Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Maxing Professions out!! takeing way to long

Hi guys,

Is it just me thinking that wow professions taking way to long to max out ?

i mean im a BS which requires 800 knowledge points, i mean getting 11 points per week roughly as a casual player .

I can play 3 hours a day and some days less or more, saying this knowing dragon shards are somewhat uncapped but the drop rate right?

I dont think it should take me upto 54 weeks of grinding just for maxing out the professions.

Am i the onlyone that thinks this is somewhat rediculous ?

Thanks guys (first post )

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerdad2017 View Post
    Hi guys,

i mean im a BS which requires 800 knowledge points, i mean getting 11 points per week roughly as a casual player .

I can play 3 hours a day and some days less or more, saying this knowing dragon shards are somewhat uncapped but the drop rate right?

I dont think it should take me upto 54 weeks of grinding just for maxing out the professions.

Its at least twice the time soak it should be.

I mean on one hand the system is designed so that you really don't HAVE to max the professions out and hell at the very least its a bit more nuanced and interesting than "Make 50 green things till bar go full"

but on the other hand blizz has conditioned a good chunk of the player base to "Fill bar=you win game" and now filling bar is harder to do so I can absolutely understand being annoying.

It seems that professions were built so that folks who spent some time in Beta and knew the systems could work extra hard on it and so got a significant lead on everybody else, at least in terms of money er gold.

Yep. Another reason professions in Dragonflight are garbage. I just leveled Leatherworking in Classic, and it's just so satisfying compared to retail.

As an enchanter, only in Retail do I buy enchants on the AH, instead of enchanting my gear. It's insane. In Classic it's so satisfying getting a new piece of gear and being able to enchant it myself.

the rich get richer kinda situation right

They came up with a fantastic idea, then screwed it over with item ranks, and focusing everything around the damn crafting orders.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the current system is flawed, but much better than everyone being able to craft everything themselves. Hopefully they'll correct some things and build on what's good.

the rich get richer kinda situation right
    In Shadowlands the barrier to entry to make stupid amounts of gold was to already have stupid amounts of gold to invest and learn all legendaries max rank.

Dragonflights barrier is time spent over months and months. And you have to sit in trade chat to sell.

Current solution is better imo, could be improved obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi guys,

I mean if you started from Day 1 of expansion then no. Then again for newer players (or players with a late start) sure it can be slower.

That seems off? Have you crafted everything you have recipes for? You do know about First Craft bonus right? Also have you found the profession masters? Also profession treasures? Did you know about the skill ups you can buy from Valdrakken vendors and also Zaralek Cavern vendors?
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Professions are the best that they've ever been, there's nothing wrong with something in an MMO taking awhile to max out. Also, you're able to max out gear months before you have all specializations maxed out, so I don't see the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a lot of cases "maxing out the profession" isn't really a worthwhile time investment.

For example; you used Blacksmithing.
    With sufficient points in some of the adjacent "talents", maxing out the various armour types is really pointless, as you can craft any of them with 5* quality, max ilvl, and the only contingent factor is getting an inspiration proc which, fully geared and with the correct points, is in the ballpark of 50%. (And can be rerolled with silver quality mats, which makes rerolls cost next kin to nothing.)

If you're doing it for completionism's sake, then it shouldn't matter how long you have to spend to max it out, as you are not doing something for efficiency's sake but for off-design purposes.

Otherwise, you are wasting your time maxing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    I mean if you started from Day 1 of expansion then no. Then again for newer players (or players with a late start) sure it can be slower.

That seems off? Have you crafted everything you have recipes for? You do know about First Craft bonus right? Also have you found the profession masters? Also profession treasures? Did you know about the skill ups you can buy from Valdrakken vendors and also Zaralek Cavern vendors?
    ofcourse i do know that, but after cos most of those are a 1 time thing to buy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Professions are the best that they've ever been, there's nothing wrong with something in an MMO taking awhile to max out. Also, you're able to max out gear months before you have all specializations maxed out, so I don't see the problem.
    But why would they make a game claiming that its casual friendly!

