Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Better DPS: Ret pally or DK? who wins

Hey guys, well i cant seem to decide if to take my 80 pally and gear him ret or to level my 65 DK, who makes better dps, and how much.

Re: Better DPS: Ret pally or DK? who wins

What spec is the DK?
    AoE or single target pulls?
    Mobs undead?
    Mobs immune to disease or shadow?

raids and heorics in general

Rerolling? Want other people to tell you whats better? Incapable of doing this yourself?

Actually, I'm kinda curious about this myself... I could probably do the math myself, but... I'd probably be wrong...lolz...

I work in IT for goddess' sake!!! I suck at math....

Blood DK's dps is definitely one of the top dps currently in the game. Much more so than a Ret Pally. My guild has all server firsts for available heroic bosses right now and each night we raid the DK is top 1 or 2 dps. If the boss isnt melee friendly this may not be the case but in most cases DK's definitely put up more dps than rets.

Once they fix the "missed" ghost judgements from ret pallies this gap between us and DK's may close a bit but for now DK's definitely have the edge. This is coming from a ret pally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by babathong
    Blood DK's dps is definitely one of the top dps currently in the game. Much more so than a Ret Pally. My guild has all server firsts for available heroic bosses right now and each night we raid the DK is top 1 or 2 dps. If the boss isnt melee friendly this may not be the case but in most cases DK's definitely put up more dps than rets. This is coming from a bad ret pally as well.
    Fixed
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Rerolling? Want other people to tell you whats better? Incapable of doing this yourself?
    lol dude you got some serious problems if you were being serious by this. People come to forums as a community to discuss things. He personally doesn't know so he asked and all you do is flame? I smell a troll.

Well this will ultimately vary depending on 10man and 25man and also what buffs are being received ( but that also depends on 10man or 25man ). And also, yes, spec is important, but for the sake of finding out top DPS we'll say Blood. And as far as I hear, if both are on simple targets I hear they can be quite competitive but DK usually comes on top. But I couldn't actually show you any numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    Fixed
    Explain.
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri (Blue Tracker)
    What you're experiencing is world PvP on a PvP realm. I realize that it's not for everyone, but it's not something that we plan to adjust. The harsh reality is that life on a PvP realm can be difficult, and if you aren't prepared for the rigors of playing on such a realm, then it's probably in your best interest to transfer to a normal realm, or, if you cannot afford that, then consider creating a new character on a normal realm.
    Grim Campfire

My experience as a self-proclaimed pretty good ret pally...

I run heroics/raids with an Unholy DK very often. He can do better AE damage than me, for sure. On single targets it varies a bit but we're quite close. It also makes a difference if the mob is undead or demon (which gives me an advantage). For example, last time we did patchwerk our DPS at the end of the fight was within a couple % of each other (I think I put out 2800ish and he did 2750ish). On non-undead fights, I might drop 100 or 150 dps so he seems to have a slight edge. This is also a pretty fair comparison because we're using roughly the same gear.

I haven't run anything with a Blood DK who I would consider skilled, so I can't comment on them. (The last one I ran with in a heroic insisted that because he can tank in his spec, it's his job to off tank a mob as a form of CC... without putting on defense gear).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jutteri
    Why ppl always want the best. Id say just pick the one you like, not the one which facerolls
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    This.
    The problem here is that I enjoy both my Pally and my DK about equally. They're both enormously fun to play.

This is the reason I got into this thread. I figure, if I like 'em both... then potential DPS may be something to consider when choosing between them. I am not, however looking to faceroll... That's no fun.

Thanks to all of you who have put such good info up for those of us who are finding the choice difficult.

The answer to your question will change a patch or two from now.

Quote Originally Posted by pedroso
    Hey guys, well i cant seem to decide if to take my 80 pally and gear him ret or to level my 65 DK, who makes better dps, and how much.
    Play the one you like playing more, and stop touching yourself while looking at the damage meter.

Play both

yeah i was thinking about that playing both, but why have 2 dps classes when i can have a healer and a dps, i just wanted to know if the DK dps was way too much better than the ret pally

Quote Originally Posted by pedroso
    yeah i was thinking about that playing both, but why have 2 dps classes when i can have a healer and a dps, i just wanted to know if the DK dps was way too much better than the ret pally
    I was thinking about playing both too, but then I decided gearing up a second character with the exact same plate and exact same weapons wouldn't be too interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba
    Play the one you like playing more, and stop touching yourself while looking at the damage meter.
    But what if ones a hot female belf paly?
    Global warming in Azeroth is serious business. They have melted and seek to flood the world! The Ice Stone has melted!- Kisirani (Blizzard Epic Realm Error "Love is in the Air" Event 2009)

The better player wins, that's what.

Putting conditions and situation on the shelf, all I can say is that a paladin is far more versatile than a Death Knight. Sure, a Death Knight can tank and dps well, but they cannot heal nor can they provide valuable regain to the entire raid. The Paladin has far better tools for raiding than a Death Knight does as far as I can tell.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Jutteri
    Why ppl always want the best. Id say just pick the one you like, not the one which facerolls
    Agreed.

both DK and Ret paladin are viable as DPS so it shouldn't really matter which one does slightly more. Except for those people who just have to stroke and touch their e-peen.