1st boss in Heroic Gun'Drak

Ok so I was running Heroic Gun'Drak last night and the first boss was giving us major problems. I guess the water trick people use to use got hotfixed so we decided to tank him on the stairs with the healer on the balcony. Everyone would run out of nova then back in that wasn't the problem the problem was the snakes would either wrap me up (tank) or the Healer and by the time ppl got us out it was a bad situation any suggestions on how to do this fight?

turkeyspit

Re: 1st boss in Heroic Gun'Drak

I ran it yesterday on the bonepile with no problems. The Cobras were able to make to us, but not the green snakes that coil you up.

As a DK tank, I pull him to the spot right below where the snakes drop. This way I can catch them before the healer gets hit at all.

As for the wrapping... I've never once been wrapped. Maybe you need better DPS with your group?

I did this boss last night with 1 Resto Druid, 1 Rogue, 2 Fury War and me, Prot war. The healer died on the nova thing and we just 4m dps him xD idk the best strat for this guy, yet ;I

umm, basicly have the healer stack on the tank, make him run with the rest of the dps out of the poison nova, this way the tank will keep all mobs away from the healer at all times, keep vent clear, or keep your eyes open and hit the person getting wrapped. if its the tank, he does not loose aggro, if its the healer, the tank can hold a couple of seconds till dps gets him out, if its a dps, eeh i guess u could let him die and win the fight.

So, it wasn't just me wiping on this boss over and over again with all the melee. Blizzard "fixed" the encounter with regards to the water strat.

We've been downing this boss for the last couple weeks since we dinged and never had any issues, last night was the first time we wiped on him, 3 times.

Here's what we did that worked perfectly. Tanked him by the door, had the healer in the water, when he started casting, everyone jumps in water and dives. I can take a few shots, the snakes are aggroed to the healer and evade bug. Rinse and Repeat. Almost like Lurker fight in which everyone jumps down for Spout. No damage taken when under water.

BTW, we had no range DPS, Enchanced Shaman, DK, Rogue and Warrior Tank with Resto Shaman. I'll tell you this, with this setup the 2nd boss is a pain as well when he goes to elemental phase.

aah cmon, content is already easy as it is, go with how the game is intended and learn to kill the boss how he should be killed.

Kill the snake wraps. It's not hard.

We had similar problems - mage, two ret pallies, resto druid, warrior tank. We wiped many times and couldn't keep the adds down. We tanked the boss in several locations, on the stairs, in the doorway near the water, in the middle of the room, etc., and DPS'd him down until the adds came. When the snakes came, we haven't found an effective way to kill the fast enough, or keep them from the healer. When we DPS'd the adds, we had to deal with the snake wraps. We also tried the water trick which was an epic fail after they hot-patched the issue. I'd love to hear more about this battle because there doesn't seem to be a clear strategy since the hotfix.

I've never had a problem, when I dps'ed this fight, as enhance, since my groups have always been relatively high on their dps. Plus, I always help the healer by spamming poison cleanse and off-healing, when I get 5 MW stacks. Nature resist totem helps, also.

Last night, I healed it, as enhance, in my resto/elem gear. That was a beast, but we did it, by having the tank keep the boss up top, while we were all at the bottom. It helped that the dps was all ranged, so they didn't get hit by the poison nova. I just healed the tank through it, basically, while popping poison cleanse when I could.

ok well I did this boss as a paly healer. we had a rogue hunter and mage DPS and a paly tank. how we did it was the pally tanked in the door next to the water with the range dps in the water and the rogue having to duck in and out on nova. I was up on the ramp that leads down from the entrance which meant the snakes had to go a long way around to get me. The tank (as a paly with consecration) got almost all the snakes as they came through the door but the few that he missed he was able to taunt away fast enough it wasn't a problem. Also its not that hard to heal the tank through a wrap as long as you don't get an unlucky nova at the same time.
    To increase knowledge is to increase sorrow

That one gave us a hard time.. Protwarri, Enhancer, Unholy-DK, Feral and a Restodruid. We tried every tactic you guys mentioned - the waterjumping seems to be fixed by now.
    We got him down by brutal froce, shaman-ele, army of the dead, heroism etc, even stayed in the second nova. Was a close kill, though.

