Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Proud Republican rails against universal health care. Plot twist: now he needs it.

The Source

A Twitter personality who goes by the name "Sassy Gay Republican" learned the hard way why health insurance is important. @SassyGayRepub has amassed a following of over 29,000 sticking it to "libs" and MAGAing it up, which includes being vehemently anti-Obamacare because it has "Obama" in it.

But like Tomi Lahren before him, Sassy Gay Republican learned that health insurance independent from the free market rat race just might be good.

Act I: Anti-Insurance

Act II: Anti-Single Payer

Act III: Car Accident

Act IV: Thoughts and Prayers

Wow, it's almost as if insurance companies do not have the best interest of patients at heart, and that vulnerable people in unfortunate situations should not have financial burdens exacerbate their physical one.

Thankfully, according to Twitter, our friend Sassy Gay Republican is in recovery. But if caring about other peoples' well-being isn't incentive enough to want universal healthcare, maybe a bad experience with an insurance company is.
    Oh the sweet irony that is known as karma. She's such a bitch!

That sounds a lot like he's talking about car insurance with the second set of tweets...

Not to mention the clickbait site it's sourced from.

Edit: Taking a quick look at his page, that account seems baity as fuck.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-09-21 at 09:38 PM.

99% sure that's talking about his car insurance.

Don't go full Venant.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2017-09-21 at 09:45 PM.

republicans; lacking any form of empathy will not learn from this. Maybe individually this kid will realize his mistake, or at least the irony of it. It will not affect the way other like-minded people see insurance, until of course it happens to them personally then let the tears and the gofundme's flow.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Can't he just buy a new car? Why does he need insurance when he's got money in the bank?

Don't they sell HSA accounts for cars and houses too?

Yeah, it does sound like car insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Taking a quick look at his page, that account seems baity as fuck.
    Guy looks like he's Ted Cruz's teenage kid. That alone is baity.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    The idea of karma is pernicious in that it presents disgrace as something one deserves. That is a pathetic and despicable world view.
    He can be a silly goose, and still receive some sympathy for his misfortune. Also: it's just a kid with kid ideas.

For those questioning about the insurance: the issue is that he used the car during his job hours (he's a pizza delivery boy). Insurance company is arguing that it's a labor accident, as I understand it (which would be covered by your employer here... but how that works in the US is a mystery to me).
    Though he has insisted that those tweets are about car insurance (not health insurance), the gofundme is intended to cover medical expenses.
    Funds will go towards:>Medication>Physical Therapy>Used Car>Medical Bills
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-09-21 at 10:15 PM.

I mean the take away from this is really rather straight forward. Most self-described "conservatives" online, most of all on Twitter, are nothing of the sort. They're knuckledragging morons who define themselves largely by what they're against and only minorly by what they're for. It's easy to be against everything "libtards" stand for (so to speak) until it actually effects you (the reverse is true too of course).

A comprehensive school of political thought is a complicated thing that takes years of soul searching, life experience, education, reading, and constant re-assessing to arrive at. Which is to say these would-be political priests, pontificating the way things should be when they have about five minutes of life experience, be it left or right, pontificating in their twenties, need to be put across their mother's knee and spanked for speaking out of turn. What in the blue hell does a 24 year old Pizza Delivery Boy know?

I will say the problem IS much worse on the right than the left, and for good reason. The left, broadly, simply does take a much more consistent "this is what we're for" position than the right. That's not to say it is at all better thought out (see: Berniecare), but it's a more productive kind of political regardless. Furthermore the left hasn't been nearly as subject to the intellectual and moral rot that has infected the right since the end of the Bush Administration.

There is lots of perfectly rational arguments to be had about the structure of healthcare and insurance and should it compensatory. But it's not a game. People like "Sassy Gay Republican" treat it as a game to score points.

I'm sorry for his travails, but he's exactly what's wrong with politics in America. Uninformed opinion and entertainment masquerading as principle. Men of principle don't cry on twitter when bad things happen to them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Oh the sweet irony that is known as karma. She's such a bitch!
    You couldn't write a better story if you tried. That is fantastic.

15+ Year Old Account
    For those curious & saying that this sounds like its about car insurance, its more than that. This is from a follow up article on the issue.

The Source

Basically, after posting endless tweets criticizing health care (not only Obamacare, but also the idea of insurance in general), Sassy Gay Republican was in a car accident while on the job delivering pizzas. He claims his insurance wouldn't cover his injuries (nor would his auto insurance cover damages to his car), so he's trying to raise $15,000 on GoFundMe to cover "medication, physical therapy, used car, medical bills." He wrote on GoFundMe that the hospital "didn't accept my insurance" and that "the bill will likely be in the thousands."
    Basically he's upset that the hospital won't take his insurance, the car insurance won't cover it because he was working at the time, and now he's stuck with bills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    For those curious & saying that this sounds like its about car insurance, its more than that. This is from a follow up article on the issue.

