Poll: What you reckon?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What do you think of this....

I was talking with a mate the other day, and he brought up something that I hadn't thought of... What if you choose what faction your toon is. Like a Horde Gnome or an Alliance Tauren. His idea was: Each race has their own starter area up to level 10 as that is the PvP start. Then upon reaching level 10, you chose your Faction. This would come about as all the leaders are wiped at a big meeting to speak of a new enemy. That enemy then wipes out and kills all leaders. The Horde and Alliance band together, but still insist on being separate factions. There is a big council, of all races. Then they agree to have all races allowed on both sides.

This not a "Leak Thread" but a "Speculation Thread" if you like.
    I was just wondering what people thought of this... I think it is a really cool but a strange concept.
    World of Warcraft (Retail): Frostmourne - Alliance
    World of Warcraft (Classic): Remulos - Alliance

After the faction option in MoP I have thought it would be cool if you could have 1 toon per server from the opposite faction. There are plenty of outlier groups that are apart of or actively work with what in game is their enemy faction based on race alone. So letting players do it once and treat it like DKs before of DH now. It would also help table some of the racial complaints.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    After the faction option in MoP I have thought it would be cool if you could have 1 toon per server from the opposite faction. There are plenty of outlier groups that are apart of or actively work with what in game is their enemy faction based on race alone. So letting players do it once and treat it like DKs before of DH now. It would also help table some of the racial complaints.
    Yeah, I think that was part of his idea. Especially, the racial complaints.

I think that established alliance and horde races should stay that way.

Provided the story makes sense, a new race being introduced as neutral is ok.

What would be interesting is a mercenary style play, were you can raid, dungeon, pvp or what ever with opposite faction players, but it gives you a mercenary debuff. That debuff time increases the longer you are grouped with opposite faction players. If you do not let it wear off, the debuff gets a new stack every time you enter a new group with opposite faction players. The debuff reduces your own faction reps while applied and for every stack, the rep reduction is increased. When the debuff wears off, you get your rep back.

This allows you to play what ever you like, and the debuff acts as limiting factor, increasing untill you are hated by your faction and you have to let it wear off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelium View Post
    I was talking with a mate the other day, and he brought up something that I hadn't thought of... What if you choose what faction your toon is. Like a Horde Gnome or an Alliance Tauren. His idea was: Each race has their own starter area up to level 10 as that is the PvP start. Then upon reaching level 10, you chose your Faction. This would come about as all the leaders are wiped at a big meeting to speak of a new enemy. That enemy then wipes out and kills all leaders. The Horde and Alliance band together, but still insist on being separate factions. There is a big council, of all races. Then they agree to have all races allowed on both sides.

This not a "Leak Thread" but a "Speculation Thread" if you like.
    I was just wondering what people thought of this... I think it is a really cool but a strange concept.
    You'd be a tauren, but with a blue symbol instead of a red one.

Your idea is very similar to the old everquest 2 betrayal system. Where at a certin level you could choose to betray your faction and become a member of the other faction if you felt like it. Yes it was permanent unless you wanted to betray back.

Quote Originally Posted by sociald1077 View Post
    I think that established alliance and horde races should stay that way.

Provided the story makes sense, a new race being introduced as neutral is ok.

What would be interesting is a mercenary style play, were you can raid, dungeon, pvp or what ever with opposite faction players, but it gives you a mercenary debuff. That debuff time increases the longer you are grouped with opposite faction players. If you do not let it wear off, the debuff gets a new stack every time you enter a new group with opposite faction players. The debuff reduces your own faction reps while applied and for every stack, the rep reduction is increased. When the debuff wears off, you get your rep back.

