Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Greatest Heroes and villains...........where are my mages?

So in short I've been asked to level up a mage and gear it up for tomb and whilst leveling I was listening to a certain youtuber who made 2 compilations of epic lines in wow
    and I couldn't help but get extremely nostalgic and emotional to the point where the last line of part 1 was what muradin says about arthas when you talk to him for muradins favor (even shed a few tears didn't expect it to get it I really didn't)
    but I digress, but what I noticed extremely quickly is the most amazing heroes and villains are all warriors of some degree (Warriors dk's paladins rogues to a lesser amount)
    so does anyone have any MAGES that where truly impactful I can think of keal'thas and that's it I don't mean warlocks I mean proper mages I can't think of ANY that inspired me or motivated me or struck fear into my heart like some of the characters in wow lore

I main a dk and I have for the most part (minus most of mop) been that same character and it hasn't been holding my interest this xpac like I hoped.
    last time it did was mop, but listening to this and hearing arthas talk it instilled true fear and true determination to utterly break anything and everything in my path like a true death knight
    I NEED that kinda of hype if I'm gonna go the distance for my guild so show me what you got guys
    Last edited by Insonia; 2017-05-27 at 09:31 PM.
    Apothecary Wormcrud says: Touch my chicken and I will kill you in your sleep. Am I understood?

Deleted
    The hell are you talking about.
    Khadgar, Medivh, Jaina, Kael'thas (who is not a warlock, wtf), Azshara?

thinking about it I will accept warlocks and priest but not gul'dan and try to keep them "not corrupted" (as in a legion puppet)

- - - Updated - - -

nice chart I love it
    Apothecary Wormcrud says: Touch my chicken and I will kill you in your sleep. Am I understood?

Plenty of mage heroes: Kadghar, Ronin, Jaina, the Kirin Tor council, Kaelthas, Aethas, the Dragon aspects (are also talented in elemental magic), Prince Farondis in Legion, etc, etc. And it depends on what exactly you mean by impactful.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by Vankelmir View Post
    The hell are you talking about.
    Khadgar, Medivh, Jaina, Kael'thas (who is not a warlock, wtf), Azshara?
    I did mention kael'thas although I spelt it wrong Khadgar is just annoying as is jaina they don't inspire they just annoy the majority of people there is a reason a lot of people would love it if jaina turned out to be a dreadlord cause that would be great!
    and yeah azshara.............she is op but we don't have her making us want to hide in the corner YET but once she comes around I bet she will lose it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Plenty of mage heroes: Kadghar, Ronin, Jaina, the Kirin Tor council, Kaelthas, Aethas, the Dragon aspects (are also talented in elemental magic), Prince Farondis in Legion, etc, etc. And it depends on what exactly you mean by impactful.
    again khadgar and jaina are just annoying (I mean what was the rubbish with the shards I get they where going for humour but it was just annoying)

- - - Updated - - -

I mean impactful the same way arthas was a beacon of hope but then became this god of the undead who puts fear into you and make you either want to avoid taking him on cause you are so sure he will wreck you so hard you will never be able to release from your corpse or want to be them so much I don't deny when I was younger I rolled a dk cause I wanted to be level of amazing
    wherer as...........jaina back in warcraft she was way more inspiring and actually pretty badass actually thinking about it but now...........meh
    I would of been terrified of her had she gone ahead and destroyed org

Adding Xavius, Rommath, and Illidan, to the long list of memorable character who are/were mages. Pretty sure warrior is the only other class that comes close to mages when it to impactful characters.

If you want characters as big as Arthas then well, there simply aren't many. Imo only Garrosh and Thrall.
    Last edited by Ulfric Trumpcloak; 2017-05-27 at 03:43 AM.

Dont forget Antonidas!

The whole game is full of fucking badass mages!

Grand Magister Rommath have some cool conversations. I dont remember if they are recorded with voice acting though. Also he's a belf patriot, so i you might have to have a little blood elf bias to enjoy it.

Is it the top 100 Lines from Krucial/Hellscream you've been listening to? Because i have been listening to those alot

10+ Year Old Account
    Khadgar, Medivh, Jaina, Kael'thas, Azshara, Rhonin, Kalec (Yes, he's classified as a mage now too, Dragon, Blue Flight), Aethas, Antonidas, Modera, Vargoth, Arugal, Nielas Aran, Millhouse Manastorm, Krasus aka. Korialstrasz (Another dragon, even, Red Flight), Kel'Thuzad, Archmage Xylem and Jandice Barov....