Getting to a 440 ilvl can be done in a week as a casual, getting your professions to max takes over 1year to do as a casual.

It doesnt add up.

Dont get me wrong working for something is fine, but its taking so long poeple ( in this case me ) loose some what of there intrest into the game.
    I mean for alts there is a catch up system for sparks, renown ranks, increased cap for crests etc.

As a returning player to the game this feels off.

ofcourse i do know that, but after cos most of those are a 1 time thing to buy

- - - Updated - - -

But why would they make a game claiming that its casual friendly!

Getting to a 440 ilvl can be done in a week as a casual, getting your professions to max takes over 1year to do as a casual.

It doesnt add up.

Dont get me wrong working for something is fine, but its taking so long poeple ( in this case me ) loose some what of there intrest into the game.
    I mean for alts there is a catch up system for sparks, renown ranks, increased cap for crests etc.

As a returning player to the game this feels off.
    There's multiple facets of the game. Pet battles are casual friendly whereas mythic raiding is less so. Making a 447 weapon is pretty casual friendly in comparison to maxing out all four branches of blacksmithing. I'm two weeks away from finishing blacksmithing myself and the only time I've ever had to make any meaningful choice is at the beginning when I decided if I wanted to focus on armor or weapons.

Im just kinda tired of retail wow and one of the reasons is professions. It just seems so convoluted and annoying. Cant be bothered anymore I guess. Greets a dude that milked the AH since wotlk...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Hi guys,

You don't need to max the profession. I went full weapons on my BS alt and the other trees and now working on armor into shields. Realistically even on my main I'm almost capped in LW/Skinning(skinning is capped) and I missed a couple months and didn't max out sources every week even when I wasn't playing. The bigger problem is most of the high demand stuff are rare drops with a few lucky naturally learned spattered in there. LW, for example, the 4 boots are some of the biggest draws and are rare drops in BH. The points needed to be proficient in them are actually reasonably low on the upside.

There's also a TON of one time chunks of knowledge and then weekly capping should take about an hour or less for non gatherers.

Absolutely love the new profession system as a whole. Some professions got a bit shafted, but that happens every expansion anyway.

That said, it sure takes a long time to get full knowledge, but i didn't mind it. It's not essential (you can quickly and easily specialize in some aspect of your tradeskill), and it's something to work towards. My main chars only got their profession knowledge maxed out a couple of months ago, but i already did everything i needed a long, long while before that.

The only professions i kinda 'ignored' when farming knowledge were gatherers. Simply took way too long.

It does not take 54 weeks to fill up the 800 points. You get about 214 points from first crafts (~100), renown (20), books (50), treasures (30) and secret trainer (10) and 4 free Dragon Shards. If you don’t count the expensive paterns it is about 200 points. That leaves 600 points that needs ro be earned weekly. Each week you can get 15 knowledge points. While playing you’ll also gather Dragon Shards. You probably find 3 per week if you just play and don’t farm them. So that’s 18 per week. Every month DMF will add 3 knowledge points if you complete the simple quest.

So on average you should be getting 18.66 points per week. That means it will take about 32 weeks, and not 54. I started my Blacksmith in March, I’d say about week 10. It’s now week 39, and after 30 weeks I’m 40 points shy of fully maxing out Blacksmithing.

So much profession to do so much to do.. only little time.. Nah, i let it go and do something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, it's supposed to be an expansion long system which actually has been turned into a 2 season long system. In fact, I'm at the point now where I'm not even sure what to use knowledge points for now that all the branches are "maxed" out.

What's really bothersome is that for some professions can't reliably make max ranked stuff with T3 mats without inspiration procs. For instance, Alchemy still can't reliably make T3 phials and pots (specifically Ultimate Power and Elemental Chaos) even with T3 mats.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.