Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PvP/PvE spec for ret

can some one pls hit me with a good pve / pvp spec

Re: PvP/PvE spec for ret

pve pvp hybrid spec?

or one spec for either?

Either way you're asking a poor question.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=000000000000 PVE

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=000000000000 if you already have high crit if not go for this

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=000000000000 PVP

No glyphs in those builds, those should be self explanatory

PVE:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZaxZVfrt0IucrsguAo

PVP:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0ebIcZVfMtbIhfMsMzAo

Also in PvP, use Seal of Command. In PvE, if you know how to manage your hp with Judgement of Light & Art of War, use Seal of the Martyr...otherwise stick to Seal of Command here as well (your damage output will be much higher with Seal of the Martyr).

If you will do a lot of instances/raids...go for the PVE spec, it works in PVP too but is just "a little harder". There is no hybrid spec. It's one...or the other.

PVE - http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=000000000000

Although personally I'd probably take 2 points out of 50% more dmg from ret aura, and instead put them into divine purpose since that's one of the most useful talents for when you're soloing etc (Particularly if another ret pally tries to gank you lol)

Both of the other pve ret builds have suggested vindication, imo don't get it for pve. It won't work on anything which you'd really want it to work on e.g. bosses, and 50% more dmg from ret aura will provide more raid dps (It won't be your dps, but it'll be a decent chunk to all of the tanks, particularly in aoe tanking situations)

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=000000000000

that is my current spec, i dont know why i see so many people getting kings thats 5 points in talents that are imo more useful now. now i understand kings is one of the most usefull buffs the 10% increase is nice but that is something that a holy pally should be getting(imo of course). the stat increase from it is so miniscule that might and/or wisdom outweigh the stats you get from kings. and i get that the stam/agi/str/int increase is all there but i would have to get 350 str from kings for that to be better, and i only have like 260 some agi(if that) so i get another 26 agi that to me isnt worth it. the int i would get isnt worth it either, im able to get about 25-30 mobs before i have to rest so that is okay with me.

PS. this is coming from a strong ret/prot background and ideal.

ah, but getting blessing of kings isn't about you is it? In a raid/pve situation kings on a tank is more useful than might. Seal of command is horrible pve as is sheath of light and vindication. There are your points for kings, and go ahead and move those 2 points in stoicism to guardians favor.

Quote Originally Posted by solaste
    ah, but getting blessing of kings isn't about you is it? In a raid/pve situation kings on a tank is more useful than might. Seal of command is horrible pve as is sheath of light and vindication. There are your points for kings, and go ahead and move those 2 points in stoicism to guardians favor.

so something more like that?

PS touche`(sp?) lol

yah that's more along the lines. And i guess I retract my previous statement about sheath of light. It's useful when you get the Art of War proc, and have to insta flash yourself due to some sudden damage.

yah that's more along the lines. And i guess I retract my previous statement about sheath of light. It's useful when you get the Art of War proc, and have to insta flash yourself due to some sudden damage.
    All Seals and Judgements, as well as most offensives spells and abilities use a combination of Attack Power and Spell Power. Sheath of Light is a must for Retribution Paladins.
    We are each but one, an individual who can make choices for themselves.

But together we are many, a great force to which no one can deny.

Perhaps it is time we choose to use that force to improve the world.

Let's make freedom reign.

touche'

HAHA yeah and thats where all our SP comes from, so i guess it is pretty important, i took the points out of stoicism and guardians hand. since tanking is so easy now you shouldnt have to bubble people to often.

how can you honestly make a spec with 1/2 points in improved judgment.. honestly? you'd rather have that stun resist?

AND not pick up seal of command? You do know there are the occasional fights where you would take too much damage.. the end of loatheb for example.. where you will need to switch to command or you will die.

Quote Originally Posted by dustbunny
    how can you honestly make a spec with 1/2 points in improved judgment.. honestly? you'd rather have that stun resist?

AND not pick up seal of command? You do know there are the occasional fights where you would take too much damage.. the end of loatheb for example.. where you will need to switch to command or you will die.
    guess im just lost where to put that point, that stun resist is nice, but i guess not necessary, im still working out my final build.

and really with the /faceroll skillset i could probly drop that last point into imp judge, lol.

