Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account

Build a new computer or buy an Alienware.

So the Budget is 2,000$
    I currently only play MMO's but would love to get back into FPS's. I do not do any streaming or design stuff. I just play games. Id like to play on max settings or as close to as possible.
    Now keep in mind i have never built a computer.
    I was looking at this months Build of The Month (unicorn), would this be a good build for me? what would you change?
    Or i could just go with the 1500$ Alienware on dells website (i know, ive heard they are a ripoff)
    i kinda dont know what im doing. Any info would be helpful. Thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apc1178 View Post
    So the Budget is 2,000$
    I currently only play MMO's but would love to get back into FPS's. I do not do any streaming or design stuff. I just play games. Id like to play on max settings or as close to as possible.
    Now keep in mind i have never built a computer.
    I was looking at this months Build of The Month (unicorn), would this be a good build for me? what would you change?
    Or i could just go with the 1500$ Alienware on dells website (i know, ive heard they are a ripoff)
    i kinda dont know what im doing. Any info would be helpful. Thank you
    Ordinarily i would be the guy who says "yeah, go ahead and build one, you can probably do better than the store with hardware", but.....

in todays gaming PC world, Hardware is a bit more complicated, things can (and sometimes do) go wrong, and not having any experience with building, troubleshooting and maintaining a home-built machine makes me want to steer you to a pre-built, and for some other reasons too. for example:
    1.) when you buy a pre-built, 99.9% of the time you get an Operating System and some(times) useful software pre-configured and installed for you.
    2.) almost every reputable manufacturer of gaming PCs offer repair/replace service should you have major problems, this is important because should you have motherboard or other issues, it can be weeks, or even months before you are up and running again (vendor replacement issues and whatnot)
    3.) time - with no experience, you are going to be fumbling with that box for a good while, and even if you build it right, there is no guarantee it will start up error-free, cause Windows, and other things...whereas the PC you just bought is basically plug-n-play with no headaches

if it helps you, i did NOT build my newest PC, i bought it from IBuyPower and couldn't be happier
    Last edited by Wramp; 2017-11-23 at 07:07 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    Thank you Any recomendations on a prebuilt?

10+ Year Old Account
    see my Edit above for my personal choice, but there are several great companies (Velocity, Falcon NW, MSI, Origin, IBuyPower) to choose from, my honest, no BS suggestion is to be patient, read reviews and watch videos on youtube about different machines and manufacturers, then wait for the Christmas bargains to appear (or even better, the post christmas sales) because you can probably get a really nice PC for pretty cheap (under 1200) if you look hard enough.

Deleted
    Alienware is overpriced and seems to have been out of touch for a while - and frankly - overkill.

Google the local computer joints in your area and see what they have for high end builds before you do anything else.
    Most of them probably have prebuilt setups or will assemble a rig for you. For 2 grand, if you don't need a monitor, you could get a killer system. Pretty close to killer if you do need a monitor to keep up with it.

Edit. Don't build on your own if you don't know what you're doing. It's easy to mess up and be hundreds in the hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if anyone suggests Ryzen, tell them to fuck right off.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Buy the components separately and pay someone who knows what they are doing $50 to put it together or do as @manbeartruck said and scout local hardware shops and compare. You're guaranteed to save money.

I would never in my life recommend a branded prebuilt system unless you enjoy throwing money away.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    So i have found someone who can build my PC for me, now what should i put in it? This months unicorn build? or is there something you would change since it will be strictly for Gaming? no streaming or design stuff.
    Last edited by Apc1178; 2017-11-24 at 07:44 AM.

Go to Ibuypower and save yourself the stress and time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Apc1178 View Post
    So i have found someone who can build my PC for me, now what should i put in it? This months unicorn build? or is there something you would change since it will be strictly for Gaming? no streaming or design stuff.
    Dude. Save the trouble. Here you go. https://www.ibuypower.com/
    They even have stuff on sale today.

I'd research and watch guides about building your own pc (both pros and cons). Then decided if you want to build or buy. If you build, it will be a better machine and cheaper.

Please dont buy Alienware or use the MMO-Champ builds, they are complete garbage and should be avoided.