New to the Death Knight class... Need an explaination...

Hey guys... I just made my first Death Knight... I really like the class from what I have seen so far? So, a couple of questions for the experts:

1) What is the difference between each talent spec, i.e. DPS, tanking? Other words, what DK talent specs is for what kind of spec?

2) What do you think is the best 2 professions to have for the Death Knight class?

3) I saw some DK's riding around and walking on water... What talent spec gets you that ability -or- Is this something you eventually learn?

Work in Progress....

Re: New to the Death Knight class... Need an explaination...

Quote Originally Posted by Canopus
    Hey guys... I just made my first Death Knight... I really like the class from what I have seen so far? So, a couple of questions for the experts:

1) What is the difference between each talent spec, i.e. DPS, tanking? Other words, what DK talent specs is for what kind of spec?

2) What do you think is the best 2 professions to have for the Death Knight class?

3) I saw some DK's riding around and walking on water... What talent spec gets you that ability -or- Is this something you eventually learn?

1 Blood is high DPS
    unholy is AoE
    And Frost is Burst Damage

2) I would go for mining and BS for the sockets

3) Its a skills which you get at 61

4) try looking at wowwiki, wowhead or even Mmo-champion, you proberly wouldn't even needed to ask.
    Main shaman: Shaman Alt Paladin: Paladin
    Alt lvl 73 mage: Mage Alt lvl 70 Death knight: Death Knight
    Random dungeon project: Druid Battleground project: Rogue
    Worgen project: Warlock Future alt: Hunter

To add to the above:

All specs can tank and all specs can dps.

For Tanking:

Some will argue frost is better for tanking due to a few talents to increase durations of defensive spells or for things like Unbreakable Armor.

Some will say Blood is good for tanking due to high self healing ability and talents like Mark of Blood and Rune Tap.

Some will say Unholy is good for tanking because they have alot of talents to increase AE type spells and abilities which will make trash pulls a breeze.

For DPS:

Some will argue for Blood due to its high dps attacks and self healing.

Some will say frost due to its large burst potential and chance on hit abilities.

Some will say unholy due to its control and added dps from Ghoul and Gargoyle.

When everything is said and done it all comes down to how you wanna play.

Playstyle:

Blood: Run up and smash faces..mostly single faces at a time.

Frost: Set up combo's for huge chance on hit crits.

Unholy: Pet style with more mob control and alot of AE dmg for multiple mobs.

I won't add nothin new, the guy above me is right.

Death Knight's are not like warrior or pally, there is no such thing as tank/dps talent tree. They can all tank and they can all dps depending on which talents you take in the tree.

I would say though that Frost is definitely the best tanking tree since its HIGH mitigation and huge burst that lets you take aggro instantly. Talents such as frigid dreadplate, lichborne, unbreakable armor and on top of all ACCLIMATION are insane dmg mitigation.

BUT, all specc can really tank very well even in raids.

For dps... whichever you like most they are all good.

EDIT : Acclimation givse a 50 res that stack 3 times, for a total of 150 resistance to an element ( EVEN HOLY DMG ! ) and it stacks with frost aura, for a total of 230 resistance at lvl 80.

I myself am frost, my girlfriend is Unholy and my best friend is blood lol. so I tried them all. All great.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamb
    I won't add nothin new, the guy above me is right.

Death Knight's are not like warrior or pally, there is no such thing as tank/dps talent tree. They can all tank and they can all dps depending on which talents you take in the tree.

I would say though that Frost is definitely the best tanking tree since its HIGH mitigation and huge burst that lets you take aggro instantly. Talents such as frigid dreadplate, lichborne, unbreakable armor and on top of all ACCLIMATION are insane dmg mitigation.

BUT, all specc can really tank very well even in raids.

For dps... whichever you like most they are all good.

EDIT : Acclimation givse a 50 res that stack 3 times, for a total of 150 resistance to an element ( EVEN HOLY DMG ! ) and it stacks with frost aura, for a total of 230 resistance at lvl 80.

I myself am frost, my girlfriend is Unholy and my best friend is blood lol. so I tried them all. All great.
    that's cool.. Thank you for all the tips... Looking for more... I've been a ranged DPS for a long time... Will take some getting use to as far as mixing tanking with DPS
    Work in Progress....

To be brief.. since you are asking all these questions... I'm assuming you are rolling a DK or thinking of lvling one.

Lvling: Blood or unholy....
    blood has more crit related stuff for its main strikes (heart strike/death strike/obliterate) and thus more single target + more self healing
    unholy improves more overall damage and gives you a perma pet + more aoe damage.

Whatever you do... the first 17 points seriously... must be focused on getting that "On a Pale Horse" in unholy tree.. I know some people will say "oh that's just movement speed"... but no .. it saves a ton of time... and besides.. whatever spec you go into... you will do decent damage, your death strike will be able to heal you enough no matter what spec... so it doesn't matter! just get faster moving first. All 3 specs can do adequate damage!

if you want to know a little bit about tanking...
    Blizzard is making some changes soon to probably shift tanking more into frost but currently unholy has a bit more TPS and mitigation with bone shield + avoidance... they also mentioned they might tweak bone shield so that might change