Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best professions for Ret Raiding?

Any one crunched numbers on this yet?

Many professions have received profession only buffs. I used to think that Enchanting/Leatherworking was best to go. Now I'm not so sure. Enlighten me please!

Re: Best professions for Ret Raiding?

Im going on a hunch here but I believe JC/BS will be the best once we see all the WotLK patterns. Prismatic gems, adding sockets to your gear, using meta's in normal gem sockets..... and theres quite a buzz that the professions guy was pretty frustrated that noone chose armor smithing so I'd wager there will be some amazing amor smith patterns.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Im worried that JC will have a more diminshed effect at 80 when WOTLK epic gem patterns are out. IN TBC when epic gems came out, they equaled the JC only gems. I remember reading that a blacksmith could add xtra sockets to glove and wrist so that definitely ups its value as a raid skill .

Yet, LW have a new LW only wrist patch that looks to be quite OP. Any other comments on this confusion?

Don't forget alchemy.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=53042
    Up to a 50% increased effect and duration on flasks/elixirs you make

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=44324
    50 Crit Rating and 100 AP

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=44728 Can be used in arena's, the 3 min CD is irrelevant in raiding because of Potion Sickness, and you only have to make 1, ever.

Combine that with LW, BS, or JC, and you've got a pretty sweet pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by demaury
    Im worried that JC will have a more diminshed effect at 80 when WOTLK epic gem patterns are out. IN TBC when epic gems came out, they equaled the JC only gems. I remember reading that a blacksmith could add xtra sockets to glove and wrist so that definitely ups its value as a raid skill .

Yet, LW have a new LW only wrist patch that looks to be quite OP. Any other comments on this confusion?
    Sure epic gems will come close to the jc only cuts, but you wont be able to buy prismtics, or socket metas in regular gem slots. Also some of the jc patters IE 26 healing off a blue gem hasnt yet been achieved in any epic gem cut.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Munk... you have 3 different ret paladins all on the same faction/server. Why?

OP: Enchanter ring enchants seem to be a perennial favorite for raiding min/maxers.

Ive got shorter versions in about 3 other threads but this is probably the most complete answer to the question why.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=18345.45

Yes enchanting was generally one of the main min/max profs but from what i've seen jc/bs should complement each other quite well in WotLK and that makes me excited.

Why not Engineering.

Portable repair bots.
    - How many raids have been delayed for decent lengths of time because someone had to go and repair?
    Portable Mailboxes.
    - "Alright, I'll mail it to you. Don't let me forget eh?"
    Possibility for portable Auction House?! (Read a rumor on that one)
    - This would just rock. Need those (insert X mat here) for (insert X item here), and you don't have them?

There's a load of utility right there. Along with everything else that comes with a Ret paladin now.

Grenades can bring all important interupts if absolutely necessary.

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons... oh and rocket gloves. :P
    "My rage bar is blue, and I start the fight pissed!" - Battlecry of the Ret Paladin.
    "The best defense is a good offense." - Motto of the Ret Paladin.
    River Below - Billy Talent - Theme Song of the Ret Paladin.

DK Death Strike Tanking
    The Power of Avoidance! - DK Tank Required Reading
    DK AP Coefficients
    DK Threat Values

Aurich von Deathstrike

Quote Originally Posted by Munk
    Im going on a hunch here but I believe JC/BS will be the best once we see all the WotLK patterns. Prismatic gems, adding sockets to your gear, using meta's in normal gem sockets..... and theres quite a buzz that the professions guy was pretty frustrated that noone chose armor smithing so I'd wager there will be some amazing amor smith patterns.

i thought only bs could ass a gem socket not jc's if we can man that'll be awesome, um for passive abilities skinning gives crit, really nice for ret.

i would say enchanting / and inscription or leatherworking for drums

BS is a bit useless for a raiding paladin as you get your gear from trash/boss drops anyway

JC not really convinced as you can just get the gems from your guild
    --------------------------------------------

why inscription/LW and enchanting
    enchanting for the ring enchants and inscription to modify your dps
    same as drums wich take care of your dps

The proffs for raid min/maxing have been diminished somewhat as now every proff (including gathering) gets you some buff.

