Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    The problem with this theory is when indie-developers come out and make a "triple aaaaaaaay game" that costs half the price it does from a major publisher for arguably the same quality if not better and similar content amount.
    Its not a theory its factual and proven with Math. Indie games don't cost nearly as much to make as AAA titles, Not even close.

Better a subjective argument and depending what you mean by higher quality that can be objective.

Witcher 3 is a AA game and cost 70 million to make, That is more then 90%+ of the games made in the 80's/90's and just one example.

Edit: Shit I'm wrong it cost 81 million.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3...llion-to-make/
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-09-20 at 04:11 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The problem with this theory is when indie-developers come out and make a "triple aaaaaaaay game" that costs half the price it does from a major publisher for arguably the same quality if not better and similar content amount.
    Examples?

Not to argue... more to note a few to check out. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Examples?

Not to argue... more to note a few to check out. XD
    Senua's Sacrifice comes immediately to mind.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Witcher 3 is a AA game and cost 70 million to make, That is more then 90%+ of the games made in the 80's/90's and just one example.
    Witcher also benefits from government assistance in financing. Poland's Prime Minister gifted Obama a copy of Witcher 2 during his visit! XD

- - - Updated - - -

Senua's Sacrifice comes immediately to mind.
    I've been curious about that since I first saw it on the cover of a Game Informer. I'll make a note to pick it up at some point!

Its not a theory its factual and proven with Math. Indie games don't cost nearly as much to make as AAA titles, Not even close.

Better a subjective argument and depending what you mean by higher quality that can be objective.

Edit: Shit I'm wrong it cost 81 million.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3...llion-to-make/
    The problem is, I don't give a fuck.

I'm not going to pay for something I know doesn't warrant the cost and the bullshit. I could care less if Battlefield, Call of Duty, and literally just about every EA, Ubisoft, and Activision game dried up overnight.

That'd actually be awesome for the rest of the industry!

Witcher also benefits from government assistance in financing. Poland's Prime Minister gifted Obama a copy of Witcher 2 during his visit! XD
    That it does but like I said that's just one example and not all others are as lucky.
    (Also I was wrong it was 81 million to make Witcher 3)

Like you even said Game development costs much more now. Would people be happy to spend $100+ and no optional DLC? I sure as hell wouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is, I don't give a fuck.
    And that's where this conversation ends, At lease you admit you was wrong about cost of development.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

I've been curious about that since I first saw it on the cover of a Game Informer. I'll make a note to pick it up at some point!
    Witcher 3 is another value for your buck.

Yes it WAS the traditional sixty dollars BUT it came with all the "micro-transactions" for free, hundreds of hours worth of awesome gameplay that blows anything Bethesda has done out of the water and only charged for the expansions which were actually meaty (particularly the last) and easily worth the extra cost if you so wished to have them.

- - - Updated - - -

That it does but like I said that's just one example and not all others are as lucky.
    (Also I was wrong it was 81 million to make Witcher 3)

Like you even said Game development costs much more now. Would people be happy to spend $100+ and no optional DLC? I sure as hell wouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's where this conversation ends, At lease you admit you was wrong about cost of development.
    Again, I really don't care. I think most developers/publishers need to go the way of the dinosaur.

Their blood-leeching ways aren't a warrant for the sorry shit they put out time after time.

I find it fascinating that the gaming industry is now old enough for the usual "old generation"-attitudes to spring up...

Vote with your wallets. It's not just "younger generations" fucking shit up. The same song you're singing in your OP, has been sung over and over in just about every single market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Its not the companies fault only, people are stupid, i see it everyday, i talk to them everyday.
    HAHAHA so true.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Again, I really don't care. I think most developers/publishers need to go the way of the dinosaur.

Their blood-leeching ways aren't a warrant for the sorry shit they put out time after time.
    Lets say they did, Lets say Activision,Ubisoft,EA and other ones you hate went away. You do realize these indies you praise would take there place, cost as much (if not more) and be riddled with DLC as well.

Lets say they did, Lets say Activision,Ubisoft,EA and other ones you hate went away. You do realize these indies you praise would take there price, cost as much (if not more) and be riddled with DLC as well.
    And when they do, as they do, they'll get the same treatment from me time and time again.

I had no issue paying 60 bucks for the newest DOOM. I had no issue buying Witcher 3 and all of its expansions. There are games worth the upfront cost and furthermore, worth extra investment for the quality of content they continue to provide.

Most publishers... barely if at all achieve the former and even more scarcely achieve the latter.

I had no issue paying 60 bucks for the newest DOOM.
    But the newest DOOM had MP DLC bullshit as well......

Its also made by the same parent company who is trying to sell mods, releases broken ass games and so on....

So you are supporting it by buying there other products...\

WB published Witcher 3, You are supporting them when you bought it.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least, someone sane!

I completely agree with you OP.

My biggest disappointment came from the Civilization franchise. They released a half (maybe not even half) game with 16 civs at the price of 60 euros, and they charge every new civ they add for 5 euros!!! If they don't include the new civs for free in future expansions, it will be the last time that I will play this franchise.

Generally, I have stopped playing game that charge for DLCs. And I never pre-order, any game. First I make sure the game is stable and playable, and then I buy it.

