Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New to Frost DK -- Reliance on BiS Legendaries?

Same as title. Interested in maybe looking towards another spec for ToS and was just wondering if there is a large performance difference between a good Frost DK with BiS legendaries and a good Frost DK without BiS legendaries. So far I've gotten the Howling Blast legendary helm and Acherus Drapes on my DK. I've been using Nethershards pushing for Koltira's as that seems like the best one for BoS.

Generally speaking you will see a difference with the BiS, but that doesn't mean a non-BiS is garbage. Also, BiS in AOE vs ST are two different sets at this point.

The key to BoS is lining up CDs to get the most out of each breath and when to best use the breaths.

Given where t20 is going the frost leggo ring will likely have the highest value, but nothing is 100% at this point.

Also if you're looking into T20 specifically you'll likely want to get your hands on a CoF at as high an ilvl as you can. It's unclear how powerful that trinket will be with t20 atm.

Helm, Ring, Bracers, and Belt are all extremely viable options. There's top 10 parses across all fights that have just about every combination of them.

Deleted
    Frost DK reliance on legendaries isnt fire mage level, but still u notice quite a difference when u acquire them. You seem to have made a good start however as the head is still nothing to scoff at. I for example got as my first legendary the seal of necrofantasia ring when it was absolutely crap to have (before breath was the way to go). Later i got prydaz and then acherus drapes, before finally hitting toravons bracers.
    Last edited by mmoc21b9eae572; 2017-04-26 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VakeStorm View Post
    Generally speaking you will see a difference with the BiS, but that doesn't mean a non-BiS is garbage. Also, BiS in AOE vs ST are two different sets at this point.

The key to BoS is lining up CDs to get the most out of each breath and when to best use the breaths.

Given where t20 is going the frost leggo ring will likely have the highest value, but nothing is 100% at this point.

Also if you're looking into T20 specifically you'll likely want to get your hands on a CoF at as high an ilvl as you can. It's unclear how powerful that trinket will be with t20 atm.
    The frost legendary ring is already at the top, T20 bonuses only solidify it. It will be just as powerful as the helm was pre-nerf. Which is why i dont get why the helm was nerfed so much...it was only the top leggo because it benefited from T19 2pc. Once we get out of T19 the helm will be garbage again. As far as cof with T20, it will further cement lining HRW with BoS, so I don't see it not being our best in slot still unless things drastically change with frost gameplay and we go out of BoS or they nerf cof...neither of which would surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    The frost legendary ring is already at the top, T20 bonuses only solidify it. It will be just as powerful as the helm was pre-nerf. Which is why i dont get why the helm was nerfed so much...it was only the top leggo because it benefited from T19 2pc. Once we get out of T19 the helm will be garbage again. As far as cof with T20, it will further cement lining HRW with BoS, so I don't see it not being our best in slot still unless things drastically change with frost gameplay and we go out of BoS or they nerf cof...neither of which would surprise me.
    Are you sure DKs are even going to be dropping T19 2 pc? It seems too good. But I agree, ring looks like the BiS leg for frost DK imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kluian05 View Post
    Are you sure DKs are even going to be dropping T19 2 pc? It seems too good. But I agree, ring looks like the BiS leg for frost DK imo.
    strength is just to important of a stat to keep old tier pieces. Also 2 piece is really only good when it gives rp for BoS. With out the rp it gives you would have to skip out of rime procs to keep breath going and at that point your not getting anything out of the 2 piece. Another thing. Keeping 2 piece means that your will have all 6 pieces of possible tier equip. This would mean that you couldn't use helm which is really the only legendary that benifits from the 2 piece in any meaningful way anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisongaz View Post
    strength is just to important of a stat to keep old tier pieces. Also 2 piece is really only good when it gives rp for BoS. With out the rp it gives you would have to skip out of rime procs to keep breath going and at that point your not getting anything out of the 2 piece. Another thing. Keeping 2 piece means that your will have all 6 pieces of possible tier equip. This would mean that you couldn't use helm which is really the only legendary that benifits from the 2 piece in any meaningful way anyway.
    HB is a large portion of DK's damage. It's the reason why HB relics are broken OP (my DK's wep is stuck at 895 because his 865/870 relics are just flat out better or equivalent to 890 variants). It goes both ways of course, the HB relics are stronger because of T19.

I have a hard time seeing people giving up more HB procs in Tomb unless the fights are primarily single target and no cleave. You can aim for decent titanforged T19 to retain the 2 pc and won't be sacrificing much STR. When Tomb is released the titanforge cap will be raised, so some may find it advantageous to continue to run Nighthold for hopes of a high roll. You can also use Cloak/Gloves as your 2 pc for even less STR disparity on Ilvl gap.
    Last edited by Kluian05; 2017-04-26 at 06:14 PM.

The issue really isn't strength, it's not getting RP for the hb cast. It's basically a "wasted" global unless breath of sindragosa is needed or the other two options buffed substantially and we go back to a machine gun type gameplay. Right now tier19 synergies with both the helm and breath of sindragosa. But to waste a global and not generate RP is bad for bos.

unless you get some really lucky TF t19 to keep the 4pc, going into t20 will likely be an upgrade all the way. in the general sense, ilvl has a greater impact on FDK performance than other classes including UDK. I'll have to dig up the ability formulas, but we scale really well with STR.

if you have the time to fish for high ilvl t19 to maintain the 4pc, then go for it. The beauty of t20, especially when coupled with the ring, is to keep the damage buff up more often. it basically becomes a second PoF. This why outside of CoF i don't see fishing for gear in NH to be a good use of my time.

