Harvard to host first all-black graduation: ‘This is not about segregation’

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ation-this-is/

My my my, we've come full circle haven't we?

sorry folks, just because you want to say it's not segregation, doesn't mean it's not segregation.

I find it funny that the one girl is whining about how evil Harvard is as a institution, but she was more than willing to give them money to attend

Harvard University, founded in 1636, is set to host its first all-black graduation ceremony.

Black graduate students in Cambridge raised nearly $30,000 for a May 23 ceremony they say is long overdue. More than 120 students have registered for the Holmes Field event near Harvard Law School.

Some of the registered students spoke to The Root late last week before it was covered Monday by the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

“It’s an event where we can see each other and our parents and family can see us as a collective, whole group. A community,” graduate student Michael Huggins said. “This is not about segregation. It’s about fellowship and building a community.”

Mr. Huggins will receive master’s of public policy from the Harvard Kennedy School.

Courtney Woods, a student who will earn a master’s degree in education policy and management, framed the event as a form of racial reckoning.

“Harvard’s institutional foundation is in direct conflict with the needs of black students,” Ms. Woods said. “There is a legacy of slavery, epistemic racism and colonization at Harvard, which was an institution founded to train rising imperialist leaders. This is a history that we are reclaiming.”

Students will also participate in the main commencement ceremony.

Similar all-black graduations take place at institutions such as Columbia, Stanford and Temple, The Root noted.

15+ Year Old Account
    Almost glad mlk is dead to not have to live through this shit. He died for nothing

So...so... what about a full-white graduation then?
    Wait, that's racist.

Students will also participate in the main commencement ceremony.
    So this is a secondary ceremony that they're putting on specifically for themselves, that in no way impacts the actual graduation ceremony that all attend.

But don't let pesky facts get in the way out of your outrage!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So this is a secondary ceremony that they're putting on specifically for themselves, that in no way impacts the actual graduation ceremony that all attend.

Ok, and how outraged will people be if the students held a whites only ceremony?

I for one look forward to seeing separate schools, bars, and drinking fountains for all the colored people, I mean people of color.

It's not about segregation, it's just about separating people into different groups based solely on race.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    “Harvard’s institutional foundation is in direct conflict with the needs of black students,” Ms. Woods said. “There is a legacy of slavery, epistemic racism and colonization at Harvard, which was an institution founded to train rising imperialist leaders. This is a history that we are reclaiming.”
    I don't think this woman knows what she is saying.

So?
    If white folks were to put on an all white secondary graduation don't you think they would be labeled racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Ok, and how outraged will people be if the students held a whites only ceremony?
    Pretty outraged, and they'd likely be kinda dumb too.

Though there's very different context surrounding that given the respective racial histories of white and blacks in the US.

Again, context being this pesky fucking thing that throws wrenches into people carefully laid plans to get morally outraged by something all the time.

Pretty outraged, and they'd likely be kinda dumb too.

Though there's very different context surrounding that given the respective racial histories of white and blacks in the US.

Again, context being this pesky fucking thing that throws wrenches into people carefully laid plans to get morally outraged by something all the time.
    Why does history matter for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, you know we don't allow race threads here. Locked.