Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Death Knight Dps Comapred to other Meele Classes

I'm thinking of re-rolling a DK for the expac and dropping my enhance shaman and I was wondering if PvE dps as a DK would be a viable meele dps to bring to raids. If so, what spec unholy or blood? Are they the worst meele dps or are they about the same as enhance, ret, warriors?

Re: Death Knight Dps Comapred to other Meele Classes

considering blood has 2 out of 3 buffs an enhance shaman does AND mark of blood/hysteria, I'd say so

Blood brings a lot of utlity, but unholy was top-dog in dps before they nerfed black ice. I haven't seen any data yet on which spec is top now.

As far as viable, well you have to understand Blzizard's defintion is different from the average player's definition. Player thinks capable of top 5 = viable, whereas Blizzard thinks "eh within a few percentage damage done" even if that drops you down to 10th or below.

I think rogues and ret paladins are still doing a bit more dps than DKs, but we're up there.

10th on the meters wont cut it for me top 5 for sure.

DK's are meant to be tanks, or high damage offtanks, not rogues, I doubt theyll ever be top 5 in damage. Unless you're talking 10 man raiding.

Maybe i just suck as a ret paladin but both in premade gear i do way more dmg as a frost spec and a unholy spec dk then a ret pally. Also do slightly more dmg as blood then a ret pally. This is sustained dmg...paladin has more burst.

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    DK's are meant to be tanks, or high damage offtanks, not rogues, I doubt theyll ever be top 5 in damage. Unless you're talking 10 man raiding.
    Just...no

No, druidftl =)

fail...blood and unholy spec are for pve/pvp/aoe dps respectively, though imho if you go blood ur sustained DPS will be high, and most likely top 10, and depending on how blizzard really wants top 5 isnt too far fetched.

god this thread is full of fail.

ok, listen up cause i am only going over this once. every DK tree is a lot like that of a feral dr00d. there are talents that promote tanking, dpsing, or hybrid talents with multiple use. when properly specced, a DK is a tank. doesnt matter the tree. might be a blood tank, an unholy tank, might be a frost tank. or, if he is using pure dps talents, he is a dpser. be it a blood dpser, a frost dpser, or an unholy dpser, he is a dpser. try to avoid ever claiming one tree is the dps or tank tree, because it makes you look (even more) retarded

when talking about DK damage, the final changes have yet to be made, but if i had to guess they will probably end up with the other hybrids. the oomkins. the shammies. the retadins. maybe ot quite up there with hunters, rogues, mages, or warlocks, but within about 5-10% of there overall damage given equal gear/skill
    all hail king frost strike

There was nothing wrong with Unholy dk damage before the nerf. It was comparable to a good elemental shaman or a ret pally.

Unholy dks still do more dps than frost dks...

for those who dont know of the hybrids psi listed...ive only seen oomkins be within 5-10th place, and these are decently geared ones

Druidftl indeed, blizzard has stated that the death knight is meant to be a dps/tank hybrid class, much in the same way a paladin is a healer/tank hybrid class. I'm sure DKs will be up there in the dps scale once more people start playing them, they will at least rise above ret paladins since paladins were not made for dps as a main goal. It's just commone sense, there's no reason to over complicate it. if a pally is high on the dps chart then a DK should rise above retadins at least considering they were made with being a main dps in mind...unlike the paladin. Seriously, just go look in the class section of the official WoW website.

The Paladin is a tanking/healer hybrid

Death Knight is a DPS/tanking hybrid

One reason they may be low on the dps charts atm could be

A: Not everyone has acces to them, only high level players.

B: They are a new class, you have to give them time to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by psicorp

ok, listen up cause i am only going over this once. every DK tree is a lot like that of a feral dr00d. there are talents that promote tanking, dpsing, or hybrid talents with multiple use. when properly specced, a DK is a tank. doesnt matter the tree. might be a blood tank, an unholy tank, might be a frost tank. or, if he is using pure dps talents, he is a dpser. be it a blood dpser, a frost dpser, or an unholy dpser, he is a dpser. try to avoid ever claiming one tree is the dps or tank tree, because it makes you look (even more) retarded

