GEForce GTX 1060 Fan extremely loud during WoW

I built a computer about 4 months ago with the GEForce GTX 1060 Video Card.

I had 0 problems with fan noise for 3 months and then a few weeks ago my fan became extremely loud while the game was running. When i would hearth or load a dungeon the fan would become quite while there was a loading screen.

I started the game and opened up my case and slowly pressed on my different fans to test noise and that is how I narrowed it down to the graphics card. Any solutions to this? All my fans are stock.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($217.55 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($86.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($71.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($168.89 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Thanks.

Kinda depends on the noise. Is it clunking around, or just really loud spinning noise and wind? I used to have one of my 3 fans on my graphics card blocked by something so the other 2 fans were spinning double time and it was really loud.

For what it's worth i had a similar problem with my Asus Strix 1080 were the fans began to be super loud like 100% fanspeed for 20 seconds every 5-10 minutes when playing a demanding game.

I found my solution in taking of the Fan Shroud from the card (the plastic/metal body on the front side) and i saw that the shroud was pressing hard on the cable that connected the middle one of my 3 fans on the card and it produced a shorting in the flow of the electricity, so i repositioned the cable so that there is no shorting anymore between the shroud and the card.

Problem was that the shortcut would not let the middle fan operate normal so the 2 other fans had to spin on 100% capacity to cool the card.

And she was super quiet since then, and the fans are operating normal, but you know different manufacturer and different model of a card also you will lose the warranty that way

I also googled for you for "EVGA 1060 Loud Fan" and people on various forums were talking about bios updates for the card maybe you should look into that.
    Last edited by Lorianus; 2017-10-18 at 08:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I had a customer with an identical issue with the MSI Gaming X variant of the GTX 1060.

Turns out his 2nd fan stopped spinning, it wasn't caught on anything or simply looked like the fan motor had issues starting up with voltages and got stuck on off mode as high voltages or manual 100% fan speed would not kick it in action.
    If the fan was tapped a couple times in the center or gave a whirl it would actually start to spin again and work for a while again until re-appearing.

Should this be the case for you as well (take a look if the fans are spinning when they are loud) and only 1 spins and the rest don't then you have the same motor issue.
    This is not really end-user fixable (technically it is but most companies will void your warranty for doing so) and you'll have to apply for RMA.

Check it and let us know.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I had a customer with an identical issue with the MSI Gaming X variant of the GTX 1060.

Turns out his 2nd fan stopped spinning, it wasn't caught on anything or simply looked like the fan motor had issues starting up with voltages and got stuck on off mode as high voltages or manual 100% fan speed would not kick it in action.
    If the fan was tapped a couple times in the center or gave a whirl it would actually start to spin again and work for a while again until re-appearing.

Should this be the case for you as well (take a look if the fans are spinning when they are loud) and only 1 spins and the rest don't then you have the same motor issue.
    This is not really end-user fixable (technically it is but most companies will void your warranty for doing so) and you'll have to apply for RMA.

Check it and let us know.
    Are there 2 fans on the graphics card?

Side note: It's fan speed as when I stop the fan the noise goes away. I've got a Power supply fan that works fine, a fan on top of my CPU that is a little loud but nothing that is an issue, a case fan that runs at a clock speed, and then a fan near my hard drive. All are working.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing that is weird is that they were all working fine for 3 months and then all of a sudden the graphics card fan got loud. I didnt move or change anything.

what temp is the gpu hitting and what % are the fans getting noisy at?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz1126 View Post
    Are there 2 fans on the graphics card?

Side note: It's fan speed as when I stop the fan the noise goes away. I've got a Power supply fan that works fine, a fan on top of my CPU that is a little loud but nothing that is an issue, a case fan that runs at a clock speed, and then a fan near my hard drive. All are working.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing that is weird is that they were all working fine for 3 months and then all of a sudden the graphics card fan got loud. I didnt move or change anything.
    I didn't know it was a single fan variant that you had and instead of answering like a smart arse you could've just stated it was a single fan variant.
    As there are 2 other versions with similar names in the EVGA product range that actually do have 2 fans (SSC/SSC2).

Regardless ... have you installed a software such as MSI Afterburner or similar and accidentally ticked on manual fan curve instead of automatic?
    And what are the temperatures like when you're putting load on the graphics card? (not physical load of course)
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I didn't know it was a single fan variant that you had and instead of answering like a smart arse you could've just stated it was a single fan variant.
    As there are 2 other versions with similar names in the EVGA product range that actually do have 2 fans (SSC/SSC2).

Regardless ... have you installed a software such as MSI Afterburner or similar and accidentally ticked on manual fan curve instead of automatic?
    And what are the temperatures like when you're putting load on the graphics card? (not physical load of course)
    I wasnt acting like a smartass it was a legit question. I'm sorry you read it that way.

i'm working on getting the temperatures. I'm not sure how so i'm reading about it. Will update soon. Thank yall for the help.