Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

tips for a new holy paladin

ok i just went holy a few days ago, and i already built up some gear before i made the switch heres my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nyxia&n=Soleia . i did a couple of 10m's yesterday and even a 25m obsidian sanctum with no real trouble. Then today i did heroic nexus and it was horrible and did reg HoL also....wasn't sure it was all me, i know i had a hand in it. Warrior was a guildie and was having trouble of his own. The HoL run was better but there were still wipes...especially at loken. But i was wondering what macros, or tips you would have for holy paladins. Mind you also that this was the first time i did any of them as a healer, and like i said i've only been holy for a few days. so any tips? P.s. also i still do have ret gear remaining.
    "If you see greedo or solo let them know the war is over..i used jabba for bait to catch the Kracken. Sorry greedo."

"The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed."- Ghostcrawler on warriors

Re: tips for a new holy paladin

It can be tough to start healing heroics as a paladin, I find that one of the best things to do is just make sure beacon and sacred shield are always on your tank. Then you can exploit Holy shock and the instant flash heal if it crits to heal three people almost at once.

If I were you i would take that point out of pursuit of justice and finish up kings.

Overall i think the most important thing to do is try not to loose your head when aoe dmg goes off and you feel behind in healing, just trust the beacon and save the dps one at a time.

You could also look into getting healbot as an addon to make all that frantic flash healing easier.

15+ Year Old Account

i was also thinking of completely takin those points out of kings and throwin them into sanctified seals in ret tree...would that help...and where can i get that add-on?
    "If you see greedo or solo let them know the war is over..i used jabba for bait to catch the Kracken. Sorry greedo."

"The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed."- Ghostcrawler on warriors

Healing as a paladins is very simple in theory but a bit more complicated in practice. A lot of paladins I've run with that were new to holy often forget about themselves. That's true for all new healers for the most part really.

But as was said above, Beacon and Sacred Shield on your tank. Sacred Shield absorbs huge amounts of damage and is often undervalued, but it's truly awesome. With 2k healing it absorbs 2k, every six seconds, so 8-10k absorbed over 30 seconds. Well worth it.

Remember to keep JoL on the boss as well. Helps heal the tank and any melee DPS(casters too now?) taking AoE damage. Also increases your haste by 15% which is always awesome as we only have one instant heal every six seconds.

Use Holy Shock to heal DPS mainly, unless the tank takes spikey damage where he might die in the time it takes to cast a holy light, in which case there probably isn't much/any AoE going out. If it crits, then you can drop a super quick Holy Light on the main tank if he's really low or just an instant flash on anyone that needs it and both the flash and shock will heal the tank, leading to triple win.

Always be sure to stop cast. By that I mean, if no one needs a heal, doesn't matter. Start casting holy light or flash of light on your tank. If they don't need it by .5 seconds before the cast ends (or even less if you can time it well with lag), cancel your heal by pressing esc or moving. Do no jump however. This way, you don't lose any time reacting to a large hit from a boss, you already have a heal casting and can just let it go for virtually instant healing on your tank. If you ever do Patchwerk, that's all you ever do. Stop Cast Holy Light the entire fight, with the occasional holy shock if your heal lands and the tank is still not topped. Stop casting is really the only "hard" thing to learn with healing.

15+ Year Old Account

good tips..thanx

ok after having a look at your gear and what you have specced i can suggest a few things that the other posts havent and maybe reitterate a couple of things that they did mention. i agree that you dont need pursuit of justice and that sanctified seals will give you 3% more crit which is great . kings is important because it increases your mana pool so you may want to max that out. in 25 man raids if you run with another holy pally have them get kings and you concerntrate on your crit . others may argue about this but respeccing for a pally is something you should get used too as you are a hybrid class and you will always be fulfilling a specific role. healbot is great get that too. gear wise argent crusade rep is impt for a epic ring and helm but the one thing i did notice is your mana pool is very low so increasing that is very important as important as crit is i believe a decent mana pool is more impt. currently i run at just under 21k mana 1850 to healing and 31% crit in my guild im considered undergeared. finally i too am a great believer in sacred shield and beacon of light on the tanks with the holy light glyph aoe healing is alot easier for a pally. good luck dont panic and youll do fine.

15+ Year Old Account

where can i get the healbot add on? curse-gaming? i heard that site is having virus trouble if thats the case :/ thanx for the advice btw

yeah thats where i got it from but if thats the case youll need to find it from somewhere else.

Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sxA0xGzhVuMxRtoZVcbx0h (includes 2$ kings).

Glyphs: Glyph of Seal of Wisdom
    Glyph of Holy Light

stats: Focus on Spell Power, Critical Strike, Intellect and mp5, Haste is a bonus don't really look for it. not spirit.

Gear: Use a Sheild. Plate is not heavy enforced since there is leather, mail, cloth which are perfect for holy paladins.

Gem with crit, int or SP.

Spells:
    beacon of light, use this. In heroics put on tank so you are able to heal dps and tank at the same time. in raids beacon OT if they are both tanking. Beacon MT if hes only tanking.

Flash of light keeps tanks etc topped and provides fast heal.
    Holy Light Should be used for large heals.
    Sacred Sheild keep it up on tank always.
    Divine Plea Best spell available to you. Use it when your mana is going down fast or low. its also a 1min CD so use it alot.
    Seal of Wisdom Keep it up always.
    Holy Shock Use this for a insta heal and if it crits it decreases cast time on ur flash and holy light.
    Addons: PallyPower: for buffs, useful in raids.
    Healbot: Useful in raids.

Tips: Judge a mob for a 1min buff increasing your spell haste. Use seal of wisdom, decreases mana cost.
    Don't use Avenging Wraith, you cannot bubble for 2mins if you do.
    Use divine illumination to save mana, it is a 2min CD so use it when you can/want/need.
    Sacred sheild yourself if theres constant adds.
    Beacon yourself or a tank in heroics.
    Use Consecration aura.
    Use holy shock, not only does it provide a fast insta heal but if it crits returns mana like others spells and also makes ur flash of light instant and your holy light a 1.3-5s cast.
    Enchant your stuff.

Keep atleast 10 Symbol of divinity on yourself. Keep atleast 200 Symbol of kings on yourself. You can buy both from a reagent vendor.

~~~~~
    Neferium The Explorer of Jube'thos.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeorred
    Always be sure to stop cast. By that I mean, if no one needs a heal, doesn't matter. Start casting holy light or flash of light on your tank. If they don't need it by .5 seconds before the cast ends (or even less if you can time it well with lag), cancel your heal by pressing esc or moving. Do no jump however. This way, you don't lose any time reacting to a large hit from a boss, you already have a heal casting and can just let it go for virtually instant healing on your tank. If you ever do Patchwerk, that's all you ever do. Stop Cast Holy Light the entire fight, with the occasional holy shock if your heal lands and the tank is still not topped. Stop casting is really the only "hard" thing to learn with healing.
    The rest of your advice was alright, but this is not. The reason why you stop-cast is to conserve mana. This had a place during progression in BC when you (and the whole rest of the raid) were often undergeared for the fight. However, there is no fight in Wrath for which this is at all applicable. They're just all too easy and too short. This combined with Plea and Int stacking means you should never oom as a Holy Pally. You should be able to HL spam from start to finish through an entire Patchwerk fight - taking breaks only to refresh Beacon and Judgments.

Edit: OP - Those trinkets are doing literally nothing for you. They'd be just as useful if they were empty slots. AP is worthless for us. I guess the one is giving you 30 crit, but that's all. You should never be meleeing the boss.

The best thing you can ever do for yourself is to read this thread (or rather the first post): http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t35975-h...n_guide_wotlk/ . Forget everything else you see here or on any other of these crappy message boards. The advice given around here is only 75% accurate at best. The EJ post is the Holy Pally Bible (and every other class/spec as far as I'm concerned). Read it. Love it. Live it.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest
    The rest of your advice was alright, but this is not. The reason why you stop-cast is to conserve mana. This had a place during progression in BC when you (and the whole rest of the raid) were often undergeared for the fight. However, there is no fight in Wrath for which this is at all applicable. They're just all too easy and too short. This combined with Plea and Int stacking means you should never oom as a Holy Pally. You should be able to HL spam from start to finish through an entire Patchwerk fight - taking breaks only to refresh Beacon and Judgments.

Edit: OP - Those trinkets are doing literally nothing for you. They'd be just as useful if they were empty slots. AP is worthless for us. I guess the one is giving you 30 crit, but that's all. You should never be meleeing the boss.

The best thing you can ever do for yourself is to read this thread (or rather the first post): http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t35975-h...n_guide_wotlk/ . Forget everything else you see here or on any other of these crappy message boards. The advice given around here is only 75% accurate at best. The EJ post is the Holy Pally Bible (and every other class/spec as far as I'm concerned). Read it. Love it. Live it.
    This...

Gem for int, int, int more int int and crit. Drop the gem bonusses (not worth it) forget mp5 (almost completely) you don't want the +int +stamina gems, you want +int buffs (start with perfect .... +16 intellect gem.). Get some badges for the trinkets. when you get around 18000+ mana start grabbing more crit gear and pay a little less interest into int.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Cheers MortaX

P.S. welcome to the Holydin club. You(We)'re awesome you just don't know it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Neferium
    1 Point in Kings? Frankly, I don't see the point. If I was melee dps'ing (and maybe even tanking as prot), I'd ask for BoM instead if I knew it was only a 2% kings. 5/5 kings or nothing at all. Is there something I don't know regarding this?

I'd go with: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sxA0gMzhVuMxRtaZVcbx This leaves out Improved concentration aura, which I haven't needed in PvE...yet. Someone plz let me know if there are situations where it's all but required.

Glyphs: Glyph of Seal of Wisdom
    Glyph of Holy Light
    You forgot Glyph of Flash of Light (gonna be great in 3.0.8), and the other option to replace Glyph of Seal of Wisdom with Glyph of Seal of Light in case you'd rather have stronger heals. This one is a toss-up based on preference.

stats: Focus on Spell Power, Critical Strike, Intellect and mp5, Haste is a bonus don't really look for it. not spirit.
    In order of priority: Int, Spell Power, Critical Strike, Haste, Mp5. And just gem for INT unless you can get a gem bonus of INT.

To OP: Welcome to the fold. Once you have a solid understanding of how pally healing is designed, you'll have a blast. Good luck.

Dont get kings unless you are the only Paladin in your guild raids, Retadins should grab it. I Went deeper into Ret for more crit and the faster run speed (Mainly for pvp). You could take the 2 points out of it and get improv wis but imo 15~ MP5 extra is lame.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by lumnights

In order of priority: Int, Spell Power, Critical Strike, Haste, Mp5. And just gem for INT unless you can get a gem bonus of INT.
    Int, Critical Strike, Spell Power, Haste, Mp5. And just gem for INT unless you can get a gem bonus of INT.

Imo

SP 2250, mana 20k unbuffed, 31% crit, 27.5% haste 57.5% with trinkets, unbuffed 300 mp5 (i round stats to nearest)
    Sephirothh of Kel'thuzad (prot atm or id give u armory)

I personally like to gem for straight SP 19sp red gem (runed scarlet ruby), if is a red socket and any thing else i use the 9 sp 8 int orange gem (luminous monarch topaz).

A macro i use is
    /target (main tank)
    /cast beacon of light
    /target (main or off tank depends on fight)

As said above sacred sheild is beast and you want to keep dropping your JoL keep a 100% up time, cuz free raid heals are beast

Id put priority as SP, Crit, haste, int........................ id put mp5 after some where after useless
    Int comes with gear so don't worry to much about it raid buffed you always have a decent mana pool so.

GL enjoy being a holy pally till you get gear then it gets boring.

Quote Originally Posted by koss
    Id put priority as SP, Crit, haste, int........................ id put mp5 after some where after useless
    You're wrong. Incredibly so.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Useful comment.
    Have someone point out multiple things, then just tell him he's wrong.
    Not WHAT is wrong, or WHY it is wrong.
    Let's just let him, and everyone else, guess what you meant, and what your suggestion/preference would be.

States

Might not be a useful comment.. But he's right!

Prioratizing stats like Koss does is old!

Its time to realize he have to put out focus a tad different..! Its to early to gem endgame!

l2p

States

Quote Originally Posted by Udugelig
    l2p
    Like your name states itself.. Stop being useless and post shit in forums you got no clue about

Its new times for Holy Paladins.. And focusing on Int. is CLEARLY the way to go as it is now.. With the current gear level.. Once we get to tier 9 or whatever its gonna be called.. Stats and spells will be a whole other talk.. And its time to be more precise to optimize.. Its always been like that.. And it will always be like that..

But as before.. there will always be people who find it hard to adabt to new situations and HUG what they knew before tightly and become stubborn.. Kinda Pathetic if you ask me.. But I'll let them boil in their own stubborness..