Spirit Bomb Question

New vengeance tank here. my question is: should we use spirit bomb at 1 fragment or only use it at 4-5 fragments?

Spirit Bomb
    40 yd range
    Instant
    Launch a nearby Soul Fragment at your target, dealing [ 440% of Attack Power ] Fire damage to all nearby enemies and afflicting them with Frailty for 20 sec.
    You heal for 20% of all damage you deal to enemies with Frailty.

According the spell description, the number of soul fragments don't affect spirit bomb's damage (always 440% of Attack Power) or frailty duration (always 20 sec). So using SpB at 1 fragment is much better than using it at 4-5 fragments in dps?

That's an old ass tooltip my dude... Where the hell you getting that from? That is pre 7.2.5

Spirit Bomb Talent
    40 yd range
    Instant
    Requires Demon Hunter (Vengeance)
    Requires level 108
    Consume all Soul Fragments within 25 yds and then explode, afflicting nearby enemies with Frailty for 20 sec and damaging them for (180% of Attack power) Fire per fragment.

Is current live Spirit Bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    That's an old ass tooltip my dude... Where the hell you getting that from? That is pre 7.2.5

Spirit Bomb Talent
    40 yd range
    Instant
    Requires Demon Hunter (Vengeance)
    Requires level 108
    Consume all Soul Fragments within 25 yds and then explode, afflicting nearby enemies with Frailty for 20 sec and damaging them for (180% of Attack power) Fire per fragment.

Is current live Spirit Bomb.
    Thanks for pointing out.
    Yeah, I think i got the tooltip pre 7.2.5, yours are the current live. The difference is the damage nerf.

But still, the damage doesn't related to the number of soul fragment at all.
    So in order to max dps, we shall use Spirit bomb as often as possible whenever 1 fragment is available?

You use Spirit Bomb when you have 4-5 fragments, else it's a dps loss.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

But still, the damage doesn't related to the number of soul fragment at all.
    Yes it does, he just quoted you the post-rework tooltip that says that

"Consume all Soul Fragments within 25 yds and then explode, afflicting nearby enemies with Frailty for 20 sec and damaging them for (180% of Attack power) Fire per fragment."

The tooltip that you're reading and saying that does not scale for more than 1 fragment is from the old spirit bomb which could not fire multiple fragments at all

The only time I can think of to use it with less than 4-5 is if you need to get that healing debuff on them asap. You almost always want to use 4-5 though. I suppose you could also just use one in Mythic+ if you're running by mobs as a little bit of threat if you tank like me by leaping onto a pack, and then leaping to the next and doing a run and gun sort of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisibelf View Post
    The only time I can think of to use it with less than 4-5 is if you need to get that healing debuff on them asap. You almost always want to use 4-5 though. I suppose you could also just use one in Mythic+ if you're running by mobs as a little bit of threat if you tank like me by leaping onto a pack, and then leaping to the next and doing a run and gun sort of deal.
    I find it hard to keep my HP up in M+7 and above using Spirit Bomb build. I got used to Soul Cleave (max self heal build) in the past but took a few months break and learning Spirit Bomb now. Hence I was tempted to try using SB with just one fragment, just to get that healing debuff rolling. Would this be a good idea for tougher pulls? Does this debuff also scale with number of fragments somehow?

What is your ilvl? Spirit bomb rocks in all the content I have done, and honestly m+10 is not threatening to me at all at the moment. If you are struggling it is likely a gearing issue that is holding you back, and honestly going soul cleave won’t help that either.

Quote Originally Posted by MookieRah View Post
    What is your ilvl?
    It is around 907ilvl and I am still learning the spec and dungeons as a tank. Hence when too much shit gets pulled I was wondering about blasting SB at one fragment to apply the debuff and then normally smash is when 4-5 fragments are there. Talents I am using: 1222331.

Between all of your other cooldowns I don’t know why you would need to use an early sb. If you encounter a big pull then you should just use spikes early, immo aura, and then sb. You’ll do a lot of burst and get a hefty sb right off the bat.

Also, consider running demonic infusion. It allows you to have more spikes, preventing a death more consistently than last resort, and is even a dps boost as it gives free pain.

Quote Originally Posted by MookieRah View Post
    Also, consider running demonic infusion. It allows you to have more spikes, preventing a death more consistently than last resort, and is even a dps boost as it gives free pain.
    That is a valid point right there. Cheers for that. As for spikes itself sometimes running from one trash pack to another I find myself fury starved to pop DS on first touch. Therefore when I get to the point of having 1-2 souls around I am tempted to SB and follow it with any fire damaging spells available to get that initial selfheal pumping. Clearly I need more experience and open my mind to alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Eco View Post
    That is a valid point right there. Cheers for that. As for spikes itself sometimes running from one trash pack to another I find myself fury starved to pop DS on first touch. Therefore when I get to the point of having 1-2 souls around I am tempted to SB and follow it with any fire damaging spells available to get that initial selfheal pumping. Clearly I need more experience and open my mind to alternatives.
    Use Immo aura while running, gives pain at start and during duration. You'll lose a bit dps but if you need DS at the start of pack, might as well use it. Also, SB has a "cast time" so what you can do is, when you finish the pack and theres souls at ground, infernal strike to next pack but cast SB during the Infernal strike "click" and it will hit the aoe dmg the moment you land.
    P.S if you run dungeons, use a Flame Crash talent, enough selfhealing til you get enough pain to use DS or souls for SB.

Yeah, casting sb and then infernal striking into the next mob pack with a shitload of damage is one of my favorite things XD. Huuuge burst, especially if you can immo and then sb again right after.

I don't understand, you guys are talking like immo aura gives you 4-5 souls straight away. Is there something I'm missing ? I need to cast at least 1 fracture if I want to have 4-5 souls SB.

It depends on the pack, if you have 7+ mobs, chances are you have at least 3-4. Also, unless soul trackers have gotten way better, there is still a bit of a delay when it comes to knowing just how many are out (even with combat log reading ones) so I find it easier to just fire it off. It's also a way to get some quick burst and ensure there is 0 chance of anything else taking aggro, as well as smashing everything with the frailty buff on the get go.

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating this after the initial pull. In those cases ensure that you have enough souls as you don't have as many resources to keep smashing out, but in the beginning of a pull it is hard to beat Infernal Strike > Sigil of Flame (or Silence/Fear for Sephuz proc) > Immo aura > SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    I don't understand, you guys are talking like immo aura gives you 4-5 souls straight away. Is there something I'm missing ? I need to cast at least 1 fracture if I want to have 4-5 souls SB.
    Its the 2nd row middle talent, fallout was it called I think. "Immolation aura inital damage has chance to severe lesser soul fragments from enemy's hit"

Quote Originally Posted by Tinary View Post
    Its the 2nd row middle talent, fallout was it called I think. "Immolation aura inital damage has chance to severe lesser soul fragments from enemy's hit"
    That's right, it's the fallout talent. Thing is, I've rarely seen it proc more than 3 souls let alone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    That's right, it's the fallout talent. Thing is, I've rarely seen it proc more than 3 souls let alone 4.
    You're probably relying on the terrible in game tracking of souls then and not realizing it. It's definitely RNG but to say you never see 4 spawn off packs in M+ means you're the unluckiest person in the world or not understanding where the souls come from because of the in game delay.

Deleted
    If you have the bracers you can drop throw glaive into your aoe rotation. Huge threat and damage.