Personally, I rolled BS/enchanting, not for ret specifically, but for paladins all around it's a good combo. The wrist enchants for LW are pretty solid but I would take another meta slot over that any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Val3rim
    i would say enchanting / and inscription or leatherworking for drums

BS is a bit useless for a raiding paladin as you get your gear from trash/boss drops anyway

JC not really convinced as you can just get the gems from your guild
    --------------------------------------------

why inscription/LW and enchanting
    enchanting for the ring enchants and inscription to modify your dps
    same as drums wich take care of your dps
    Yup because all of the end-game bs patterns have been released right?

Armoursmith/Mining on my Paladin,

Jewelcrafting/Mining on my alt DK.

Best set up imo. More gem slots needs more gems. Two miners means more titanium and titansteel smelting per day. More mats, more armour and weapons made pregearing for naxx.

Gems will always be useful, jewelcrafthing therefore will still to be a source of income and resource for yourself and your guild.

Win/win.

Armoury Link

Nil desperandum! Always follow the Light

Just to clarify, are we talking about raid min/maxing or our personal opinions on what proffs we have?

Will probably stick to my Mining/Blacksmithing because of the new gem sockets and the new weapon and armour recipes which will most probably dominate like it happened at TBC. Having Alchemy instead of mining will be cool too but prices for new mats will go off the roof after the release of wotlk so i'll better lvl up BS on my own and make some gold on the way.
    YOU FACE NOT MALCHEZAR ALONE, BUT THE LEGIONS I COMMAND!

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Just to clarify, are we talking about raid min/maxing or our personal opinions on what proffs we have?
    raid min/maxing

Lots of responses and I thank you for each one. Lets try to stick on topic though - looking for the best proffs for ret raiding. By that I mean what proffs are going to increase ret dps? I could care less about utility; rets won't be invited to raids for their "utility" - it will be for their nice dps.

So theorycrafters start crunching your numbers and max our raid dps. And when you figure it out post here!

As to the posters thinking BS will be the way to go; I tend to disagree. I was blessed enough to clear Sunwell and granted there are 1 or 2 usuable patterns within the zone; however trash/boss loots appear to be better generally and I would expect the same in lvl 80 raid zones.

That being said still looks like Enchant/LW is the way to go. If any can provide some numbers how the bop tailoring cloak enchant and how it stacks up with other proffs all posters will appreciate it.

You go BS for the personal socketing of your own armor, not for the BOP armor you can make.

Also, Ret is a spec of a hybrid class, the Paladin. They're not brought for their leet dps, they're brought for their auras, their blessings, and their ability to refresh all judgments, which helps out any other pallys in the raid. They ARE brought for their utility. Not their dps. Right now they may be doing more dps then anyone else, but I can assure this is not working as intended, and will be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    You go BS for the personal socketing of your own armor, not for the BOP armor you can make.

Also, Ret is a spec of a hybrid class, the Paladin. They're not brought for their leet dps, they're brought for their auras, their blessings, and their ability to refresh all judgments, which helps out any other pallys in the raid. They ARE brought for their utility. Not their dps. Right now they may be doing more dps then anyone else, but I can assure this is not working as intended, and will be fixed.
    The personal socketing doesn't blow me away.

And the devs have stated over and over again they want ret to compete for top dps. Call it a pay off for having been the crappiest class since release dps wise. The distinction between hybrid and pure dps is disappearing in WOTLK. Granted they WERE brought in for utility in TBC; I can assure you this won't be the case in WOTLK.

Besides the point - back to min/maxing plz!

Compete. As in almost at the top, but not at the top. Still 15% below a pure dps class like rogue or mage. That is their current design philosophy. (Well actually, its always been their philosophy, it just hasn't worked out that way. WOTLK looks like it will make it happen though).

Back to min/maxing. For any class in the game, enchanting/BS will be the way to go. Ring enchants and meta gems ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    Compete. As in almost at the top, but not at the top. Still 15% below a pure dps class like rogue or mage. That is their current design philosophy. (Well actually, its always been their philosophy, it just hasn't worked out that way. WOTLK looks like it will make it happen though).

Back to min/maxing. For any class in the game, enchanting/BS will be the way to go. Ring enchants and meta gems ftw.
    I'm confused slighty - perhaps i put too much faith in a previous post I read. I was under the impression that a blacksmith can add sockets to gear; a JC can add meta gems to a normal socket.

Is it the BS that adds Meta sockets ...or the JC that can socket metas in normal socket? Plz clarify DruidFTW if you dont mind.