Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Priebus: Trump Considering Amending or Abolishing 1st Amendment

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...-1st-amendment

A number of press reports have picked up this exchange this morning between ABC’s Jonathan Karl and White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus. But people have missed the real significance. Priebus doesn’t discuss changing ‘press laws’ or ‘libel laws’. He specifically says that the White House has considered and continues to consider amending or even abolishing the 1st Amendment because of critical press coverage of President Trump.

Sound hyperbolic? Look at the actual exchange (emphasis added) …

KARL: I want to ask you about two things the President has said on related issues. First of all, there was what he said about opening up the libel laws. Tweeting “the failing New York Times has disgraced the media world. Gotten me wrong for two solid years. Change the libel laws?” That would require, as I understand it, a constitutional amendment. Is he really going to pursue that? Is that something he wants to pursue?

PRIEBUS: I think it’s something that we’ve looked at. How that gets executed or whether that goes anywhere is a different story. But when you have articles out there that have no basis or fact and we’re sitting here on 24/7 cable companies writing stories about constant contacts with Russia and all these other matters—

KARL: So you think the President should be able to sue the New York Times for stories he doesn’t like?

PRIEBUS: Here’s what I think. I think that newspapers and news agencies need to be more responsible with how they report the news. I am so tired.

KARL: I don’t think anybody would disagree with that. It’s about whether or not the President should have a right to sue them.

PRIEBUS: And I already answered the question. I said this is something that is being looked at. But it’s something that as far as how it gets executed, where we go with it, that’s another issue.

Karl says, accurately, that that kind of clampdown on 1st Amendment rights would require amending the Constitution. Is that what Priebus means, Karl asks? Yes, it is, says Priebus.

Now one might respond to this saying, ‘Okay, technically that’s what he said. But he probably doesn’t actually mean it.’

To which I think the answer is, sure maybe he doesn’t mean but why would anyone assume that? He said it and repeated it. The changes President Trump wants are blocked by decades of decades of jurisprudence which is little contested, unlike other hot button points of constitutional law. If you want what Trump wants, you have to amend the constitution – and not the constitution in general but the 1st Amendment specifically. Amending the 1st Amendment to allow the head of state to sue people who say things he doesn’t like amounts to abolishing it.

None of these are tenuous connections. Each link in the chain of reasoning follows logically from the other.

This, needless to say, should set off everyone’s alarm bells. If this isn’t really what Priebus meant, he should be given the chance to categorically disavow it. The plain meaning of the words, on the record, is that abridging or abolishing the 1st Amendment is something the Trump White House is currently considering.

Big deal.
    What do you guys think? Is this desirable? Is the reporter pulling what is said out of context? How would this law benefit the US?

Snowflake in Chief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Funny how a person in Trump and his entire staff entourage that lie far more then the tell the truth bitch so much about falsehoods. It is even worse their foolish zealot supporters that follow him and buy into this bull shit. All you have to do is listen to anything he talks about more then once and compare the 2 they wont match up. If you don't want to do that fact check anything he talks about and it is going to be almost complete fantasy and exaggerations.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Please let him campaign to change the 1st Amendment so that we can see him fall flat on his face.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I would actually love to see him try.. just to see him fail once again in the most spectacular way.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    There is an approximately 0% chance of Trump doing either of those things, largely because it's not his decision to make, so I'm not even going to worry about it.
    But fair guess he will rant about the press again and again and wished he could do so.
    Any chance he tries weird stuff in a court to test how far he could go without interfering with 1st amendment ?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. The first amendment is fine the way it is. The chances of this happening is like, zero. It is ridiculous to assume he would even attempt to abolish it however.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    There is an approximately 0% chance of Trump doing either of those things, largely because it's not his decision to make, so I'm not even going to worry about it.
    I somewhat disagree, usually Trump is the blabbermouth who talks before he thinks, Priebus is the career politician that knows when to shut up. Trump has been railing about this for quite a while and probably asked some aides to look into it. The fact that Priebus is actually talking about it means that it has left the ''dumb trump ideas'' pile into the ''dumb stuff they are actually considering'' pile.
    Last edited by mmoc877bd117d6; 2017-04-30 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    I somewhat disagree, usually Trump is the blabbermouth who talks before he thinks, Pence is the career politician that knows when to shut up. Trump has been railing about this for quite a while and probably asked some aides to look into it. The fact that Pence is actually talking about it means that it has left the ''dumb trump ideas'' pile into the ''dumb stuff they are actually considering'' pile.
    It wasn't Pence...It was Preibus
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    It wasn't Pence...It was Preibus
    im retarded, fixed

10+ Year Old Account
    But her emails
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

So...literally like a dictator. He's trying to go after free speech now.

Dictator.

im retarded, fixed
    But, in regards to your statement..All Preibus said is "It's something that is being looked at"...I imagine he tells Donny-Boy the very same thing whenever he asks

"We're looking into it, Mr. President".

Preibus' entire role in the administration seems to be to just keep Donny Placated with the GOP
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    But, in regards to your statement..All Preibus said is "It's something that is being looked at"...I imagine he tells Donny-Boy the very same thing whenever he asks

Preibus' entire role in the administration seems to be to just keep Donny Placated with the GOP
    "What would it take for NASA to get me some of that moon cheese?".

Yeah, I can see a lot of conversations with Donny going that way.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Snowflake in Chief.
    This. Precisely. Petulant-10-year-old-in-Chief works too.

Abolishing or amending the 1st amendment has zero chance of happening. This is more than likely another head-fake to get us away from keeping track of the important issues - Russia and Trump's continued emolument violations.

This issue is a non-starter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone in the White House seriously considering this is a moron.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...-1st-amendment

What do you guys think? Is this desirable? Is the reporter pulling what is said out of context? How would this law benefit the US?
    perfect example of "the media" (lol a blog) taking someones words and twisting them around to fit their narrative. At no time did he say "Trump Considering Amending or Abolishing 1st Amendment", he said they looked into changing libel laws, "looked in to", Holding the press accountable for this kind of nonsense is something that should be looked into.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account
    This is reminding me of this thread from a month and a half ago.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ative-coverage

I think the media has a huge problem in that it likes to report things that it either doesnt need to report nationwide or it likes to report things without telling the full story. I dont think the media is interested in the full story nor do i believe they want to hear any other side of the story other than what they want to give.
    I think the rampant reporting of police shootings of african americans that threw this country into a fit of rage was done to try and win hillary the election. Notice how its not getting reported these days? Bet its still happening tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I think the rampant reporting of police shootings of african americans that threw this country into a fit of rage was done to try and win hillary the election. Notice how its not getting reported these days? Bet its still happening tho.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/02/us/bet...her-interview/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/terence-...ng-60-minutes/
    We had a story just this month.

Straight from the school of 'if I cover my eyes, it's not there!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?