Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds developer slams Fornite for "replicating" gameplay

Will "contemplate further action".
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...es-replicating

The developer of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has hit out at Epic's Fortnite for "replicating" its game.

In an eyebrow-raising press release, Bluehole exec Chang Han Kim slammed Fortnite's new Battle Royale mode for its similarities to PUBG. Kim said his studio was "concerned" and - ominously - stated it would "contemplate further action".

It's a surprising position to take; despite Battlegrounds' huge popularity, it is far from the first game to offer Battle Royale-inspired gameplay. It's not even the first competitor from a major publisher - GTA Online recently launched its own take, for example.

Fornite is muscling in with the might of Epic behind it, and this week announced an aggressive launch proposition: it will be completely free to download and launch on console as soon as next week, eclipsing PUBG's own Xbox One version. It's feels like it's rattled Bluepoint - not least because Epic has mentioned PUBG while talking about its competitor.

"We've had an ongoing relationship with Epic Games throughout PUBG's development as they are the creators of [Unreal Engine], the engine we licensed for the game," Kim stated. "After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known.

"We have also noticed that Epic Games references PUBG in the promotion of Fortnite to their community and in communications with the press. This was never discussed with us and we don't feel that it's right.
    "

"The PUBG community has and continues to provide evidence of the many similarities as we contemplate further action."

It's unclear what further action Bluepoint plans to take. We've asked both Bluepoint and Epic for more information.
    Update
    http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-cla...ffer-pcgamertw

(full details of the link is on page 3 post 41, if you don't feel like clicking the link).
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-09-23 at 07:26 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Dont play PUBG i just watch it for DrDisrespect, best entertainer on twitch imo

Still a pretty shitty move.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-09-22 at 09:18 PM.

Deleted
    I think the creators of the Battle Royale movie should take a closer look at PUBG, then............

in other words, god fucking damnit the corpo heads behind this game are getting increasingly greedy the more popular the game gets.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Ohh please, these BR games have been a thing since the original Arma mod, and they even copied Battle Royale and Hunger Games (which is based on BR's concept).

You cannot copyright a game mode, I'm pretty sure. Besides, the two are so different. It seems to me like the developer doesn't like competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Dont play PUGS i just watch it for DrDisrespect, best entertainer on twitch imo

Still a pretty shitty move.
    "The two time!!"
    Love that dude.

Deleted
    Hahaha. What a joke. We'd have no games if the first company to make a game in a genre, using specific game mechanics had some kind of a right to that genre or those specifics.

How the fuck is a game as generic as Player Unknown's Battle Ground claiming anything ripped them off? Wow I can't believe other games that are large-scale everyone vs. everyone survival games exist. Next you'll tell me there's an RPG that ripped off Final Fantasy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendor View Post
    "The two time!!"
    Love that dude.
    Haha yeah, really funny when he speaks chinese or well i think it's just gibberish he speaks but it sounds fun lol.

Shit like this is why I love Korean devs/publishers sometimes. They're so locked in their own little bubble and have little idea of how the Western marketplace works, leading to hilariously cringey shit like this.

I say this having spent years working with various Korean devs/publishers and needing to painfully walk them through how western markets/media work, only for them to completely ignore everything and still just assume everything will work like it does in Korea. And then have them get angry when it "somehow" doesn't.

I've got all kinds of popcorn ready and waiting for this one.

It's amusing to me that the developer of one of the biggest games in the world right now is behaving like the sort of isolated indie dev who lashes out at anything they see as a threat to their project.

Hasn't fortnite been in development wayyy longer than PUBG?

Deleted
    You know, that kinda makes you wonder just how much influence does the PLAYER UNKNOWN have over his own game. I recall reading something about them wanting to add cross servers between xbox and PC and while everyone is saying that it's a retarded idea, they're being pretty adamant about it. Maybe it's the crosseyed corpos issuing the order?

They're really contemplating further action than impotent complaining? Do they not know anything about the MOBA genre? How about every open world game where you have to do a tower climb or clear an enemy encampment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Are those guys really under impression that THEY invented battle royale genre ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    It's amusing to me that the developer of one of the biggest games in the world right now is behaving like the sort of isolated indie dev who lashes out at anything they see as a threat to their project.
    To be fair, Bluehole got lucky, but they're not an especially large publisher. The only other game they're known for is TERA, and that was only moderately successful. Even in Korea they're far eclipsed in size by publishers like NCsoft and Nexon.

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is made by the person who made the original mod for Arma. He also helped create H1Z1.

He did, however, NOT help create the gamemode for Fortnite. I personally think they're in their right to at least bring up the topic that Fortnite is copying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Livsie View Post
    Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is made by the person who made the original mod for Arma. He also helped create H1Z1.

He did, however, NOT help create the gamemode for Fortnite. I personally think they're in their right to at least bring up the topic that Fortnite is copying them.
    They do not have any legal standing based on precedent for action to be taken, but you're right, they do have the right to complain about it.

Deleted
    Yeah, because 'copying' in any entertainment industry is illegal or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Livsie View Post
    I personally think they're in their right to at least bring up the topic that Fortnite is copying them.
    Copying a genre, game mode or game mechanics is perfectly fine and allowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're made because Battle Royal is free (in a few days), more stable, and has its gimmick to attract players.

Resident Cosplay Progressive