Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

"Blizzard Games Will Stop Working on Older Windows Versions"

Damn you Windows 10. NEVAAAAAAAR

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...rsions-October

If you're playing any of Blizzard's current games on Windows XP or Vista, you'll need to upgrade your OS soon.

It's been eight years since Microsoft offered support for Windows XP, and five years since it ceased support for Windows Vista. Despite that, many gamers continue to run those operating systems. But if you're playing a current Blizzard game on one of those OSes, you might want to prepare to upgrade.

Blizzard announced yesterday that its current titles, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, will end support for XP and Vista this October. The announcement reads,

"Microsoft ceased mainstream support for these versions of Windows in 2009 and 2012, respectively, but since a decent portion of our audience was still using them at the time, we continued supporting them. However, there have been three major Windows releases since Vista, and at this point, the vast majority of our audience has upgraded to one of the newer versions."

If you're on one of those operating systems, you won't just cease getting support, the games won't run at all. Blizzard says, "The games will not run on these older operating systems once they are no longer supported, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version. We'll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule, and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game."

This announcement isn't a huge surprise, as Blizzard made the announcement back in February that this move would be coming sometime this year. There's no mention of whether this will affect the new StarCraft Remaster, but I wouldn't bet against it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one of note will be affected by this.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    considering that XP and Vista are 15 and 10 years old, this is no surprise. and you don't have to upgrade to Windows 10, you can always use Windows 7 or 8

DX12 support coming soon confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who is honestly still using Windows XP or Vista? I mean i know somewhere in the world that may be someones only choice but these OS are ancient now.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Who is honestly still using Windows XP or Vista?
    Indeed, anyone who values performance would have upgraded to at least 8 or greater.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Who is honestly still using Windows XP or Vista? I mean i know somewhere in the world that may be someones only choice but these OS are ancient now.
    There are a lot of places that still use it and such. The difference is I doubt many gamers are actually using those. By now most have either built a newer computer (and got a new OS) and bought a pre-built in a store which again has higher version.

I know many won't be hindered by this. It was just strange that they aren't just stopping support for older OS's, the games just won't run anymore. Probably a reason, but just seems harsh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just use Windows 7 then. Kind of weird that anyone is still using XP or Vista on their personal computers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    considering that XP and Vista are 15 and 10 years old, this is no surprise. and you don't have to upgrade to Windows 10, you can always use Windows 7 or 8
    I think that soon, Windows 8.1 will be the only version aside from 10 still getting security updates, but I could be mistaken.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I know people who purchased stupid expensive software (like 15-20k) years ago that only works on XP and they still cling to it. One of them was financial software for an architecture firm and I explained to her...in a nice way, how stupid that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I think that soon, Windows 8.1 will be the only version aside from 10 still getting security updates, but I could be mistaken.

Unless it changed in the past month end of life for 7 is in 2020.

You mean they are finally dropping support for outdated and unsupported Operating Systems?

About time. There's literally no point supporting an OS they can't develop future stuff for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    7 gets security updates until 2020. Extended Support ends in 2020.

Only Mainstream support has ended which is big things like Service Packs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You mean they are finally dropping support for outdated and unsupported Operating Systems?

About time.

- - - Updated - - -

7 gets security updates until 2020. Extended Support ends in 2020.

Only Mainstream support has ended which is big things like Service Packs.
    Ah, well good stuff. I liked W7.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

As long as I can keep my Win7 I'm fine

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkiman View Post
    Sure until 2020. I imagine devs may start to drop support for that some years after Extended Support is gone. Or when the market share of 7 is extremely low.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I know many won't be hindered by this. It was just strange that they aren't just stopping support for older OS's, the games just won't run anymore. Probably a reason, but just seems harsh.
    Not harsh at all. Why try and design for something that could just create problems?

Deleted
    This is great news.

Time to move the game to DX12 or Vulkan.

Come on already Blizz, Ryzen needs to be used at it's full POWAH!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No one of note will be affected by this.
    That is true. The only person of note in this puny universe is the gracious myself and I won't be affected. You can proceed to polish my boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkiman View Post
    Is there any reason you are avoiding the huge memory and HDD performance enhancements from 8 on ?

I think anyone who is stuck on Windows 7 has no right to criticise people stuck on Windows XP

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

It's kind of sad considering that Windows XP is arguably the best OS ever made. But it's totally understandable, people need to move on after all these years.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.