Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Building Strength

Hey, I need to get 5 pulls up by the first week of April. What's the best ways to build strength in muscles that you use to do underhand pull ups?
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do Pull ups:P Unless you're crazy fat or terribly unhealthy, 5 shouldn't be a problem...

Cheat by getting gloves/hand wraps that give you a good grip.

If you've got dumbells, doing lateral raises will help. Bring each arm to your shoulder, wrists facing outward, and push your arms upward until they are fully extended (being sure to not hyperextend).

If you have a machine, there's lateral pull downs. Same concept, where the bar is above your head, grab it with both hands and pull down. It'll help your shoulders, lats (muscles that come from your back and wrap around your rib cage to your shoulders), and your biceps (the main muscle in pull-ups). The best way to do the pull-downs is to hold the bar with your wrists facing you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just do pull ups!
    For starters, the easiest are the negatives.
    Grab the bar, get up with a jump and then try to go down slowly.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GKLeatherCraft View Post
    Do Pull ups:P Unless you're crazy fat or terribly unhealthy, 5 shouldn't be a problem...
    I have a slight weight problem, which I've been handling quite well for the pass month. But, my issue is that I have horrible upper body strength.

15+ Year Old Account
    How many can you do now? If you can't do any, there is no chance in hell you are doing 5 by April. Or maybe you will surprise me. Who knows!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How many can you do now? If you can't do any, there is no chance in hell you are doing 5 by April. Or maybe you will surprise me. Who knows!
    1 if I do a little jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Icee View Post
    I have a slight weight problem, which I've been handling quite well for the pass month. But, my issue is that I have horrible upper body strength.
    1 if I do a little jump.
    I don't think it's easy to go from 0 to 5. Not in two weeks.

How much do you weigh now? And what's your height? Your diet may need to add more protein or may just require you to lose weight flat out. Additionally, the exercising you should do will change as well, depending on your weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I don't think it's easy to go from 0 to 5. Not in two weeks.

How much do you weigh now? And what's your height? Your diet may need to add more protein or may just require you to lose weight flat out. Additionally, the exercising you should do will change as well, depending on your weight.
    225lbs @ 6'1"

I eat a very strict calorie deficit and I do alot of cardio with weights every other day. Sunday's my rest day.

But, I'm more interested in building strength. My diet's under control and I'm losing weight constantly.
    Last edited by eScar95; 2017-03-17 at 05:07 AM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah ok, I can see why that's an issue, I would suggest doing push-ups if you can? Just get your diet under control, And try to do some daily strength exercises, And hope for the best! People have gotten amazing results 6-8weeks, But it requires real devotion, I'd suggest using Freeletics, If you've got some spare money, I've used it and know a friend who was quite large who used it also, and the results can be awesome, But good luck with it man!

hi
    Strength training is an important piece of the fitness equation. Men and women should participate in muscle strengthening activities that work the major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, chest, abdomen, shoulders and arms) at least two times each week.

Thanks

Deleted
    225lbs @ 6'1"

I eat a very strict calorie deficit and I do alot of cardio with weights every other day. Sunday's my rest day.

But, I'm more interested in building strength. My diet's under control and I'm losing weight constantly.
    You are not going to build the necessary muscles to do pulls ups at 6,1+ 225lbs(that's like 100kg according to google) in 2 weeks, at a calorie deficit. Not in any natural way by exercising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    You are not going to build the necessary muscles to do pulls ups at 6,1+ 225lbs(that's like 100kg according to google) in 2 weeks, at a calorie deficit. Not in any natural way by exercising.
    I'm down to 220 today and I hit my first pull up yesterday. But, you're right and I'm wondering if I can hit 5 in May then?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm down to 220 today and I hit my first pull up yesterday. But, you're right and I'm wondering if I can hit 5 in May then?
    Goals are great but difficult to be accurate predictions. Just tear it up and eat accordingly and it will come, just difficult to say exactly when. With your situation, losing weight and gaining muscle would both help though it isn't necessarily trivial to do at the same time. Many people cut, bulk, cut to get into the desired physique and strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like nutrition is under control... join a gym and get a pt to help u get strength! Easiest way to get started!
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spalding View Post
    Seems like nutrition is under control... join a gym and get a pt to help u get strength! Easiest way to get started!
    Already go to a gym and have a PT. I was just seeing if anybody else had any advice.

Deleted
    Don't know how long, you've been training to get those 5 pull ups, But 2 things worth mentioning. First off, Losing weight makes it easier ( Thank you Captain obvious). Secondly, For the first few weeks you should notice a huge gain in what you are able to do. This has nothing to do with muscle mass, but rather that your muscles gets used to the exercises and used to working which makes them work more efficiently and is very noticeable. The hardest thing to overcome actually comes after this as you suddenly don't notice the gain as much as before and therefor it becomes de-motivational and frustrating for a lot of people, which essentially makes them quit.

So keep working on it, and keep losing weight until you reach whatever goal you have and you should notice things. Also, just a tip but do full body workouts, rather than focusing muscle groups as it will help you burn more fat and help you lose weight. Plus your other muscles will be able to support the primary muscles you use during pull ups.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I would suggest to concentrate on lat pulldowns prior to doing pullups. It builds strong pulling base. Also in the mean time, do as many negative pullups as you can. You can mix in dips.
    Pullups also require a strong grip. You can do hanging from the bar but it if it's a thin bar, it won't have the best effect. You need something thick. Take a bath towel, wrap it around the pullup bar, hold both ends of the towel, lean at about 50-60 degrees and do pull ups or like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJvGy6beBo

Deleted
    Well, it depends on how much weight you'll lose until then against how much strength/muscle you'll retain(and even gain since you are a beginner). I can't predict your performance in 6 weeks since I don't know what exercises you do exactly but yes, its possible to do 5 by May.

Also, please don't do the towel thing above. There are so many ways you'll injure yourself, I won't even begin.