Basically he's upset that the hospital won't take his insurance, the car insurance won't cover it because he was working at the time, and now he's stuck with bills.
    Yeah, I thought it was just car insurance, but his actual post doesn't make sense. First, what sort of insurance does a pizza delivery guy have? From what I understand, those are part tine jobs with no insurance. Second, why would his insurance be turned away by a doctor? Public hospitals cannot turn away patients, even those without insurance.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Second, why would his insurance be turned away by a doctor? Public hospitals cannot turn away patients, even those without insurance.
    1. Networks probably.

2. What does that have to do with anything? "Can't turn away" doesn't have anything to do with them sending you bills.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    Public hospitals cannot turn away patients, even those without insurance.
    You are somewhat correct. If the hospital gets ANY federal funding they can not turn away a patient for having no insurance or the "wrong" insurance. Hospitals that don't receive any federal funding are allowed to turn away even emergency patients without insurance or the "wrong" insurance. I don't know the specifics in this case but whatever they are, he was seen at the hospital & treated but he got a bill because they don't take his insurance and/or the medical insurance doesn't want to pay for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not sassy or gay, but dammit do I feel lucky to have employer sponsored insurance. Its $500 a month but worth it.

Seems like he is just someone young that had all these ideas to change the world.
    I hope he learned something from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I thought it was just car insurance, but his actual post doesn't make sense. First, what sort of insurance does a pizza delivery guy have? From what I understand, those are part tine jobs with no insurance. Second, why would his insurance be turned away by a doctor? Public hospitals cannot turn away patients, even those without insurance.
    They didn't turn him away despite not having insurance they would accept. Thus the expensive medical expenses. As for not accepting it, generally the usual reason a hospital won't accept a particular insurance for emergency services involves a company of such ill reputation that medical facilities want nothing to do with them. Like Blink Health and their systematic ripping off of retail pharmacies that have led many like Walgreens to simply no longer accept them. It wouldn't be particularly surprising for me that someone so absolutely scathing of insurance would not have valid universally recognized health insurance, and instead be trying to get by on something shady like Blink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is what most likely happened:

He got into a car exident that is majority his fault, while on the job. The damage being on the front side of the car implies it was a lane change. This being his fault, is what negates workers compensation he would be entitled to. It would also hinder his car insurance, because my guess he doesn't have full collision. Then, it's not that his insurance got rejected, is that he doesn't want to go to a public hospital and then be stuck with a bill. He never had insurance... again, judging solely by his job, he doesn't pay the fine either.

This is a whole lot of his own damn fault. I don't care if people give him money, but there are better causes. Did you know there is no electricity in Puerto Rico at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    They didn't turn him away despite not having insurance they would accept. Thus the expensive medical expenses. As for not accepting it, generally the usual reason a hospital won't accept a particular insurance for emergency services involves a company of such ill reputation that medical facilities want nothing to do with them. Like Blink Health and their systematic ripping off of retail pharmacies that have led many like Walgreens to simply no longer accept them. It wouldn't be particularly surprising for me that someone so absolutely scathing of insurance would not have valid universally recognized health insurance, and instead be trying to get by on something shady like Blink.
    It doesn't mater, they would have to accept him anyway, regardless of his insurance:

https://www.acep.org/news-media-top-banner/emtala/
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Can we all just enjoy that personal responsibility is to set up a go fund me page?

They can't turn you away in a life threatening emergency, but they can refuse to accept your insurance. An insurance company usually negotiates payments with a hospital, and if the company and the hospital don't come to an agreement, the hospital will not accept any non-emergency patients from that insurance company, because that insurance company won't pay what the hospital considers a fair price. The insurance company also won't pay for any of their policy holder's claims at that hospital.

So the combination of the hospital not being allowed to refuse emergency patients, and the hospital refusing to accept insurance companies who won't pay the cost they want to charge, leaves you with instances of massive medical bills not being paid by your insurance company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is what most likely happened:

He got into a car exident that is majority his fault, while on the job. The damage being on the front side of the car implies it was a lane change. This being his fault, is what negates workers compensation he would be entitled to. It would also hinder his car insurance, because my guess he doesn't have full collision. Then, it's not that his insurance got rejected, is that he doesn't want to go to a public hospital and then be stuck with a bill. He never had insurance... again, judging solely by his job, he doesn't pay the fine either.

This is a whole lot of his own damn fault. I don't care if people give him money, but there are better causes. Did you know there is no electricity in Puerto Rico at all?

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't mater, they would have to accept him anyway, regardless of his insurance:

https://www.acep.org/news-media-top-banner/emtala/
    I never said they turned him away? Based on what he said ie that there is a bill from the hospital, they did accept him. A hospital does not require insurance to take someone in for emergency services. The difference is that there is a hefty medical bill afterwards.

Like I tell at least 10 patients every single day. A lack of insurance is not a problem of we cannot serve you. It is a matter of who foots the bill. If you don't have current insurance on you, the payment has to come from your end.