Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

another state bans "rolling coal"

KUSA - “Rolling coal” is now banned through a new law aimed to crack down on drivers who pump out plumes of black smoke.

In Fort Collins, it’s a regular problem.

“Some truck will rev up its engine and drive past me and blow smoke in my face,” said Genevieve Marmaduke, who regularly bikes around town.

She’s been on the receiving end of someone rolling coal, and so have people eating on patios downtown. On occasion, police officers are targeted at night.

Fort Collins Police helped craft the new law that will fine drivers $100 if they are caught.

Tom Franklin, a diesel truck expert, told 9NEWS when a truck does blow out that much smoke, it’s a waste of fuel. He also said more people than not modify their trucks for a legitimate reason.

“For some, it gives them better fuel mileage and most do it for power,” he said.

It comes in handy for ranchers and farmers pulling tractors and heavy equipment. For that reason, Sen. Randy Baumgardner never supported the bill.

“I'm concerned those individuals might be possibly get a ticket for causing without trying to cause the rolling coal effect,” Baumgardner said.

It took two tries and overcoming opposition, but the bill is now officially law.

Other law enforcement agencies said they were waiting for the governor to sign the bill and learn more to figure out how to implement it.
    For those unaware, rolling coal is the practice of modifying a diesel engine to increase the amount of fuel entering the engine in order to emit an under-aspirated sooty exhaust that visibly pollutes the air.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why bother? The trucks will soon drive themselves and computers don't try to make smoke cause you called it a vacuum tube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rollers are fucking douchebags so no tears here.

I find it amazing that something like that was legal in the first place. That's pretty much trolling equaling to going to other peoples houses, and spray painting gang symbols on the walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    For those unaware, rolling coal is the practice of modifying a diesel engine to increase the amount of fuel entering the engine in order to emit an under-aspirated sooty exhaust that visibly pollutes the air.
    Does it serve any practical purpose? Or is it just to be a dick?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Not sure why it was legal to begin with. Don't vehicles have emission standards they have to meet?

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Does it serve any practical purpose? Or is it just to be a dick?
    No practical reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Not sure why it was legal to begin with. Don't vehicles have emission standards they have to meet?
    Depends where you live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Ive seen people roll coal on BLM protesters, which of course is hilarious.

Outside of that, its stupid

I'm not seeing an issue with this law.

Fuck the $100 fine, make 'em sit in a closed room while their truck is "Coal roiling" for an hour or so, have their truck crushed, and force them to drive a Neo Geo Metro for the rest of their lives.
    /Edge
    Last edited by Chinese Bootlickers; 2017-06-09 at 08:55 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the international pressure...?

"Fort Collins Police helped craft the new law"

Good. Rolling coal is stupid and does visible harm to people around you.

Also, I don't think this is international pressure. It's just common sense. Why would you burn extra fuel just to cause pollution? That's the definition of silly.
    Last edited by Ishayu; 2017-06-09 at 07:37 PM.

I have no problem with the ban but AFAIK this visible pollution is actually of least concern environmentally and in terms of health. I am 99% sure running your diesel rich as fuck like that will actually lower your NOx emissions lol.

There is absolutely no reason to "roll coal" though.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has nothing to do with international pressure, just the people of Colorado tired of the small number of total dickheads being dickheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    No practical reason.
    Wonder why it was legal in the first place. Might as well allow spitting on someone's face.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Wonder why it was legal in the first place. Might as well allow spitting on someone's face.
    Because it's america. Being an asshole is legal until it's made illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Fuck the $100 fine, make 'em sit in a closed room while their truck is "Coal roiling" for an hour or so, have their truck crushed, and force them to drive a Neo Geo for the rest of their lives.
    /Edge
    Doesn't sound like "the rest of their lives" is going to be very long in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

How much did rolling coal add to global warming? My guess is not much, why does the title of this tread say "USA caves in to international pressure"?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the actual article. Nothing about international at all.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/poli...nned/446421501
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Ive seen people roll coal on BLM protesters, which of course is hilarious.

Outside of that, its stupid
    yeah, whatever the reason, rolling coal is blatantly stupid, and inneficent
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker