Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you follow the Golden Rule as a way of Life?

The rule is simple "treating others as one would wish to be treated". It's a way of life.
    -One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive or directive form).
    -One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (negative or prohibitive form).
    -What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself (empathic or responsive form).

Do you follow this rule?
    If you "do" or "don"t" explain why.

Yes, or at least I try to.

I try to follow it because I truly believe it is the golden rule. I believe it is the key to making this world a better place. I believe it is the single most important moral guide. It's the one thing that everyone should try to do.

Also, inb4 "But what if you're suicidal".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep.

Its always best to treat others the way you would like to be treated in all situations.

Oh shit its superb way for all kind of masochists.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Yes.

Because it is how a civilized society behaves. As a species, we dominate the planet explicitly because we cooperate with each other, and that cooperation depends on the golden rule.

Deleted
    Well, uhh... No. I treat my friends better than I expect them to treat me. What kind of a selfish person came up with this dumbass rule anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, the rule is flawed.

For example, if I see a hot woman I would really hope she would just jump in my pants immediately. Should I do the same to her?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

No, I don't.

Because people should be treated by what they have achieved, social status and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I strive to abide by it because its part of the moral code i live by. My reason is neither altruistic nor do i expect anything in return. I do it for the satisfaction of complying with my self imposed rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

No. Simple moral rules like this are for children. In reality the way to get people to do things for you is to be persuasive, appeal to their self-interest, and most importantly understand how they function/think. That's how you get treated how you want to be treated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No, I don't.

Because people should be treated by what they have achieved, social status and so on.
    WTF is this nonsense?

So you would kick a homeless man in the street because his social status is low?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/L7YMN8A.gif
    Pretty much all these versions seem extremely indifferent to me; "Oh well, I wouldn't care if that happened to me, so I bet they won't care if it happens to them, either."

Uncaring and indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No, I don't.

So you chose to treat homeless people like trash?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The Golden Rule is fucking awful. A better (though still imperfect) formulation would be "Treat others with the same consideration you would have them show you."
    That's... That is the same thing... You do realize that is the same thing as the golden rule, right? You just re-worded the golden rule.

At times. By default I treat new people with kindness, however, if some people have already shown that is not how they treat others, then they get very different reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, uhh... No. I treat my friends better than I expect them to treat me. What kind of a selfish person came up with this dumbass rule anyway.
    I believe it was Jesus... Soooo yeah...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Yes, I do. It is also interesting to me that most religions follow it... as do most cultures. There is a hypothesis out there that it is an evolutionary trait.
    Not from what i can see, the world is turning evil. There is a flaw in the evolution.
    Humans are turning bad because they don't feel the pain of others.

It's time to show people the Golden Rule to set an example to everyone and change the world little by little.

Deleted
    Here's a rule that's much better than the so-called "Golden Rule":

Treat others better than you would expect them to treat you.

I just improved upon thousands of years of "wisdom". Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I believe it was Jesus... Soooo yeah...
    Yeah, well that explains why the rule is so cold and indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    No, the rule is flawed.

For example, if I see a hot woman I would really hope she would just jump in my pants immediately. Should I do the same to her?
    Empathy. You should know that she would not feel positive about this. I would hope that you don't want to be raped.

Also, are you a pervert or why would you enjoy (even if she's hot) a woman randomly fucking you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Not from what i can see, the world is turning evil. There is a flaw in the evolution.
    Humans are turning bad because they don't feel the pain of others.

It's time to show people the Golden Rule to set an example to everyone and change the world little by little.
    This is like, a 180° turn from your energy thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    No, the rule is flawed.

It's obviously not to be taken in such a literal manner. The idea is to have some measure of empathy for everyone.