There, the is the ones that has either support the Horde or Alliance, or caused troubles for them... The ones I can remember, that is..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Rhonin
    If by greatest you mean obnoxious and cringeworthy, sure.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Only reason you think that, is due to a stupid scripted speech everytime people hand in a dumb quest from Ulduar. And now it is a meme, able to be generated by addons and toys.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Only reason you think that, is due to a stupid scripted speech everytime people hand in a dumb quest from Ulduar. And now it is a meme, able to be generated by addons and toys.
    No. I think of that because of his every single appereance in every single book he has been in. Don't categorize me when you don't know shit.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Insonia View Post
    but I disgrace
    The word you're looking for is "digress."

As others have pointed out tho, plenty of mage hero types in game already. I will say that the best "magey" weapon is still in Khadgar's possession and the 3 mages weapons did kind of seem like a stretch from a "badass lore" perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Of all the mages he listed, I think Millhouse is more annoying and cringeworthy than Rhonin.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I think of that because of his every single appereance in every single book he has been in. Don't categorize me when you don't know shit.
    I technically wasn't catagorizing you, I was generalizing due to your comment fitting about 90% of others comments of same nature, but all created around that one speech.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Of all the mages he listed, I think Millhouse is more annoying and cringeworthy than Rhonin.
    Indeed, I would've put that there too. Heck, even find Medivh to be cringy at times.. Rhonin is only on the cringe list for me, when he speaks out in Dalaran.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    The word you're looking for is "digress."

As others have pointed out tho, plenty of mage hero types in game already. I will say that the best "magey" weapon is still in Khadgar's possession and the 3 mages weapons did kind of seem like a stretch from a "badass lore" perspective.
    Well, yeah, Atiesh is at the top, followed by things like the Focusing Iris and so on.

A mage villian would be cool but thats technically Jaina's role currently in the story. The issue is mages tend to make weak villians because its hard to imagine their motives for being one.

Personal gain and power is a very easy motive, why not just class change to warlock if thats the case?

Theres the "tragic" villian kind of approach aka: a character that acts benevolantly but ends up doing something catastrophic as a result of their intended benevolance. But this generally suits a Paladin or Light Priest alot more than a Mage unless they find some artifact that inadvertently screws everything up.

The only truely epic mage villian ive seen ever was Medivh in the Warcraft movie portrayal, with his schisofrenia against sargeras which literally made him interesting to watch as a villian.

Anyway, honestly, we need more good warlocks, evil paladins and other reverse roles rather than typical ones, yes, id love to see more villianous mages.

Deleted
    No everyone thinks that because of the books. worst mage of all times....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    A mage villian would be cool but thats technically Jaina's role currently in the story. The issue is mages tend to make weak villians because its hard to imagine their motives for being one.

Personal gain and power is a very easy motive, why not just class change to warlock if thats the case?

Theres the "tragic" villian kind of approach aka: a character that acts benevolantly but ends up doing something catastrophic as a result of their intended benevolance. But this generally suits a Paladin or Light Priest alot more than a Mage unless they find some artifact that inadvertently screws everything up.

The only truely epic mage villian ive seen ever was Medivh in the Warcraft movie portrayal, with his schisofrenia against sargeras which literally made him interesting to watch as a villian.

Anyway, honestly, we need more good warlocks, evil paladins and other reverse roles rather than typical ones, yes, id love to see more villianous mages.
    Evil paladins are more rare than good warlocks. The closest you have is the scarlet crusade, which doesn't count as evil in general - except for their previous leader. They're closest you have to an evil paladin, is a vindictive one. One that believes the cause is right at any price - aka. The Scarlets. Though, we have no idea where they are at the moment, they did a clean up in the monestary to hide their trace of having been controlled by a demon, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    No everyone thinks that because of the books. worst mage of all times....
    Sadly, that is the majority of people I hear, trade etc, all just mentioning that dumb speech only.. I've followed the books, wouldn't call him worst through them but not the best either.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2017-05-27 at 10:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    What are you smoking? You've got...

Heroes:
    Kael'thas (Pre TBC)
    Medivh (Warcraft 3+)
    Khadgar
    Rohnin (Though to be fair he does kinda suck)
    Antonidas
    Rommath
    Aegwynn
    Kalec

Villains:
    Jaina
    Azshara
    Malygos
    Millhouse (Tentatively Villainous)

The only real problem is how many of them are humans.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-05-27 at 10:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is Jaina being put as a villain lately? She hasn't done anything overly villainous, unless you're Horde maybe. Else, not much.. Would more call her, chaotic neutral?