particle Density at High
    And the fifth being CMAA since it barely causes any stress on any gaming card after 2013, checked many different ones, CMAA on or Off barely causes any FPS changes unless you have a really horrible media card.
    rest settings during raids are useless and have no reason to be enabled.

And View Distance 2 if you want to look further, but useless too.

The rest settings are literally useless eye fluff, no reason to have them on during raiding, (Outline Mode during quests is godly so you can have that at High too, makes no difference )

6700K/GTX 970 and thats the only settings i have On all the time either way since 2005 and every PC i had since then.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-14 at 05:39 AM.

Yeah, you can raid just fine on a four year old GPU. WoW hammers single-core CPU performance; if you're strictly playing WoW and don't do anything else on your PC that will benefit from more than four cores, a 7700K is your best buy as they routinely overclock past 5GHz (and nearly all of them hit 4.8GHz or higher) and WoW is a draw call heavy game running one primary thread and a few smaller helper threads that benefits tremendously from fast cores and almost none from lots of cores.
    Super casual.

While technically, yes, it is a CPU bottleneck, it's really more the engine than anything. It;s just the nature of WoW.

Getting a newer CPU is not going to do much because WoW really only cares about one thing. IPC. The IPC of the newer chips is not really any better, very very small gains from generation to generation. It's just how WoW is. In raids and areas where a lot of draw calls need to be made in a short amount of time, FPS drops. It's the game and nothing you do to your system will make it better.

No, ther is virtually no difference in WoW @1080p between a 750ti and a Titan. If you're going to be playing at 1440p or 4k of course you'd want better than a 750ti, but I'm pretty sure even a 1060 is capable of maxing the game out at 1440p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    No, ther is virtually no difference in WoW @1080p between a 750ti and a Titan. If you're going to be playing at 1440p or 4k of course you'd want better than a 750ti, but I'm pretty sure even a 1060 is capable of maxing the game out at 1440p.
    This.

My 970* can run WoW at 60+ FPS at 4k ultra 10. Yes, of course, there are massive drops in frame rates in the typical situations. But nothing that becomes unplayable. My 4790k at 4.6 is more important to WoW than the GPU.

While overly simplified I always tell people that in WoW CPU = FPS and GPU = Prettiness.

*And that's at the stock profile. I removed my GPU's OC when I decided to starve it for air to make my system look pretty, lol.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Hmm, that's a bit disheartening. The only thing that makes me wonder are the videos and streams. I see a lot of streamers and tutorial videos where their 20m mythic raids seem smooth as butter.

For me, the only place things are butter smooth is in EN on fights like Xavius. Mythic Elesande, Spellblade, Tich etc etc. are pretty laggy for me.

Hmm, that's a bit disheartening. The only thing that makes me wonder are the videos and streams. I see a lot of streamers and tutorial videos where their 20m mythic raids seem smooth as butter.

For me, the only place things are butter smooth is in EN on fights like Xavius. Mythic Elesande, Spellblade, Tich etc etc. are pretty laggy for me.
    They'll have a lot of settings turned down that don't make a noticeable impact graphics wise but processing wise. I have a GTX 980ti and I have no problem maintaining 50fps in mythic raids but shadows are off, AA is lower, etc, and I don't really notice it since I'm so busy focusing on the boss fight anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonixe View Post
    They'll have a lot of settings turned down that don't make a noticeable impact graphics wise but processing wise. I have a GTX 980ti and I have no problem maintaining 50fps in mythic raids but shadows are off, AA is lower, etc, and I don't really notice it since I'm so busy focusing on the boss fight anyway
    That's where I land for the most part -- 50FPS. However, I set it so when I enter raids everything the above poster mentioned is off besides the toggles he recommended. I am going to jump in an LFR and see if it helps.

However, it definitely could be my x99 chip. I have a 6 core that runs at 3.5Ghz stock. I didn't get the best so it was a struggle to get it around 4.0 OC'd. I am going to see if I can push it a bit more which should help as well.

EDIT: Actually, I'm already OC'd to 4.4. Hmm.
    Last edited by Crookids; 2017-04-14 at 07:38 PM.

Video encodings are not subjected to FPS fluctuation. Human eye is not sensitive to constant FPS as much as it is to fluctuating FPS. That may be the reason why you think it's "smooth as butter".

Streams cannot accurately portray stuttering, likely due to what kuntantee stated above.

7+ Year Old Account
    There will be no difference between a 1080 and a 1080ti in WOW, even at 4k. A 1060 is enough to max everything out at 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    There will be no difference between a 1080 and a 1080ti in WOW, even at 4k. A 1060 is enough to max everything out at 1080p.
    Lol, this guy.

*cough* if you so happen to replace your 1080 with the TI I wouldn't mind grabbing that 1080 off you *cough*
    Born too late to explore the earth
    Born too soon to explore the galaxy
    Born just in time to browse dank memes

Lol, this guy.
    lol, that guy... .

is correct.

A GTX 1060 can easily max every GPU-dependent setting in WoW at 1080p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow's a very CPU-bound game sadly. You won't find any notable difference between a 1080 & a 1080 Ti.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Lol, this guy.
    A gtx 760 is enough to max out WoW lol.

This is what WoW looks like on a 8c/16t ryzen processor

What WoW wants is one really fast core and it doesn't really care about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    This.

My 970* can run WoW at 60+ FPS at 4k ultra 10. Yes, of course, there are massive drops in frame rates in the typical situations. But nothing that becomes unplayable. My 4790k at 4.6 is more important to WoW than the GPU.

While overly simplified I always tell people that in WoW CPU = FPS and GPU = Prettiness.

*And that's at the stock profile. I removed my GPU's OC when I decided to starve it for air to make my system look pretty, lol.
    60+ FPS at 4k ultra 10 with 970, right.
    Wanna switch cards with my 1080? Because I don't seem to always get 60 on 2k with ultra 7