This allows you to play what ever you like, and the debuff acts as limiting factor, increasing untill you are hated by your faction and you have to let it wear off.
    Makes sense, but that makes it an unappealing factor.... I don't like the idea of a debuff, but maybe something that allows you to get high rep with other faction... and possibly being able to enter the other Faction's cities and ride their mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimad View Post
    Your idea is very similar to the old everquest 2 betrayal system. Where at a certin level you could choose to betray your faction and become a member of the other faction if you felt like it. Yes it was permanent unless you wanted to betray back.
    That wouldn't make sense in this game though. Even if a dwarf or whatever betrayed the alliance, no horde is going to welcome him and vice versa. It has no place in the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    You'd be a tauren, but with a blue symbol instead of a red one.
    Perhaps but some people are Alliance orientated, hate the Horde quests, etc. But really want to play as a Tauren. It just means more fun as they get what they want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    That wouldn't make sense in this game though. Even if a dwarf or whatever betrayed the alliance, no horde is going to welcome him and vice versa. It has no place in the lore.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Granted. I never said it would work. Even lorewise. Just that his idea is similar. A rogue third faction maybe. But again, however youll have lore nuts comming out of the wood works saying theres no such thing. In the end as far as lore goes all it takes is a author to put it in a book.

They experimented on "choosing your faction" in BC and WotLK with Aldor/Scryers and Frenzyheart/Oracles.
    Neither worked -- no matter how minuscule the difference, people just ended up migrating to whichever faction gave them the bigger advantage.

I'd rather them just get rid of the factions (since we keep teaming up to deal with bigger threats anyways) and have PvP be effectively "War Training". Have the option to toggle PvP in the world for World PvP still and make it everyone vs everyone (like the Black Rook Arena setup). This would actually address concerns of faction imbalances and allow people to play what race they want and still group with friends regardless of race.

I think having two factions still has some sense in the game world, and I think it should stay.
    But I would very, very much like the possibility to choose which one my toon belonged to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    They experimented on "choosing your faction" in BC and WotLK with Aldor/Scryers and Frenzyheart/Oracles.
    Neither worked -- no matter how minuscule the difference, people just ended up migrating to whichever faction gave them the bigger advantage.
    You are comparing two different things here. You do realise that right?

The alliance and horde factions in wow hasn't had any power difference since shaman was horde and paladin was alliance only.

Killing every faction leader simultaneously for the sole purpose of implementing open factions. Have to say, it's not exactly what I would call a selling point.

Personally I'd rather have the option to join neutral, potentially class-specific, factions (Order of the Silver Hand, Earthen Ring, Cenarion Circle, etc). The idea of Alliance races being able to join the Horde, and vice versa, just seems too far-fetched.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2017-09-05 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    You are comparing two different things here. You do realise that right?

The alliance and horde factions in wow hasn't had any power difference since shaman was horde and paladin was alliance only.
    They do. You know, since orcs, trolls, and goblins are horde exclusive races.

Why do some people want to make factions irrelevant? That's the core of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    They do. You know, since orcs, trolls, and goblins are horde exclusive races.
    Those are race differences not faction differences. Furthermore if races where able to switch factions that would be a non issue.

Welcome to the thread lol

Quote Originally Posted by Xelium View Post
    Makes sense, but that makes it an unappealing factor.... I don't like the idea of a debuff, but maybe something that allows you to get high rep with other faction... and possibly being able to enter the other Faction's cities and ride their mounts.
    The thing is, picking your faction is one of the few choices in WoW with impact. Making a choice that doesnt allow you to have access to other things gives it some weight. Faction and class are the 2 biggest real choices you have in WoW. And having an actual choice is something that is very good for the game.

My suggestion bridges the gap of playing with friends and allowing you to play as your chosen race without removing or eroding too much of the choice you made. The debuff is an intentional limiting factor to retain the weight of your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Why do some people want to make factions irrelevant? That's the core of the game.
    It's a very out dated part of the core game. While I don't think it could really work, there could be some sort of way for players who are friends with players on the opposite faction can group up together to do small group content(non-raid content).

While factions are a major part of any wow and many other MMORPGs they are an incredibly outdated system. They prevent friends from playing together, they can hinder small servers because only a fraction of the players are of 1 faction or the other. Not saying this worked perfectly or it's the way to go, but ESO removed factions for everything but PvP and it's helped improve the game because there aren't 3(they have 3 factions) different groups of people, it's just 1 massive group.

I'd like to see some way for friends to group up and do stuff no matter their faction, but I honestly don't see it happening or working in wow. I was shocked when we got the Merc mode in BGs honestly.