when talking about DK damage, the final changes have yet to be made, but if i had to guess they will probably end up with the other hybrids. the oomkins. the shammies. the retadins. maybe ot quite up there with hunters, rogues, mages, or warlocks, but within about 5-10% of there overall damage given equal gear/skill
    Each tree is made for playing a dps/tank, Really? well you can't blame us for being confused. I've been told numerouse times that frost is the best tree to spec for tanking, since you say all trees are made for dps/tanking, the new question is, what do we spec within our preffered trees for dps or tanking. I'm trying to be nice since you're probably a little kid, but just because we're not all obsessive little smart ass nerds over WoW like you is no reason to call others retarded for thinking each tree leans toward a playstyle, I mean it's been that way with pretty much every class up till now.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFTW
    Each tree is made for playing a dps/tank, Really? well you can't blame us for being confused. I've been told numerouse times that frost is the best tree to spec for tanking, since you say all trees are made for dps/tanking, the new question is, what do we spec within our preffered trees for dps or tanking. I'm trying to be nice since you're probably a little kid, but just because we're not all obsessive little smart ass nerds over WoW like you is no reason to call others retarded for thinking each tree leans toward a playstyle, I mean it's been that way with pretty much every class up till now.
    Especially when anyone that understands gaming mechanics realizes just how full of fail thinking a blood spec tanks as well as a unholy or frost spec.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Poster casts Raise Thread.
    You are now Hostile with Forum.
    "My rage bar is blue, and I start the fight pissed!" - Battlecry of the Ret Paladin.
    "The best defense is a good offense." - Motto of the Ret Paladin.
    River Below - Billy Talent - Theme Song of the Ret Paladin.

DK Death Strike Tanking
    The Power of Avoidance! - DK Tank Required Reading
    DK AP Coefficients
    DK Threat Values

Aurich von Deathstrike

Sup guys,

As an Unholy DPS DK, I can quite happily say that our so called "nerfs" in the unholy tree didn't actually hurt much if at all, the gargoyle nerf was made besides that the PvE talents are still almost the same. My DPS has gone from top two to top three at worse, this is due to AoE mainly and then single on bosses, but with the UB lower cost in RP I am finding that glyphed with Icy Touch my RP hits 100 faster and I am popping off more DC's.

in regards to Blood or Frost i coulnt say cause i have never used them, but still loving the class.

Quote Originally Posted by psicorp

this guy is such a nob-jockey. And quite blatantly knows cock all about raiding as a dps DK.

@OP. I was an Enh shaman through 60 Wow and TBC, cleared all endgame content (before nerf). After 4 yrs playing enh i left my lovely shaman and decided to try DK because it was a hybrid melee/spell class (same as enh), but with plate armour and some survivability...and ofc...AOE.

Dk is very VERy good dps....the 2 dps DKs in my guild are 1 and 2 on dps meters on 95% of fights. Able to dps up to 6.5k dps in 25mans and AOE like mad on trash and adds fights (hellooo 8k dps on Sartharion!) both as DW and using 2h weapons.
    DK is a great class, however...a word of caution...there are millions of DKs around. If you want to raid endgame it may be difficult to find a guild (unless u already have one with a spot open). I had the dps DK spot in my guild reserved so i had no problems getting grps and raids etc....i was lucky.

To the ppl above talking about 'top 5-10 dps in raids'. If u are not in top 3, reroll now back to healing or wotever...coz dps obviously aint for u.

The dead know only one thing; it is better to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFTW
    Druidftl indeed, blizzard has stated that the death knight is meant to be a dps/tank hybrid class, much in the same way a paladin is a healer/tank hybrid class. I'm sure DKs will be up there in the dps scale once more people start playing them, they will at least rise above ret paladins since paladins were not made for dps as a main goal. It's just commone sense, there's no reason to over complicate it. if a pally is high on the dps chart then a DK should rise above retadins at least considering they were made with being a main dps in mind...unlike the paladin. Seriously, just go look in the class section of the official WoW website.
    Bummer. No Improved blessing of might for you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimós
    this guy is such a nob-jockey. And quite blatantly knows cock all about raiding as a dps DK.

@OP. I was an Enh shaman through 60 Wow and TBC, cleared all endgame content (before nerf). After 4 yrs playing enh i left my lovely shaman and decided to try DK because it was a hybrid melee/spell class (same as enh), but with plate armour and some survivability...and ofc...AOE.

Dk is very VERy good dps....the 2 dps DKs in my guild are 1 and 2 on dps meters on 95% of fights. Able to dps up to 6.5k dps in 25mans and AOE like mad on trash and adds fights (hellooo 8k dps on Sartharion!) both as DW and using 2h weapons.
    DK is a great class, however...a word of caution...there are millions of DKs around. If you want to raid endgame it may be difficult to find a guild (unless u already have one with a spot open). I had the dps DK spot in my guild reserved so i had no problems getting grps and raids etc....i was lucky.

To the ppl above talking about 'top 5-10 dps in raids'. If u are not in top 3, reroll now back to healing or wotever...coz dps obviously aint for u.
    It's from 2 and half MONTHS AGO!! No one KNEW about raiding as a DK at that point.. ease up man.