Heroic Kil'jaeden question

My guild first got to Heroic Kil'jaeden 2 weeks ago, but because we only raid 6 hours a week we haven't had much time to work on it. However, our first night of about an hour of attempts we consistently got into phase 2 without issue and even into the last phase once or twice. So this past week I expected us to down it because of this and planning to have a full raid night of 3 hours to work on it. Right away though we had issues, but not by our own doing. Our raid is small, typically around 12 people, with having 14 or 15 at most sometimes. We're a very lax guild, as I mentioned we only raid 6 hours and don't have strict attendance policies.

Both weeks we worked on KJ we had the same raid size of 12, though with different raid members. However, the first week we were consistently getting 3 meteors spawning with at most 4, while this past week we consistently got at least 4 meteors spawning and at times had 5. Note, I'm not including the tank meteors as those are irrelevant, I'm specifically talking about the regular magic damage meteors. With only an hour on our first week I'm slightly hesitant to assume it was a bug that we were getting so many our second week, but this seems a bit ridiculous. So my question is, is this normal for a 12 man raid to consistently get at least 4 meteors and at times get 5?

I ask because this drastically changed how difficult the fight was for us. We went from regularly getting thru the first phase and intermission as well as most of the second phase without a death to someone wiping by the time we were into phase 2. I mean, we were at a point where we were only working on how to transition into the second intermission because of the timing of adds and meteors on our first night, to not even getting that far into phase 2 our second night. Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by Stay Frosty; 2017-10-03 at 04:46 PM.

Different numbers of meteors spawn based on raid size.

14 and 19 people are cutoffs for more meteors. Under 14 you will get the same amount of Armageddon spawns each time.

I don't mean to be rude, but did you even read the post? I'm well aware that different raid sizes effect the number of meteors spawning, that's the entire point. And I'm sorry but no, that's not true that under 14 has the same amount of spawns every time. We've done it on normal and heroic with 12 or 13 people in the raid and despite our raid size not changing that night we have seen it change during attempts. On normal attempts we'd have 3 spawn every time during a single attempt while the next attempt we'll randomly get 4 spawning once or twice.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stay Frosty View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but did you even read the post? I'm well aware that different raid sizes effect the number of meteors spawning, that's the entire point. And I'm sorry but no, that's not true that under 14 has the same amount of spawns every time. We've done it on normal and heroic with 12 or 13 people in the raid and despite our raid size not changing that night we have seen it change during attempts. On normal attempts we'd have 3 spawn every time during a single attempt while the next attempt we'll randomly get 4 spawning once or twice.
    10 players will get you 3; 11 to 14 will get you 3 to 4; 15 to 19 will get you 4 to 5; 20+ will get you 5.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to highly doubt you got 5 with only 12 players, but I guess I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    10 players will get you 3; 11 to 14 will get you 3 to 4; 15 to 19 will get you 4 to 5; 20+ will get you 5.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to highly doubt you got 5 with only 12 players, but I guess I could be wrong.
    I don't blame you for not believing me but we twice got 5 meteors with only 12 people in raid. What concerned me more was how we were consistently getting 4 meteors on a regular basis with only 12 people.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't blame you for not believing me but we twice got 5 meteors with only 12 people in raid. What concerned me more was how we were consistently getting 4 meteors on a regular basis with only 12 people.
    Possibly a bug after they reduced the radius they can spawn? I don't go for our heroic trial runs anymore so I can't say for sure I guess. I would just recommend always running with 14 (2/3/9) and you will have enough for soaks without doubling up regardless. There are plenty of people in the group finder without aotc that would be willing to progress with you guys.

Coul be a bug with 5 but do you have logs? Could send a ticket but in the mean time just have ppl soak twice then, shouldnt be too bad with prydaz?

Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    Coul be a bug with 5 but do you have logs? Could send a ticket but in the mean time just have ppl soak twice then, shouldnt be too bad with prydaz?
    While its possible to do it, a guild just now progressing on KJ probably doesn't have the same throughput/coordination, and with getting 4 and then 5 it means all but one non-tank has a debuff at the same time. While this may have been intentional early on, with the nerfs its clearly a bug. Soft reset should fix it, but unfortunately that cuts into a sizable amount of their progression time.

Bug or not, I advise get a Rogue to soak twice then Cloak it. Get rid of all the trouble of having multiple stacks of dots.

Are you sure you got 5 actual *meteors*? I'm more inclined to believe 2 people stood in the same meteor so you got 5 debuffs, rather than the 4 you should have, and that you're just counting debuffs rather than spawns.

That being said, not like it matters either way. Even if 5 spawns every time with 12, you just have half the raid soak one wave, other half the next.

It's probably due to when you are pushing the phases these days. If KJ successfully casts meteor JUST before P2 would start, then he will immediately cast it again.

The timer on that resets between P1 and P2. If he casts in a row then no one will have had time to reset stacks. Then it's GG once the next meteor happens P2. I assume that's what's going on.