Saw this PvP build concept awhile back on the forums, might be worth looking into:
    PvP Build

Basically, it uses your Seals to eat offensive dispels because of the combined 30% dispel chance and the 66% dispel chance from Sanctified Seals, leaving potentially a 3% chance to be dispelled, which means that it will be harder and take more purge/dispel/spell steal spams to get that precious BoF off of you, of course you have to sac 2 seconds of its duration to do so, but what good is the extended duration if it gets devoured instantly?

Not sure if they stack up additive or multiplicative, but its worth looking into or testing.

Also, dropped off Righteous Vengeance because without Fanaticism to push the crit chance of Judgement way up, which is where this ability will do the majority of its damage, its just soaking 5 points in the talent tree. Put 3 into Fanaticism because its 15% greater chance for our Judgements to crit, and Judgements are often times some of our biggest damage outputs, and you're not always gonna be judging them while they are stunned. That's just my opinion though. Feel free to play with it.
    We are each but one, an individual who can make choices for themselves.

But together we are many, a great force to which no one can deny.

Perhaps it is time we choose to use that force to improve the world.

Let's make freedom reign.

No no, getting Kings is all about me. Sure, I don't use it soloing because Might is so much better. But 75% of the time in groups I have a warrior or another paladin. Kings + Might or Battle Shout, even unimproved, is better than Might alone.

If your strength is enough so that the 10% buff from Kings gives you at least 137 attack power, Kings + Might is the way to go. That strength threshold is 685. Right now I have 1148 strength, so I would prefer to Kings myself and take even the unimproved AP buff from a warrior or another paladin.

Ret also has the easiest time taking the 5 talents in Kings. I give up absolutely zero DPS abilities to take it, whereas prot paladins have to give up something for it. I'm not sure about Holy because I don't intend to ever heal. Given that, it simply makes sense to take it. Be a good ret.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by takainig

that is my current spec, i dont know why i see so many people getting kings thats 5 points in talents that are imo more useful now. now i understand kings is one of the most usefull buffs the 10% increase is nice but that is something that a holy pally should be getting(imo of course).
    PS. this is coming from a strong ret/prot background and ideal.
    Ret pallies are speccing for Kings because they dont lose any DPS by doing so, where as Holy paladins lose crit. It is easiest for a ret paladin to spec into it then for a holy or prot.

You need to clarify if you want your spec for raiding or casual soloing. I raid so with that in mind, best, most useful raid spec is:

Not taking sheath is absolute fail and people seem to not understand the importance of PoJ. The faster you can get to the mob when you need to change positions and the faster you can get behind it the more dps you do. As stated, vindication doesn't work on bosses so it's silly to take.

For PvP:

I'll get back to you as soon as I find that damn spec I posted somewhere in these forums...

For PvP Arena you might want to look into putting points into Divine Guardian, 30% reduction to party members on top of blessing of sacrifice will give your team alot of survivability for those 12 seconds.

For those thinking of taking Righteous Vengeance over Fanaticism, I'm rather lost about this as well but I opted for the crit chance as the Art of War proc will be far more useful than a DoT on a crit for a select few spells, especially since burst damage is king in PvP.

Also the 2/3 Sanctified Seals idea is interesting, I've never thought about it but it will be amazing for anti dispel, or even to have them waste a couple GCDs on dispelling your seal before giving up, well worth the sacrifice of 1% crit and is probably gonna be a must get for pvp.

Lastly, I'm lost on spending the protection tier 3 points Improved Righteous Fury or Toughness, 6% reduction of damage really can be a large margin to staying alive while the 18% reduction to movement reduction on top of 6% armor contribution would be rather useful as well. Any thoughts on which would be the best choice?

This is what I'd spec for PvE:

I skipped Kings for Guardian's Favor (prot) and Divine Purpose (ret) because I feel that having an ability to remove stuns and have a snare immunity for 14 seconds (extra 4 seconds) could/would be very handy in PvE situations. Also 1 minute less on Hand of Protection.

I threw the extra point left over into Stoicism (prot) because it was either that or Pursuit of Justice (ret). I haven't played WotLK yet, so I've no idea if there are more disarming mobs than stunning ones, so that point could go into either one.