Deleted

Constant BSOD with Nvidia GTX 1070

Ok so within 3 days i have had 7 BSOD's with my GTX 1070, this problem has existed since day one so im looking for some pro help now.

Setup is as follows
    Screen: 15.6" Fuld HD - NVIDIA G-Sync, 60Hz
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
    CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor with 4 cores on 2.80 GHz (3.80 GHz Turbo)
    RAM: 16 GB RAM DDR4 2133 MHz (2x8GB)
    Storage: 2x240 GB SSD

WhoCrashed report:

On Sat 29-07-2017 12:42:55 your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072917-7984-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xA1F7D8)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF9184C118F4A0, 0xFFFFF80FA5F1F7D8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvcvi.inf_amd64_82f0027a32304e66\nvlddmkm.s ys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Speccy information about my setup
    http://imgur.com/a/yMYnV

If there is anything else you need to help me, please let me know.

Tried:
    DDU + Clean install of newest driver from Nvidia site
    DDU + Clean install of an older driver from Nvidia site
    Added TdrDelay Value 8 & 20 both tested
    RAM Tested (no problems found)
    Last edited by mmoce9a77ae127; 2017-08-01 at 01:23 AM.

What are you running when it crashes? What make/model is your GPU?

Deleted
    Slightly OT:

Why a 15,6" screen? O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    Slightly OT:

Why a 15,6" screen? O.o
    Laptop

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Laptop
    AAah!

10-chars!

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Laptop
    Well...that would probably explain the crashing then....these cards generate a ton of heat.

When does the BSOD comes up? Is it random or specific task? While you're ingame for example. Also, download GPU-Z and check temperatures underload. I would guess you have a manufacturing defect in your laptop with either GPU power delivery, GPU itself or VRAM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apluscarp View Post
    What are you running when it crashes? What make/model is your GPU?
    As stated it is a Geforce GTX 1070, basicly anything from starting a overwatch match to loading up wow

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    This is usually to do with driver timeout detection threshold being either too low, or too high, and possibly the recovery option not being set.

It's a regedit change that might work. In simple terms, here's what you need to do;

1) Start regedit.exe
    2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    3) Right-click the right-side pane. If running 64-bit Windows, select New > QWORD, or select New > DWORD if running 32-bit Windows.
    4) The new key name should be 'TdrDelay' (no quote marks) and the value should be 8.

You might also want to try higher values of TdrDelay as this is sometimes effective with specific games. If it's a specific game that's not completely new, try rolling back to an earlier version.
    Ok trying first with a older version, then ill try with the tdrdelay if that doesnt work. cheers for the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    When does the BSOD comes up? Is it random or specific task? While you're ingame for example. Also, download GPU-Z and check temperatures underload. I would guess you have a manufacturing defect in your laptop with either GPU power delivery, GPU itself or VRAM.
    Temp is roughly 70-75 Degrees during gaming, and 45ish when not.

- - - Updated - - -

Except for the fact it only happens when i load shit, not while im actually ingame.

So say im starting a new match of Overwatch i can get BSOD 9 times out of 10 it wont happen tho.
    But midgame it never happens

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you use some external hardware that cennects with Thunderbolt to run the new GPU?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Do you use some external hardware that cennects with Thunderbolt to run the new GPU?
    No its a PC not a Mac

Have you attempted to use some older drivers yet? see if it still happens with older drivers to at least rule out that the current driver has an issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smackyslap View Post
    Have you attempted to use some older drivers yet? see if it still happens with older drivers to at least rule out that the current driver has an issue.
    Im trying that atm, still no BSOD's as of yet

Edit: So it happened after all a BSOD with old driver, drying TdrDelay method now
    Last edited by mmoce9a77ae127; 2017-07-31 at 07:03 PM.