Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My first name was Aatu. I definetly did not like that name because it was nickname for Hitler in Finland. My surname also starts with "H" so other kids called me Hitler because of Adolf Hitler = A.H and because my name literally was same as Hitler had as a nickname. Also many gives that name for dog for some reason.

Anyway my current name is Aada (because of sexchange). I told my parents that they have to give me new name because otherwise I would feel like throwing away a name they gave me when I was born. They chose Aada because it's similar, it's common, it's simple and it is like super normal name. There is nothing special in that name other than it's pretty common name right now. They knew that I wanted to have name that has nothing special linked to it.
    Aada is like Ada but is pronounced way differently since Fins pronounce letters differently than English person would.

Ιωάννης, Ioannis in English.

English analogue would be John.

I like it. I usually tell xeno friends/gfs to just call me 'Ion'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Toothry Sevin
    I'm going to be so very disappointed if that isn't your actual name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Ιωάννης, Ioannis in English.

English analogue would be John.

I like it. I usually tell xeno friends/gfs to just call me 'Ion'.
    Ion is a fantastic name. Though I'm not sure how Ioannis turns into John .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Ion is a fantastic name. Though I'm not sure how Ioannis turns into John .
    Not sure either, but it's been that way for centuries. The diminutive form is Giannis. Similar to Giovanni (John in Italian), Johann (John in...Germanic, I think), and Ivan in Russian.

I think the original Hebrew name was Yohannon. From there the Greeks took it, then it spread through Europe.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2017-07-18 at 04:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Not sure either, but it's been that way for centuries. The diminutive form is Giannis. Similar to Giovanni (John in Italian), Johann (John in...Germanic, I think), and Ivan in Russian.

I think the original Hebrew name was Yohannon. From there the Greeks took it, then it spread through Europe.
    I think a lot of these names especially Abrahamic ones evolve over time such as Joseph and Younis are actually referring to the same person religious history wise.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Matthew. Dad named me so after an angel or saint or apostle or something else in catholic mythology.

Whoops turned out he was a gay atheist instead.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2017-07-18 at 04:43 AM.

I don't tell people my real name so, my nickname that I chose is Rae. No it's not a short version of something like Rachel. My nickname is nothing like my real name.
    As for my real name, no story I assume. Probably just picked it cause it was a common name at the time.

Alex.

My parents picked it, common name I guess.

It's alright.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hint: A common and even popular Welsh girls name.

It starts with an L but isn't the ɬ sound of the Ll.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2017-07-18 at 05:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was named after a character in a religious book I have no affiliation with, involving a den of animals. Needless to say, I hate it. I actually went by my middle name, which is 'the average - ' name, for a time.

The only people who actually refer to me by that name are family - my friends and others call me Darien. Long story, don't feel like getting into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Russian: Valériy
    Chinese: 永康 (Yongkang)

Both names have the same meaning, Valeriy originates from Latin valeo - be strong, healthy, etc. 永康 literally translates as forever healthy. These names aren't so popular among younger people.

Non-Asian people prefer to call me Val, almost all Asians prefer to call me Yongkang, it's easier to memorise, as they say

-- edit #1

I like both of them. The only peeve is when people stress "iy", like in French name Valery, whereas in my case "e" is stressed, as in Spanish Valerio. Some people even fail to repeat it correctly after me, thus I prefer to use Val instead.

It's gets really weird, when I'm around my buddies who're from different parts of the world, half of them calls me Val, another half calls me Yongkang, it confuses strangers a lot. Some people tried to call me Khan (that's how Kang sounds), but I always stop them.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-07-18 at 06:07 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Melissa. I like it fine unless somebody calls me smelly melly. I'm not even smelly.
    I loled a little bit because we have something like this in Germany too for the name Ursula, it is called Uschi die Muschi haha, I won't translate it now, pls no bannerino mister moderino.

-------

What's your first name only?

Michael

And what's the story behind it?

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) meaning "who is like God?". This is a rhetorical question, implying no person is like God. Michael is one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament he is named as a protector of Israel. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies in the war against Satan, and is thus considered the patron saint of soldiers in Christianity.

And do you like your name?

I love my name because it can be used in any language, I just love my name
    Last edited by Dismembered; 2017-07-18 at 05:44 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sonja. I like it in real life exchanges. I like hearing it; I think it sounds great. But I hate the spelling. My biggest pet peeve is people phonetically sounding out the J (Son-JUH). The J in Sonja makes a y-sound instead. I wish it were spelt Sonya or Sonia instead, so I could avoid that terrible mispronunciation.

The story is simply that it was my grandfather's favorite name for a girl, and he had only grandsons until I came along. He pretty much twisted my parent's arms to get me named that... which is odd, since he had 3 daughters of his own, but meh, what can you do? Maybe it wasn't his favorite until later in life, hard to say. I never asked.

I was named after a Welsh prince.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mathew. (Not Matthew)

Named after a good friend of my mother's in high school, atypical spelling included.

The name has given me a surprising amount of first world grief for such a simple alteration. At best it's constant mispells by other people in emails, at worst it's getting official documents or billing accounts misnamed due to the person filling it out. The issue is further compounded by having a short, simple but foreign surname.

Despite this, I have become oddly stubborn and proud of my minor and trivial claim to being a special snowflake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kyle, no story that I know of, meh/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    First name is, Morten.

No story behind it, was given at my birth because I apparently looked like a 'Morten'. The name itself as a string off the old name, Martin.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Joachim

It's a bitch when I'm travelling, as I've yet to meet a native English speaker who's able to pronounce it without a lot of help.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Named after an American President. Not because of the who he was/what he did but because my Father heard the Name on TV and liked it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Hint: A common and even popular Welsh girls name.

It starts with an L but isn't the ɬ sound of the Ll.
    I don't know Welsh and I won't Google and cheat. So I'll say Linda.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis