Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pally Tank Malygos Req.

Hey guys I am thinking about tanking Malygos soon and was wondering do I have the requirement? First of all can I get in? From what I understand you need a key, but only one person needs it to get everyone in correct? I was also wondering is there any trash pulls to get to him? Or is it just him alone?

Now for my gear. I do not have any raid epics. I am sure most of u r thinking no way I can tank it with no raid epics, but I do have 15 purples from emblems of heroism, heroic drops, and crafting. So here we go my stats...

Unbuffed

Hp = 28,154

Armor= 23,380

Defense= 542

Dodge= 21.69%

Parry= 16.08%

Block= 13.55%

BV= 927

here is a link to my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Nosurrendor

So can I do it? be.imba.hu says I can. I am just wondering what you guys think if any of u have done it. I am gonna go for 10 man first then if that succeeds 25 man

Re: Pally Tank Malygos Req.

Heya Jermone,

- Yes you are correct: 1 person needs the key to start the fight but anyone can enter the instance.
    - There is no trash for Malygos
    - I can only answer for 10man as I never tried 25 but your gear is fine.

Hiho, you need that quest item from Sapphiron (normal mode drops just for 10 men and the heroic one for both) - you can enter the instance throught the 3rd portal in the Nexus on Coldorra. There's an orb in the middle of the platform. You can just use it and call Malygos on the ground if you got the quest item.

HP & armor are ok, but you lack on combined avoidence (block, parry, dodge = 102,4%) - Malygos hits slow but strong, I'd say around 10-12k ... on top of that you get the breath whichs something over 25k on heroic.

I can be done at least in 10 man, 25man i really suggest another tank than a paly because of our low hp pool, but still doable just more taxing on healers. But malygos is much more than a tank fight you need a raid that understand the encounter, else you will have loooots of trouble, ofc it can be explained and by clever tank movement many of the problems can be reduced, but still a tricky first until people know what to do.

It's nowhere near impossible, but won't go quite as fluidly as a more geared tank. I guess that's kind of obvious though.

Sapphiron drops a quest item that allows you to summon and kill Malygos for a quest reward. While attempting, and after completing this quest, you gain the ability to summon him.

Your gear is perfectly fine to tank Malygos in 10 man. As long as you have say Kings and Fort your unbuffed hp is more than ok. Your avoidance isn't bad either.

It's really going to depend on how strong your healers are. You will need a very strong tank healer as Malygos does hit fairly hard. Also, your raid has to make sure that no sparks reach Malygos because if he does get the 50% damage buff he will probably kill you.

Cho - That avoidance number was only valid to eliminate crushing blows, which do not exist in-game anymore for raid bosses. He does not need 102.4% total avoidance.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Korialstrasz&n=Kafferty

Quote Originally Posted by SimTex
    I can be done at least in 10 man, 25man i really suggest another tank than a paly because of our low hp pool, but still doable just more taxing on healers. But malygos is much more than a tank fight you need a raid that understand the encounter, else you will have loooots of trouble, ofc it can be explained and by clever tank movement many of the problems can be reduced, but still a tricky first until people know what to do.

We have had our feral druid taking Malygos on our first try nights, and he is full 25 men geared, just like me - he just had more HP while I nearly didnt got hit by him except for the breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Breklin
    Cho - That avoidance number was only valid to eliminate crushing blows, which do not exist in-game anymore for raid bosses. He does not need 102.4% total avoidance.
    Thats not correct either. It was to eliminate CBs back then but now its hitimmunity and its easily reachable for a prot paladin, so why not having every hit -2000 blocked, dodged or parried? That would make up for warriors having 2k more hp with their gun spot.

And if we're talking about HP pools, just get JC and BS and you'll be fine - I'll get my 31k unbuffed with the sartharion + 1D breastplate.

It's not hit immunity as you are still taking damage.

Also, the big hits on both Malygos and Sartharion (with multiple drakes up) are magic and therefore no phyiscal avoidance is going to matter.

Yes, and its still getting blocked, parried or dodged. Whats your point?

You still want to get to that 102.4 number, it's still less damage you take, which is one of the more important things a tank does. I would get a little more avoidance first, Malygos hits like a truck and it's physical damage.

You'll be fine for the 10 man tanking. 25 man will be a little tougher, but by no means is it not possible with your gear. Disregard what the OP said above because your avoidance is not good. You should try to be over 20% in each stat, block, dodge, parry.

While keeping the tank alive is defiantly a hard part about malygos this generally only applies to phase 1 and you should have no problems staying alive here. The hardest part will be positioning malygos so the sparks dont hit him and not dying to the breaths. You'll find more often than not the dps dying on malygos is more of a problem than the tank dying. Its a group effort... and a semi hard fight. But you should be fine to tank the 10 man and probably could do the 25man if you had good healers and dps.

