Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I mean the core of his argument is even "I am living beyond my means, so give me more money"

What the fuck.
    Jason Chaffetz has a net worth of $569,006 according to this source, and he can't afford a second residence in DC? And considering that the average net worth of congressmen is in the millions, this is a farce.

Yeah, the problem isn't that Chaffetz can't afford a second place to live, it's that he doesn't want to part with his money or live near us filthy plebes. Apparently his primary residence is valued in the millions. Boo fucking hoo.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2017-06-28 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Cubby, most times I tend to agree with your points.

In this case, I honestly don't think you get the full picture.

I'm surprised after 6 pages of skimming, noone happened to have mentioned that a state rep also gets $900,000 budget for a staff and $250,000 budget for travel and office expenses. That should take care of your living arrangements right there. Small apartment, whatever.

If you were a state Senator, you get something like $3.3 million instead of that $1.2 million of a Rep.

That's not to mention that they fly for free...(Mostly anyways), but they also get to book multiple flights because of how their schedule changes.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for them at all. Yeah, I'm sure it's a lot of work. With experience, I'm also certain that so much travel can be draining yes. However, their actual schedule in Congress alots them over 240 days off. Granted, they're spending most of their time fundraising after their work days, but honestly, I still don't feel for them.

I get by on around $50,000 a year. Maybe if I had a wife and kids, I might find $100,000 a year more palatable. I can certainly be fine with $175,000 a year.

edit:
    Oh yeah, in case it wasn't clear, the Rep's $1.2 Mil and a Senator's $3.3 Mil is annually.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with this. So long as not one elected official as of 2017 qualifies for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I agree with this. So long as not one elected official as of 2017 qualifies for it.
    I do agree with the sentiment that congressmen who vote to raise their own compensation shouldn't qualify for said compensation. But I don't see why they need financial assistence for housing when about 90% of Congress is comprised of millionaires and their salaries are $174,000 a year. They're not exactly strapped for cash.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    I do agree with the sentiment that congressmen who vote to raise their own compensation shouldn't qualify for said compensation. But I don't see why they need financial assistence for housing when about 90% of Congress is comprised of millionaires and their salaries are $174,000 a year. They're not exactly strapped for cash.
    That's kinda the problem though, that in order to be a member of Congress you need to have a lot of money not just to run and win but to stay there.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol, he's going to be eating that comment for awhile. As he should.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not here to answer silly questions like that - why don't you put your brain behind the real issue and we can discuss that. These silly points you insist on making are really beneath you.
    They are almost all out of touch morons. I remember when Bush was VP he went to some photo op at a grocery store. While there he saw them scan things by the bar code and was blown away that we could do that. Which tells you he hadn't been in a store or bought anything for himself in almost 2 decades.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    That's kinda the problem though, that in order to be a member of Congress you need to have a lot of money not just to run and win but to stay there.
    They don't start rich. They get lots of money in bribes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see the problem here, all Jason Chaffetz is asking for is more money for him and his fellow congress members. These people are people too and should have a DECENT wage and living standard.

Jesus, if those are the problems congressman have to deal with sign me up, because it's a hell of a lot easier than have a job that owes you money.

Seriously, fuck those who can't make damn near $200k work. Fuck them right in the ear with a rusty spoon.

As for an idea to the solution, why isn't there like an apartment building/hotel near the building strictly for congressman? That way they don't have to live near us poor folk and we get interesting stories of them doing pranks on one another in a hotel.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by zmp View Post
    I dont see the problem here, all Jason Chaffetz is asking for is more money for him and his fellow congress members. These people are people too and should have a DECENT wage and living standard.
    They could set up a gofundme campaign. Would be a new way to befriend their lobbyists.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you're going to kill me for this, but $174k doesn't go as far as it used to, if you're living the middle class lifestyle. Plus maintaining two homes. .
    ACtually, anything over ~70k has been proven not to for the most part.

That said, you know how far 174K goes these days? A hell of a lot farther than less than 50K, I'll tell you that. And that's what 70% of americans are living on, under 50k.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Their salary is more than enough to own multiple properties.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

7+ Year Old Account
    It's not their salary that allows them to own those properties and the discussion isn't about the CURRENT members of Congress, it's rather about how the system blocks out many people who'd be capable of the job but lack money.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's not, though - and they aren't even talking about owning - just a housing stipend to rent.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not their salary that allows them to own those properties and the discussion isn't about the CURRENT members of Congress, it's rather about how the system blocks out many people who'd be capable of the job but lack money.
    Exactly - wait, wtf - are we agreeing on something.

Uh huh. Because republicans are concerned about poor people now.

It's not, though - and they aren't even talking about owning - just a housing stipend to rent.
    It is, though.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    It is, though.
    No, it's not. Not for their lifestyles. If you disagree, show me some numbers of Congressman that own multiple properties and live off only their salaries.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should be REQUIRED to live in government housing blocks like many of the people they claim to represent.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

No, it's not. Not for their lifestyles. If you disagree, show me some numbers of Congressman that own multiple properties and live off only their salaries.
    They're provided with offices, they can sleep there. Fuck those guys.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I think they should be REQUIRED to live in government housing blocks like many of the people they claim to represent.
    Dorm style housing for Congresspeeps in D.C. would be awesome. They might actually get something done if they were forced to actually socialize.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/27/politi...nor/index.html

This is quite comical coming from the guy who said that if Americans have trouble affording healthcare, they should give up their iPhones. Perhaps he should look into selling his house in Utah and moving into a more affordable home if he has trouble meeting expenses.
    Iphones, and cell phone plans are expensive and a luxury. Land lines work just fine.