Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

US Sending Third Carrier Strike Group towards Korea

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...p-near-n-korea

The U.S. Navy, in an unprecedented move, is sending a third carrier strike force to the Western Pacific.
    The Nimitz group, Carrier Strike Group 11, will leave Naval Base Kitsap-Bremerton on Thursday to join the strike groups centered around the Carl Vinson and Ronald Reagan.

The presence of three aircraft carriers in the region suggests President Donald Trump is going to force the North Korea issue soon.

Sources have told both Voice of America and the Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun that the deployment of the Nimitz is meant to serve as a warning to North Korea. “The Trump administration deployed the strike force to put pressure on Pyongyang to refrain from more nuclear and missile tests amid mounting concern that it will soon acquire the capability to launch intercontinental ballistic missiles,” Asahi reported.

There is plenty to warn the North Koreans about. They are apparently ready to conduct their sixth test of a nuclear device. The device, in all probability, has already been buried in a tunnel at the Punggye-ri test site in the northeastern part of the country. Satellite imagery indicates that all initial preparations have been completed.

Moreover, the North in recent days has been launching ballistic missiles at the rate of about one a week in what is obviously an accelerated program.
    Recent efforts have generally been successful. On May 14, for instance, the Hwasong-12 was fired at a high trajectory to test the reentry into the atmosphere of a warhead. Initial reports say the heat shielding worked, which means Pyongyang has passed a crucial technical threshold. As a result, Kim Jong Un, the North Korean supremo, should be able to hit the lower 48 states with a nuclear warhead in just a few years.
    Most analysts say the Hwasong-12 is just an intermediate-range missile, but some think it is in fact an intercontinental one. Its range is of some interest because, in response to Kim’s Jan. 1 boast, Trump said the North was never going to launch a long-range missile. “It won’t happen!” Trump, then president-elect, tweeted.

And this is where the Nimitz comes in. The carrier was scheduled to deploy to the Middle East, but now it has been rerouted to the Western Pacific because of the tensions on the Korean peninsula.

The Carl Vinson is already in the Sea of Japan, where it will participate in drills with the Reagan. It is not clear whether Nimitz will join the other two carriers, but the message of its redeployment is clear.

“I served in the U.S. Navy from 1986 to 2015, and I do not remember a time that the U.S. has ever deployed three aircraft carrier strike groups to the Korean peninsula,” James Fanell, former director of Intelligence and Information Operations for the U.S. Pacific Fleet, told me Saturday. “If I were Kim Jong Un, I’d move deep underground.”
    It's fairly unprecedented to send three entire US carrier strike groups but North Korea is out of control. I feel things are really heating up there and it seems likely that the US could enter a shooting war with North Korea.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...p-near-n-korea

It's fairly unprecedented to send three entire US carrier strike groups but North Korea is out of control. I feel things are really heating up there and it seems likely that the US could enter a shooting war with North Korea.
    i dont want to sound silly, but north korea is a small fucked up country... the best thing would be to make a deal with china, and then nuke the NK artillery (to negate a Seoul counterattack)
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    i dont want to sound silly, but north korea is a small fucked up country... the best thing would be to make a deal with china, and then nuke the NK artillery (to negate a Seoul counterattack)
    .....the artillery is right next to Seoul. Nuking the artillery is the same as nuking Seoul.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    I doubt the N Koreans care. They know the US is Sabre Rattling just like they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look out Australia!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    .....the artillery is right next to Seoul. Nuking the artillery is the same as nuking Seoul.
    with small nukes? i mean, seoul is like 50kms to the south of the border, and 60-70kms to the artillery units. nuking them with small, tactical warheads would be the best option, or perhaps using neutron bombs

15+ Year Old Account
    with small nukes? i mean, seoul is like 50kms to the south of the border, and 60-70kms to the artillery units. nuking them with small, tactical warheads would be the best option, or perhaps using neutron bombs
    Dropping ~100 tactical nukes 50km of Seoul......?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US would have to launch the strikes from Guam or move B61s into South Korea, the USN no longer has the capability to launch tactical nuclear strikes from carries.

Oh no, Kushner and Trump's personal lawyer, Cohen, are being looked at by the FBI! Better go bomb a country again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Oh no, Kushner and Trump's personal lawyer, Cohen, are being looked at by the FBI! Better go bomb a country again!
    Every 100 days bomb a country.