15+ Year Old Account

water jumping "abuse" may be fixed - line of sight / range of poison nova is not.

We ran just this evening gundrak hc - thats the way we did it:
    tank the boss exactly under the doorway arch (~10-15y from the water away). range classes stand just in the middle of the water. Boss stands between range and tank => melee stands between boss and range
    (see this little picture made in 1 minute per mspaint. My drawing skills are not great, but you should understand what I mean :P )

just nuke him down, if he's going to cast poison nova (4 sec casttime, btw), melee should just jump right into the water AND DIVE DOWN, all range (healer too) shold swim backwards to the wall. after he's done, range back into the middle of the water, melee back to the boss.
    If all went right, no one except the tank should get the poison nova.
    All the big and little sknakes should aggro the healer throughout the fight and because he is in the water - evade. If boss is dead, just everyone should jump right into the middle of the water and wait for the snakes to despawn (it doesnt take long, if really no one cast anything)

win. boss dead, achievement rewarded.

just remember one rule for this fight: as a DD or the tank, do not use ANY spells, abilitys, ANYTHING that might could hit more than one target.
    As a Druid tank I have the Maul Glyph and bound all Skills (Mangle, Lacerate, swipe) to a Makro which includes a "/cast !Maul"-line. for this boss, I manually drag mangle and lacerate to free action bar slots to ensure to not use Maul this fight at any time. my tps is not as high as everywere else, but it's still enough for this boss

We did the Instance yesterday - didn't try the bugusing stategy. We had a ProtPala, Warlock, Shadow, Tree and Elemental (me). I focused the snakes with chainlightning, magma totem, thunder to take them off the healer. When the boss was killed i got in the wrap for the first time - no problem.

Just bring enough dps with you.

Put the healer in the water, the snakes will evade and everyone can nuke the boss.

Or, keep everyone at max range, and tank him like chromaggus.

People actually need to cheat at this boss? Oh dear

I'm beginning to see why Blizz needed to dumb down the game for people if you can't even not exploit a fight which is point and nuke.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    Put the healer in the water, the snakes will evade and everyone can nuke the boss.

Or, keep everyone at max range, and tank him like chromaggus.
    they actually hot fixed the water crap awhile ago

I do heroics with either a Resto Shaman or a Holy Paladin. For both, we concluded that for our group, we stack up directly on the boss and zerg the boss; we run out during poison nova, then immediately restack. The snakes really aren't that bad as long as you spam any available aoe abilities (Consecration, Multishots, Blade Flurry, etc.); that way they tend not to attack a single target but instead spread it out amongst the party.

With everyone on top of the boss and even medium-level heroic DPS, you're looking at maybe 2 poison novas before he drops.

what i have noticed is that alot of the bosses in instances are alot like mini raid encounters. no longer is it just stand there and pew pew pew. so like 99% of the problems in raids,the problem isnt the snakes, its the dps that just sits there and spams one button w/o paying attention. ZOMG, MAI DPS HAZ TO BE UBER PWNAGE!()!&$ FUK PAYING ATTENTION!!
    People who spam one button aren't noobs, they are just ahead of the curve, because at some point the game will be just that easy.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dominate
    People actually need to cheat at this boss? Oh dear
    if most of your guildmates always have ID on gundrak, because they are just students who came home at 3 and you came home between 6 and 7 ... so you have to group up with pugs...

and 95% of all pug healers are great
    but nearly 99% of all pug dds are actually some fire locks or frost mages or even disc-priests, subtlety rogues, fury warriors with 1 handers, shockadins or half of them are deathknights, who do all ~600 dps, which is actually around 1/3 of the dmg I do as a tank. and yes, than you have to exploit a bit.

My only kill of this boss without exploit was just after hitting 80 with some freaks who already cleared naxxramas-10 and halfway through naxx-25, so I was actually the only PuG inside this group. and this was actually the ID where I get all the achievements possible in this instance...

yeah, random dds sucks.