I am curious what will perform better, a prolonged BoS play style using t19 4pc and t20 2pc or pure t20 gear set. I guess we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by VakeStorm View Post
    unless you get some really lucky TF t19 to keep the 4pc, going into t20 will likely be an upgrade all the way. in the general sense, ilvl has a greater impact on FDK performance than other classes including UDK. I'll have to dig up the ability formulas, but we scale really well with STR.

if you have the time to fish for high ilvl t19 to maintain the 4pc, then go for it. The beauty of t20, especially when coupled with the ring, is to keep the damage buff up more often. it basically becomes a second PoF. This why outside of CoF i don't see fishing for gear in NH to be a good use of my time.

I am curious what will perform better, a prolonged BoS play style using t19 4pc and t20 2pc or pure t20 gear set. I guess we'll see!
    WTB legendary that lowers the amount of set-pieces needed to complete a set! having two 4-sets at the same time for the lolz!

Quote Originally Posted by exeetor View Post
    WTB legendary that lowers the amount of set-pieces needed to complete a set! having two 4-sets at the same time for the lolz!
    It's only a matter of time before that gets brought over from D3 as well.

Deleted
    Ugh seems like they will be adding new legendaries with patch 7.2.5. I honestly dont want smth brokenly op, the grind must come to an end sometime...

7+ Year Old Account
    The issue really isn't strength, it's not getting RP for the hb cast. It's basically a "wasted" global unless breath of sindragosa is needed or the other two options buffed substantially and we go back to a machine gun type gameplay. Right now tier19 synergies with both the helm and breath of sindragosa. But to waste a global and not generate RP is bad for bos.
    nah, mashing Oblit 100% of the time with BoS up is senseless, youll end up overcapping RP and effectively wasting it. Throwing out an HB while you are at high RP (and therefore would overcap RP if you used another Oblit) is the best way to stay rune/RP efficient.

Im not saying you should be using HB every second global. But its good to fill in a global during high RP or when there are no runes up to use.

Also has the added bonus of benefiting well from Pillar, especially if you got Toravons

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofn View Post
    nah, mashing Oblit 100% of the time with BoS up is senseless, youll end up overcapping RP and effectively wasting it. Throwing out an HB while you are at high RP (and therefore would overcap RP if you used another Oblit) is the best way to stay rune/RP efficient.

Im not saying you should be using HB every second global. But its good to fill in a global during high RP or when there are no runes up to use.

Also has the added bonus of benefiting well from Pillar, especially if you got Toravons
    ^

With CDs and Pot running HB already hits like a freakin truck. With the new T20 2p this will even get better.

Keeping a titanforged T19 2p is very desirable imho. We want to get as many rime procs into PoF + T20 2p as possible.

But its possible they will Change t19 Bonus after the release of ToS. They already said in an Q&A that they will watch what happens when ppl combone T20 4p with T192p.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlars View Post
    ^

With CDs and Pot running HB already hits like a freakin truck. With the new T20 2p this will even get better.

Keeping a titanforged T19 2p is very desirable imho. We want to get as many rime procs into PoF + T20 2p as possible.

But its possible they will Change t19 Bonus after the release of ToS. They already said in an Q&A that they will watch what happens when ppl combone T20 4p with T192p.
    which will sadly mean i have to get rid of my Ebon Martyr and get another non tier slot legendary

Quote Originally Posted by Schlars View Post
    ^

Does that mean it's better to use HB whenever rimes procs during BoS even though you may lose your RW stack ? I haven't had the time to fully experiment BoS, but if I'm using more than say 4 HB during HRW, I won't be able to refresh RW without resetting it (as in restart RW at 0 stack).

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Does that mean it's better to use HB whenever rimes procs during BoS even though you may lose your RW stack ? I haven't had the time to fully experiment BoS, but if I'm using more than say 4 HB during HRW, I won't be able to refresh RW without resetting it (as in restart RW at 0 stack).
    Unless they fix it, HB should still count as a rune spent with Rime up. I would be surprised if they changed it too...I still think Rime should award RP baseline as it did in WotLK due to a talent(okay it wasn't baseline) that I can't remember the name of(chill of the grave maybe?).

Unless they fix it, HB should still count as a rune spent with Rime up. I would be surprised if they changed it too...I still think Rime should award RP baseline as it did in WotLK due to a talent(okay it wasn't baseline) that I can't remember the name of(chill of the grave maybe?).
    Indeed, it does. What I mean is, during HRW, would you rather sacrifice a few HBs in favor of Obliterate in order to keep up the RW stack ? Because right now, it's impossible for me to make a second RW cycle if I cast only HB (it's an exageration). If I get for example 10 rimes proc during RW, I simply won't be able to make a second cycle without reseting the stack. I was simply wondering what is the best DPS between using all your rimes proc for HB or keep the 10 stack up for ~1,5 cycles.

Wrists and Waist are the absolute best and tied for first. Trinket is good too though.

Helm is second.