Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    All the big cities are blue... they're just outnumbered and outvoted by Rural Texas

And theres a lot of Rural Texas tooo

No joke, I went to a wedding in a church and right next door was a mobile home with a cow in the front yard. Felt like I was in a episode of twilight zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Again, this is a historical preference both the republican and democratic party have enjoyed over the century, but it isn't some immutable truth in our democracy, a sweeping change like the one proposed would definitely give other political parties and coalitions a voice.
    Yeah, try studying some history, we have never had more than 2 viable parties for any length of time.

California is already flooding into Texas, I expect economic diversification will come with it, along with a blue shift.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Yeah, try studying some history, we have never had more than 2 viable parties for any length of time.
    It's almost like there is some systemic structural reason for this?

I'm sure FPTP voting isn't helping, but Duverger's Law doesn't really hold up under close scrutiny in the modern world, if indeed it ever did.

- - - Updated - - -

Because more independents does not mean "less right", just less Republican, there is a difference. (I will give you a hint, some voters feel the GOP is too liberal).
    Sure, but on balance... I wouldn't bet on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm sure FPTP voting isn't helping, but Duverger's Law doesn't really hold up under close scrutiny in the modern world, if indeed it ever did.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but on balance... I wouldn't bet on it
    The numbers are not pointing to a great shift yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    This just shows that Texans didn't like Trump. It doesn't show that Texas is moving to the left.
    Been drifting bluer since at least 2000.

- - - Updated - - -

The numbers are not pointing to a great shift yet.
    The shift is already happening, what you mean is that it hasn't tipped over yet.

Any way you cut it, over 40% of Texan votes chose the Great Satans, Hillary and Obama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been drifting bluer since at least 2000.

- - - Updated - - -

The shift is already happening, what you mean is that it hasn't tipped over yet.

Any way you cut it, over 40% of Texan votes chose the Great Satans, Hillary and Obama.
    Uh, 43% voted for Dukakis in 1988. So, that means in 28 years the Democrats have gained, nothing really.

Texas isn't going to get more white and boomers will die off. So what republicans have to hope for is that gen x and younger suddenly change their minds and decide that gays are evil and that the rich need more tax cuts etc... not sure why they would do that in large numbers. There would also need to be a major shift on other issues like healthcare. Republicans are essentially taking the bad positions on almost every issue. People who are more connected with the world community know how full of shit they are because other countries have proven US republicans wrong on almost everything.

The only exception is probably abortion. I don't think there will be huge shifts either way on that unless a method is invented to prove the existence of souls and that they enter humans while in the womb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    The only exception is probably abortion. I don't think there will be huge shifts either way on that unless a method is invented to prove the existence of souls and that they enter humans while in the womb.
    That wouldn't even change it. Most of those have faith, and that's all you need. Personally I'd love to see a deity disappear in a puff of logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Uh, 43% voted for Dukakis in 1988. So, that means in 28 years the Democrats have gained, nothing really.
    It was also a safe blue seat until the 1950s as long as we're looking at ancient history.

But okay, here you go, here's the two party preferred vote since 1980:

Distinct downward trend on the red and upward on the blue.

Deleted
    Distinct downward trend on the red and upward on the blue.
    Yeah at that rate its going to be a democratic stronghold in 200 years or so.