Actually its still pretty valid. Very common term now-a-days for pallys is block cap. This is easily obtainable for any pally with decent gear. It doesn't have as high a priority as it use to but now that i'm at the block cap any physical damage I take gets reduced by 2k. This is very good mitigation... Once you hit 102.4 then you should start dropping block for parry/dodge as long as you're still over the cap. Since dodge and parry are ultimately better stats than block.

Anyways i'll i'm saying is pallys should still try to reach this number since it is very obtainable and you will notice a huge difference in the damage you take once you hit this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho
    Yes, and its still getting blocked, parried or dodged. Whats your point?
    You're seriously saying you can block, dodge or parry a spell? Please tell me I'm grossly misinterpreting you.

Actually its still pretty valid. Very common term now-a-days for pallys is block cap...Once you hit 102.4 then you should start dropping block for parry/dodge as long as you're still over the cap. Since dodge and parry are ultimately better stats than block.
    Fair enough on providing mitigation through block. Dodge and parry are only better stats though as long as you aren't far into the DR for them, which probably isn't a concern until Ulduar at the earliest, given current itemization.

My point really was that for a fight like Malygos where the largest risk of death comes from a large burst of spell damage, it's not worth stacking avoidance over stamina to a large degree.

My point really was that for a fight like Malygos where the largest risk of death comes from a large burst of spell damage, it's not worth stacking avoidance over stamina to a large degree.
    Yeah him and Sarth 3 drakes are huge amounts of spell damage. It requires you to be topped off at all times because if you take spell + melee hit (which by the way is still pretty hard) you'll die if you don't get a heal. This is the reason why I try to stay between 28k-30k HP because the extra 2-3% dodge just isn't worth 1500-2K hp on some fights. I have a dodge trinket i can put on for fights where avoidance is paramount.

EDIT: I didn't even mention that 3 drake sarth you have much less HP than you normally would... You'll need as much as possible to stay alive as a tank.

I wasnt saying that you can avoid getting hit by spells. I was saying that you still can avoid A LOT of dmg throught being at the 102,4% CA.

That are my stats (unbuffed) with HS up - its 104,9% CA but it'll change with the sartharion breastplate. JC & BS as profs.

Thanks for the help, ill see if I can find a grp for it today and let u guys know how I do. Block capped would be great to have, but at what cost to my stamina? Ill be getting a lot more dodge and parry with a few upgrades while increasing my stamina at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho
    I wasnt saying that you can avoid getting hit by spells. I was saying that you still can avoid A LOT of dmg throught being at the 102,4% CA.

That are my stats (unbuffed) with HS up - its 104,9% CA but it'll change with the sartharion breastplate. JC & BS as profs.

Nice, but understand I am sure you are much better geared than I am. No way I can obtain those numbers without having raid gear. I am sure we would all be block capped and have high stamina if we could. Not saying that you don't know this, but just making a point. Thanks again for the advice

It seems like your gear is very similar to mine (with a few exceptions) and I tanked Malygos perfectly fine for our guild's first kill.

You should have no problem staying alive as long as your healers are on the ball when you come down from vortex!

my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hi&n=Severnaya

Good luck! Hope you're as lucky as I was with the shield!

I reckon you should fare in 10 man, but not in 25 man >_<
    I myself have 30k unbuffed (that's what counts on malygos TBH :P) and am well over the 102.4 cap (you struggle to get it up first and then struggle to get it down XD) with 1.5k unbuffed BV (goes over 2.2 with libram and raid buffs) and sometimes I get kille don malygos 25 man (after a vortex, you dont have big heals incoming, he does a breath and a hit, if I dont have libram up, dont dodge it, dont resist any of the breath that's pretty much my hp pool XD)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatsuyuki
    I reckon you should fare in 10 man, but not in 25 man >_<
    I myself have 30k unbuffed (that's what counts on malygos TBH :P) and am well over the 102.4 cap (you struggle to get it up first and then struggle to get it down XD) with 1.5k unbuffed BV (goes over 2.2 with libram and raid buffs) and sometimes I get kille don malygos 25 man (after a vortex, you dont have big heals incoming, he does a breath and a hit, if I dont have libram up, dont dodge it, dont resist any of the breath that's pretty much my hp pool XD)
    1.5k unbuffed BV? Can I see you're armory link please? I have a couple pieces of Block gear and i have really good str over 1200 but i cant seem to get past 1385 or so block i don't know what i'm missing.