Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Steven Spielberg just made a major film about an MMO starring Simon Pegg

I actually think this topic belongs in this forum. Does the concept sound like something youd see??
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

This belongs in Off-Topic

That said, it couldn't be worse than SAO, right?

I adore Simon Pegg. So, ya, I'd be happy with this.

Edit. You're talking about Ready Player One.
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/
    Last edited by Tock20; 2017-06-03 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    This belongs in Off-Topic

That said, it couldn't be worse than SAO, right?
    I decided it belongs here. I mean it might go in the film section, but then again if you put in there the people who are interested in MMOs might never see it and this is targeted at people who like MMOs. And the fact it is spielberg turns heads.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I decided it belongs here. I mean it might go in the film section, but then again if you put in there the people who are interested in MMOs might never see it and this is targeted at people who like MMOs.
    But it has absolutely nothing to do with World Of Warcraft. So no, this is not the proper forum for this thread. There's a section for movies, that's where this belongs. If you want people who are interested in MMOs to see it, put it in the gaming section. Not here.
    Last edited by mmoc4ce4b1614a; 2017-06-03 at 07:01 PM.

I decided it belongs here. I mean it might go in the film section, but then again if you put in there the people who are interested in MMOs might never see it and this is targeted at people who like MMOs. And the fact it is spielberg turns heads.
    Yea, no dog. You're wrong. This isn't about WoW, so it doesn't belong in the WoW forums.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    This has to do with WoW how exactly? It's a movie.

Deleted
    I actually think this topic belongs in this forum. Does the concept sound like something youd see??
    "World of Warcraft" -> "General Discussion"
    -Oh yeah, I know! This must be the right place to post my online liner about some Steven Spielberg movie!!1

..except it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    But it has absolutely nothing to do with World Of Warcraft. So no, this is not the proper forum for this thread. There's a section for movies, that's where this belongs.
    Like i said, its a tough call. Unique situation. But in the end, the target audience is actually in the general discussion forum and im really really interested to know what people who actively play wow think of this film.

Im hoping a couple of complaints dont get this thread moved.

Deleted
    Like i said, its a tough call.
    It's not about WoW.. how is that a tough call? What exactly are you smoking? (and can I have some as well?)

Deleted
    Like i said, its a tough call. Unique situation.
    Not at all.

Topic is about World Of Warcraft specifically, you put it in World Of Warcraft forums.
    Topic is about a movie that has nothing to do with World Of Warcraft, you put it in the movie forum.

Simple as that.

Thread relocated to Off-Topic -> Cinema.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by addlemanc View Post
    I adore Simon Pegg. So, ya, I'd be happy with this.

Edit. You're talking about Ready Player One.
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/
    It is a good book, some people sadly don't like that it has so many pop culture references. Honestly, can't wait to see the moving once it is out..

Though, cringe moment, the one playing iRock didn't even know his character existed in the book, he thought it was a filler role..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

IT's not based on a real MMO, that's the problem. Ready Player One is an okay book (it's "great" for gamers who stumble across a book, I guess), and it'll probably make an okay to good movie, but because it's not based on a real MMO, I wonder if MMO players will automatically want to go see it. I'd think it'd be more targeted at the people who read the book....which I guess are, in general, mostly gamers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    (it's "great" for gamers who stumble across a book, I guess)
    As a gamer who stumbled across this book... it's still not great, at BEST an alright read. The author takes WAY too much time patting himself on the back and seeing how many obscure references he can fit onto each page, and not nearly enough time writing a well paced story.

As far as that style of book goes, you'd be better of with anything written by William Gibson, or Neal Stephenson. But they're all WAY to in-depth to make into a film.

TV show maybe, but a film? Nah.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Well, my favorite book is by a Russian who's been dead for more than a hundred years, so I was trying to not be a literary snob.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm of the same mind as Eschatological: I found the book enjoyable but I wouldn't argue that its a literary masterpiece. It was a quick easy 2-3(maybe 4)hr read. I wasn't expecting much but found it to be quite worth the time to read.

I'm looking forward to the movie. I don't expect the movie to be a masterpiece but I'm hoping its as entertaining as I found the book.

*It's interesting to me how often I see the book knocked for the amount of pop culture references the author stacked into the book, in particular 70s/80s related references. The reason I picked up the book was due to those references. A group of co-workers were discussing the book over lunch. They had all enjoyed the book because of those references. A few examples were shared and that was enough to get me curious enough to order it. Important note: all of us are in our late 40s or early 50s and I have a feeling that may have a significant impact on enjoying the obscure references sprinkled through out the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    As a gamer who stumbled across this book... it's still not great, at BEST an alright read. The author takes WAY too much time patting himself on the back and seeing how many obscure references he can fit onto each page, and not nearly enough time writing a well paced story.
    Yeah, I'd heard a lot about the book before reading it, but even though I enjoy the genre, I didn't think it really "used" any of the 80s/gaming elements in a meaningful way. It could have just as easily been a novel about vampires with a 70s fixation if you just replaced the "cool references".

That being said, it'll prolly work pretty well for a movie. Its pretty light (all things considered) the shallow 80s/gaming references will seem to have more depth in a movie than the way they were shown in the book.

7+ Year Old Account
    Off Topic:
    For those that didn't like "Ready Player One" due to distractions presented by the author's enjoyment of using 70s/80s references in the book, if you haven't already, I recommend checking out "Daemon" by Leinad Zeraus(Daniel Suarez). As with "Ready Player One", I wouldn't argue that its a masterpiece of literary fiction. The story in "Daemon" reminds me a bit of the story in "Ready Player One" but "Daemon" is more sophisticated and has fewer elements that can distract from the overall story.