We, the customers, have our fate in our hands. If we stopped paying these retard companies, they will be forced to adopt techniques that respect us as customers.

Witcher 3 is another value for your buck.

Yes it WAS the traditional sixty dollars BUT it came with all the "micro-transactions" for free, hundreds of hours worth of awesome gameplay that blows anything Bethesda has done out of the water and only charged for the expansions which were actually meaty (particularly the last) and easily worth the extra cost if you so wished to have them.
    I really want to play all three rather than just the third. I have the first on PC, just need to put aside the time to play it and then the 2nd, then the 3rd. T_T

2 has the enhanced and 3 has the GotY now, so it'll happen eventually!

It's how you raised prices without raising prices.

A pizza is the same price as 10 years ago but now there is a "delivery fee"

I really want to play all three rather than just the third. I have the first on PC, just need to put aside the time to play it and then the 2nd, then the 3rd. T_T

2 has the enhanced and 3 has the GotY now, so it'll happen eventually!
    The combat of Witcher 1 is a fucken nightmare. I hate Witcher 2/3 but its combat is sooo much better.

The combat of Witcher 1 is a fucken nightmare. I hate Witcher 2/3 but its combat is sooo much better.
    I remember the Penny Arcade comic of Gabe struggling on the first or second fight, Tycho telling him what he's supposed to do.
    "How am I supposed to know that?" Gabe asked. "You just should" Tycho replies. XD

I remember the Penny Arcade comic of Gabe struggling on the first or second fight, Tycho telling him what he's supposed to do.
    "How am I supposed to know that?" Gabe asked. "You just should" Tycho replies. XD
    LOL never saw that one.

I still to this day say Witcher 3 is one of the best games ill likely never finish because of its Combat system. Sooner or later I may give it a go again tho. Didn't help that I started out on Deathmarch difficulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair point, MN9 didn't get the NMS level of attention on the big stage.

And I've been a mod for a couple years now. Started over in the Off Topic forum (heavy mod work there, much respect to the mods in that subforum) until I got a new job and needed to lighten the load. I'm a mod in the FFXIV forum now. Here in the Video Game Discussion forum, I'm just a poster like everyone else.... except that @Remilia You gotta watch that one! @_@
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Remilia is a spooky, confirmed.
    I do almost nothing D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Greetings champions. This is a small rant that I'll be making, so #1 - don't take things too seriously, 'cause I'm pissed off, #2, feel free to disagree/agree with me, #3 - I'd be grateful if you contribute with the thread with your opinion.

So, okay. Here it goes:

What the actual fuck is happening with our video-game industry? We're slowly melting into some kind of monster, made of money and greedyness. "Welcome to the real world, kiddo" is something that I hear all the time, but really? Are you okay with these kinds of stuff?

Since the last generation, the gaming market has been suffering from a lot of topics, some that I present below:

• Full games are being torn apart to be released in small chunks;
    • Expansion Packs became small DLC content that costs just as much;
    • Paid skins in free games became gambling microtransactions in PAID GAMES;
    • Don't even get me started in Season Passes (Paying for the "promise" of future content, that sometimes takes a long, long time to be released);
    • Triple-A games and companies going to Early Access;
    • EARLY FUCKING ACCESS;
    • Paying to participate in a Beta Game (Quake: Champions is an example of this);
    • Lack of creativity in the triple-A department, leading to that "Deja vu"(I've already played this!) feeling in various games;
    • Indie gaming suffering from a lot of problems as well (used to be a cool market, but greed is making it slowly degrade as well);
    • Kickstarter leading to a lot of failures and bad games;
    • Companies being shady as fuck (Warner Bros with the death of its employee;
    • Charging for MODS. MODS, for fuck sake.
    • Asset Flippers stealing games and assets to flood online stores with shitty games;

And much, much more. I understand that gaming isn't all bad nowadays, but we should not be having to thank developers if they choose to include "free content after launch" or if their PC port of game X runs well, as these kinds of thing should be expected to be there from the start! Again, I understand the old saying "Welcome to the real world, kid", but I disagree. We still have ways to vote against these kinds of bullshit - with our wallets.

Anyway. Thanks for reading, and sorry for the outrage. I hope you agree with me in some topics, and if you disagree, feel free to express your opinion. I'm all ears.
    The short answer IS "money"

Its significantly more complex than that though. Believe it or not the profit margin on a game is relatively low. Additionally the revenue period for games is really rough. The majority of ALL sales for a single game happen within 2 weeks of launch. TWO WEEKS.

That poses a significant cash management challenges.

A lot of what you mention are creative ways for developers to spread out periods of revenue, or increase revenue, at little or no additional cost to the developer. It also allows them to forecast and predict better for futures projects. The net result is that the developers who create the games you love, make smarter decisions, and stay in business longer... to make MORE of the games you love.

Let's also not pretend like gamers don't LOVE some of these things. You act as though you're dealing with nefarious people who just dangle scraps in front of you and never deliver any substance.

IF that is TRULY how you feel... find another hobby. When a restaurant changes a menu, increases prices, and quality and quantity drops... I stop eating there. If you feel a given title/franchise has stopped delivering what you have come to expect... stop supporting them. But, but, but... [NO! SHUTUP! this is how it works if you care enough STOP! If you're going to buy it regardless... then SHUT THE FUCK UP!]