First Syria

Next? North Korea.

October? Iran.

Late Feb '18? Let's take a trip to the Southern Hemisphere and bomb Venezuela.

But that's just the warm up August 2018... impeachment should be getting hot then, so let's have some ship to ship battles in the South China Sea.

100 days after that, if it looks like Trump is about to go, let's just go for the whole enchilada and get in a big nuclear war with Russia.

What better way to end a failed Presidency than to break the biggest promise of all (since all others have been broken)?

7+ Year Old Account
    Nuclear weapons, ANY kind of nuclear weapons, no matter how small they are, spread radioactive fallout thousands of miles away from where they hit. Why do people not realize this? Why in the hell would you need nukes to destroy artillery anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fat Boy loves the attention, it doesnt scare him at. Attacking. NK right now would be kicking a porcupine thats in your neighbors year with no shoes on. The porcupine is fucked but so is your foot, better hope is doesnt get infected.

What Donnie is strategically impotent and diminishes the perceived threat of parking carrier groups off coasts. Constant threats with no actions means people start rolling their eyes at carriers the same way they do Fat Boys threats.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

north korea is not going to be nuked unless they bomb someone first.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Nuclear weapons, ANY kind of nuclear weapons, no matter how small they are, spread radioactive fallout thousands of miles away from where they hit. Why do people not realize this? Why in the hell would you need nukes to destroy artillery anyway?
    yes and no, it depends on the bomb mostly and how delivers the payload, afaik. fission bombs that do a landburst (like a bunker buster) dont spread the radiation so easily. i'd nuke the artillery positions because they're entrenched in the mountainside, so a regular bombing run would do shit to them. If you want to nullify the possibility of the destruction of Seoul while dealing with NK, after you make an agreement with china, you must destroy the artillery pointing at them in one swoop.
    But i'm no military expert, this is only an educated guess

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    north korea is not going to be nuked unless they bomb someone first.
    yeah, i suppose. In this case i dont recommend the usage of a nuke on a population center, but on the mountainside, where the artillery pieces are. other possible usage is to carpet bomb that zone, or use a effton of smart bombs

To be fair, the first group Trump ordered to Korea was actually about as close to Korea as the US and headed in the wrong direction. Its really hard to appreciate any statements when they're coming from people legally required to be in lockstep with such a blatant liar.

Deleted
    yeah, i suppose. In this case i dont recommend the usage of a nuke on a population center, but on the mountainside, where the artillery pieces are. other possible usage is to carpet bomb that zone, or use a effton of smart bombs
    Radiation doesn't care about mountains. Like the other poster said, Seoul is just next to supposed target.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What do you think the people of Seoul would prefer, nuclear detonations away from the city, or thousands of artillery pieces bombarding their city?
    Neither, because both are bloody stupid.

Meanwhile successful GMD test out of Vandenberg :toot:

But yeah, moving three CVBGs to the same theatre is definitely a statement.

this is only an uneducated idiot on the internet
    What you are so casually suggesting should be unthinkable to anybody that isn't a raving fucking nutjob.

You don't just preemptively nuke someone because they are engaged in saber rattling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What do you think the people of Seoul would prefer, nuclear detonations away from the city, or thousands of artillery pieces bombarding their city?
    Or... you know... just to not escalate shit needlessly?

That Kim dude is an asshole, but he's not crazy - he is not going to be starting any wars anytime soon, unless he is put in some extraordinary circumstances, like, for example enough military buildup in the region to to have a valid reason to assume he is actually going to get his ass invaded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    What you are so casually suggesting should be unthinkable to anybody that isn't a raving fucking nutjob.

You don't just preemptively nuke someone because they are engaged in saber rattling.
    Yes, I am like reading that guy and rolling over the floor there. "Just toss a nuke - problem solved! I gots educated guess it's ok to lob a nuke less than 100km away from a capital of a friendly nation, they wouldn't mind fo sho".

For the record, to even do anything there that can trigger war US needs actual permission from SK, this is the deal and it ain't happening, because South Korea does not fancy rolling the bones and seeing whether they get a good roll and neither they are thrilled about prospect of murdering their own people in war on either side - you have Koreans both sides, they are actually one people on the different sides of the fence because of political and ideological bullshit, it's not some humans vs aliens crap there.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2017-05-30 at 10:11 PM.