Are there more or less "accepted" tanking specs yet?

specifically for unholy, been searching around and i cant find anything consistent. Everywhere i look i just see 10 posts with 10 very different builds. If there isn't a set spec yet, are there at least a set group of talents that you MUST have?

another question, a lot of the 1 point talents don't seem to great if tanking is your only concern, like mast of ghouls, gargoyle, maybe even scourge strike if you take the oblit talent in frost, but because they are great for just 1 point, do u take them anyway?

just a lot of meh talents to choose from so its really confusing for me to settle on a build =/

Re: Are there more or less "accepted" tanking specs yet?

The things you must have for an unholy tank are blade barrier out of blood, frost tree to lichborne (extra cooldown is great!), anticipation in unholy, and bone armor. The rest of the tree is all about what you want to do, and maximizing your damage since the more damage a dk does, the more threat he gains.

clicky for armory

There are no cookiecutter builds...

Get Toughness, Lichborne, Anticipation and Blade Barrier. Put the rest where you want it.
    Though make sure you have Reaping, it's very useful.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Blizz has gone to great efforts (so they say) to get rid of the essential cookie cutter build. Some talents are a must have others come down to how you can and want to play. DK has 3 viable tank trees (I am sure there will be arguments on this though) some suited to certain situations. no other class has that so I am sure there will be a wild spread on tank builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubjub View Post
    This is like saying "I was running along the motorway eating a banana and was hit by a car. Just wondering if anyone else had problems with being hit by a car while eating bananas?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wind View Post
    i like the trix yogurt vomit bat. He is EPIC

In this case, if anyone has gone through the tank-craft spreadsheets, there is one accepted build including bone shield (really... unbreakable armor and vampiric blood are a bit inferior), lichborne and bladed armor. It is currently the "accepted" build amongst most tanking community but I mean... frost does well too but unholy with bone shield and lichborne has more mitigation, TPS and aoe capability so... why look the other way?

Oh and if you must know why bone shield is accepted in tanking although not very nice during lvling... is because DKs currently are focusing more on avoidance and the bone shields can be up almost all the time instead of the timed 20sec/1min.

Blizzard has stated that they are trying to change it so that we're not "just an avoidance tank that gets pwned by RNG"

UBA is definitely not as good as bone armor in pure mitigation, but it is nice glyphed for the parry. Also that talent that sits directly below UBA called guile of gorefiend is very nice as well as it's a 50% increase in time to IBF, your best mitigation cd out of all of them.

clicky for armory

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000
    i have main tanked everything we have access to so far with this spec (10/25 included) i do like the bone shield spec but i prefer this spec b/c it can aoe tank just fine without DnD and it has amazing single target threat with 3 oh snap buttons (icebound fortitude((that has 6sec added onto it)) unbreakable armor, and lichborne.) this spec is also less stressful imo

UBA + IF are no "oh shit buttons" they should be part of your regular rotation (that's why there is a 60s CD) the only "oh shit button" is lichborne (miss chance also works when being stunned etc. e.g. great at fights like Maexxna when wrapped during enrage)

I'm fine with http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=170411040506

Could tank anything currently ingame without mayor issues, whith my current gear Bone Shield is up about 20-30s, so when I get my fourth T7 I'll be at about 82% average Mitigation each minute with near 70% Avoidance.

i just reached the def cap yesterday and started tanking heroics, all went well with this build

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=000000000000

tough with upcoming DK changes i might just drop lich and go

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=170411050403

Blood seems to be lacking the most deep-tree tanking talents, but Frost and Unholy both have very attractive abilities in the lower and higher trees. Once you pick up the basics (the tier-1 tanking talents) then going either deep frost, deep unholy or a mix is viable.

Frost gives you:
    Lichborne (low enough to be able to pick it up with a deeper unholy build), another cooldown.
    6 extra seconds on Icebound Fortitude, meaning you can have it active for almost 1/3 of the total fight.
    Unbreakable Armor, not amazing but still very worth the talent point investment, and also on a 1 minute cooldown.
    A resistance aura equal to your level.

Unholy gives you:
    Magic Supression, -5% damage from magic attacks, and better defence on Anti-Magic Shell
    Anti-Magic Zone, an amazing magical damage mitigation ability for your entire group.
    Bone Armor, almost as good as Icebound Fortitude, and with a one minute cooldown.

Those are the more powerful tanking tools each tree has, there are a number of different abilities that you can pick up to further increase your tanking abilities, like Frigid Breastplate, Acclimation, Unholy Command, ect. Keep in mind these are just the defensive tanking abilities, there are also the offensive tanking skills in each tree which should also affect your decision.

In any case, finding the spec that you find the most interesting and comfortable tanking with is more important than simply following a guide to the "Best Build", so try a few different ones out.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.