Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Is she beautiful Yes or No?

We are talking landscapes but let's test your theory.
    Catherine Zeta-Jones? I think she's fairly attractive.

How's this going to test my theory? You'd have to poll hundreds of people with hundreds of pictures. Why don't you pick someone a little more controversial anyway? There are certainly people that are attractive to some and not to others.

In any case, I tend to think that appreciation of a landscape comes from a different part of the brain than sexual attraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Catherine Zeta-Jones? I think she's fairly attractive.

How's this going to test my theory? You'd have to poll hundreds of people with hundreds of pictures. Why don't you pick someone a little more controversial anyway? There are certainly people that are attractive to some and not to others.

In any case, I tend to think that appreciation of a landscape comes from a different part of the brain than sexual attraction.
    Well I am going to take that as a Yes, and it proves beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because it wouldn't matter who you were beauty is beauty. Now beauty could be subjective based on said individual, but I think the overall consensus is across the board, and unless there is at least sensible reason.

Beauty isn't really in the eye of the beholder, it is in the eye of whoever has the most influence. Whether that is actually true is a philosophical argument
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Well I am going to take that as a Yes, and it proves beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because it wouldn't matter who you were beauty is beauty. Now beauty could be subjective based on said individual, but I think the overall consensus is across the board, and unless there is at least sensible reason.

Beauty isn't really in the eye of the beholder, it is in the eye of whoever has the most influence. Whether that is actually true is a philosophical argument
    I'm going to have to stop you there and point out that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is literally saying that beauty is subjective.

How about Miley Cyrus? In her short-hair-tongue-out phase. That's a controversial one. Or Hillary Swank, she's often a topic of debate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to have to stop you there and point out that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is literally saying that beauty is subjective.

How about Miley Cyrus? In her short-hair-tongue-out phase. That's a controversial one. Or Hillary Swank, she's often a topic of debate.
    Yes and Yes to both even if I find them unattractive, they are beautiful, that says nothing about any other thing concerning them.

/Nessie does a fin's up for Scotland!!

/Nessie pops out the bagpipes and starts playing

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    /Nessie does a fin's up for Scotland!!

/Nessie pops out the bagpipes and starts playing
    /Nessie asks for about tree fiddy.

Yes and Yes to both even if I find them unattractive, they are beautiful, that says nothing about any other thing concerning them.
    You find them unattractive, but say they're beautiful, and somehow this contorted logic shows that beauty is not subjective rather than... the opposite?

10+ Year Old Account
    You find them unattractive, but say they're beautiful, and somehow this contorted logic shows that beauty is not subjective rather than... the opposite?
    I find them unattractive but the overall consensus across the board isn't what defines beauty?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I took the title from the news source. Do you want me to be accurate or not bud?
    Hey bud, you do realize that your "news" is actually just referring to a poll conducted by some random website called "Rough Guides", right? The actual blog article which is the original source for this "news" of yours doesn't even mention any polling parameters, other than "we asked our readers to vote";

https://www.roughguides.com/gallery/...-in-the-world/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rough Guides
    There’s nothing like an amazing view to inspire you to book your next trip, whether you’re drawn by rolling countryside, isolated islands or soaring mountain peaks. To help spark your imagination, we asked our readers to vote for the most beautiful country in the world. These are the results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_Guides

Basically it's just some random travel guide that may or may not have been popular pre-internet, and since then it has become just another random website on the internet. This poll they conducted may very well have been answered by all of five people, since they give absolutely no data on their polling.

Do a poll here on MMO-Champion, Tennisace. Ask which country is the most beautiful. It'll be as reliable a source as this "news" of yours.

I find them unattractive but the overall consensus across the board isn't what defines beauty?
    This is mind bending. You're saying beauty is objective because of a consensus that exists outside of your subjective preferences.

I can only conclude that you don't understand the concept of objective versus subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is mind bending. You're saying beauty is objective because of a consensus that exists outside of your subjective preferences.

I can only conclude that you don't understand the concept of objective versus subjective.
    It just means in this case theory don't meet the practice. If the overall consensus agree. That someone is beautiful and you don't. Which is the truth?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-09-06 at 10:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It just means in this case theory don't meet the practice. If the overall consensus agree. That some is beautiful and you don't. Which is the truth?
    What one person finds beautiful another might find horrific... So, beauty is subjective... the overall consensus be damned. Same with music what one person finds enjoyable another might feel like it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. So, musical tastes are also subjective.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    What one person finds beautiful another might find horrific... So, beauty is subjective... the overall consensus be damned. Same with music what one person finds enjoyable another might feel like it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. So, musical tastes are also subjective.
    Really then why do we have award shows since music is so subjective?

But of Course, our land is glorious :P

They must not have been north of Edmonton. We drove from Idaho up to northern Alberta for a fishing trip. Banff national park was gorgeous though.

Tbh, northern Alberta kind of reminded me of southern Georgia. Flat land and thick forrest. Some highway that seemed to go endlessly in a straight line. It was kind of creepy. I'm used to hills and mountains. Just needed a mountie with a banjo.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Deleted
    A list of the top ten most beautiful countries in the world and they have England, Scotland and Wales in it?
    That doesn't seems biased at all.

It just means in this case theory don't meet the practice. If the overall consensus agree. That someone is beautiful and you don't. Which is the truth?
    Remind me never to argue with you again. I think we all got dumber.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Look I can also link a random article from a random publication

http://www.ucityguides.com/cities/to...the-world.html

Canada not even in the top ten

Sad. Bigly sad.
    That list is actually more agreeable than the obscure stuff posted in the OP.

Generally it's something to be taken with a grain of salt, or say, use common sense.
    Some random travel site posts list of surveyed stuff. Can't be that the site has some commercial interest, right?
    Can't be that the commissions for certain destinations benefit the travel agency that is behind the site more... lol
    I definitely believe Travelocity, if they tell me that this and that place is the best and that I must visit it.

Doesn't mean that there aren't good lists.
    There are some, that actually lay out their criteria.
    It's sources from established institutions that have a reputation. They actually explain how they arrive at the results.

"travelers voted"... Nice.. how many? Where did they come from?
    Have they been at all the places on the list most recently?
    Questions over questions.

And then there's the final conclusion.
    Fuck the lists, go out and get your own impressions.
    The matter of country beauty lies entirely in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2017-09-06 at 01:03 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    This is a top news story today so nothing is wrong with someone posting it.
    Bwahahahahahahaha. This is as much a Top News story as all of your fat shaming threads.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    From what I hear from the folks at BAAD, the gentrification of Calton is just round the corner.
    Well lets hope its at least within the next 50 years so the current generation of children can enjoy it.