Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best DK tanking weapon

So, in my guild we got some disagreements which weapon from 25man shall go to DK tanks and which is more a dps approach. I currently tanked full 25 man with Titansteel Destroyer, which is clearly not my dream and ultimate goal ingame, so can you help me in that?

Also, I know DW is inferior to 2h tanking, but maybe I should consider respec DW as we got too much drama from our DPS on every 2hander drop? :S

Re: Best DK tanking weapon

I would say Deaths Bite - alot of hit, strenght and stamina (i know, its not 25man but it is ilvl213) playing as Orc the axe give me additional 5 expertise. If i wasnt an orc i would probably be looking for Inevitable Defeat, giving both stamina, strenght, expertise and agility.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39417
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40406

As for DW its Broken Promise in MH and Last Laugh in offhand.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40345
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40402

Deleted

Titansteel Destroyer has already so good stats that it's hard to beat. I was browsing through the Wowhead and the only weapon I'd consider better than Titansteel Destroyer is Inevitable Defeat ( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40406 ). It has lots of strength and stamina. Agility isn't that useful..but it's still a bit more dodge.

Any of the high Str / Stam / Expertise work well for tanking. Atm I am stuck using a Jawbone as Inevitable only seems to drop when I am on my paladin alt.

we gave ours the 3rd betrayer of humanity that dropped.

before that he used inevitable defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by superficial
    we gave ours the 3rd betrayer of humanity that dropped.

before that he used inevitable defeat.
    Dont mention Betrayer please, ret pally got it instead of me :S My soul still hurts ! :S

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie
    Titansteel Destroyer has already so good stats that it's hard to beat. I was browsing through the Wowhead and the only weapon I'd consider better than Titansteel Destroyer is Inevitable Defeat ( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40406 ). It has lots of strength and stamina. Agility isn't that useful..but it's still a bit more dodge.
    Generally my consern is that DK tanks (from my experience) is that my damage makes big bulk of my threat. So generally better top end damage on weapon means more single target aggro for me. Am I failing terribly?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Lyciphur
    Generally my consern is that DK tanks (from my experience) is that my damage makes big bulk of my threat. So generally better top end damage on weapon means more single target aggro for me. Am I failing terribly?
    My DK is still lvl 62 so I don't have any tanking experience with them, I'm just using general wits and my experience as prot paladin. But well, are you having trouble keeping agros then? If not then I still think it'd be better to go for a weapon that gives more avoidance. But if you are having trouble keeping agros then sure, you need to work on that. There's atleast a few abilities that deal 150% weapon damage or similar, and for those a slow weapon with high damage would give a boost.

Well, imo best dk weapon for a non-orc would be inevitable defeat, in 2nd & 3rd place, jawbone & deathsbite.

As for threat, you're right, it comes from damage. We have 2 threat modified spells only, 1) death'n'decay which should be used for aoe threat only (trash) and 2) runestrike

Now runestrike is based on weapon dmg & has a modifier, so yeah, want to get ur dk more tps, get him a new weapon asap.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyciphur
    Dont mention Betrayer please, ret pally got it instead of me :S My soul still hurts ! :S
    There, there. Everything will be alright, son.

Quote Originally Posted by bujaberry
    Well, imo best dk weapon for a non-orc would be inevitable defeat, in 2nd & 3rd place, jawbone & deathsbite.
    Good, I will pass on rest of stuff then.

As for threat, you're right, it comes from damage. We have 2 threat modified spells only, 1) death'n'decay which should be used for aoe threat only (trash) and 2) runestrike

Now runestrike is based on weapon dmg & has a modifier, so yeah, want to get ur dk more tps, get him a new weapon asap.
    I wish more ppl could understand it :S Taunting is sure fun but every fight comes to a point when your taunt is on CD :S

Just stay 2h and get Inevitable Defeat as it is pretty much by and large the best tanking weapon. The expertise and agility etc makes it better than titansteel destroyer easily.

Your GM or whatever should read up on DK mechanics - at the end of the day its intent that matters.

i.e. We have lower prices for "offspec" gear (which tanking is my offspec). I was using Death's Bite, the mace drops and I get it cheaper as my intention was to use for tanking and not dps (which quite frankly I wouldnt anyway as Death's Bite is better for dps).

I personally don't like dw tanking - so if Defeat drops, but go for it. It's not your fault people in your guild dont know how a dk works

Idd, like Sashan said, get your officers or class leaders to read up on DK mechanics. Or if they're still being ignorant find a new guild that understands simple game mechanics.

Just a note about Betrayer, i'd only pick that up if no other dps wanted it. The only fight its useful atm is Malygos, as its very threat sensitive. If you're having aggro issues on other fights, something is wrong. Inevitable defeat all the way \o/

Idd, like Sashan said, get your officers or class leaders to read up on DK mechanics. Or if they're still being ignorant find a new guild that understands simple game mechanics.

Just a note about Betrayer, i'd only pick that up if no other dps wanted it. The only fight its useful atm is Malygos, as its very threat sensitive. If you're having aggro issues on other fights, something is wrong. Inevitable defeat all the way \o/
    +1
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwolf&n=T%C3%ACck

I had Death's Bite until I picked up the Betrayer last week and it was our guilds first drop. Wasn't lucky enough to be in the raid(had to work) when Defeat dropped and hasn't dropped since so am using Betrayer now and loving it.

So the first time the best 2H dps weapon for a DK drops for your guild, they give it to... a tank?

R.I.P: Prefix (T6 Resto Shaman) - DK DPS Compendium
    R.I.P: Valkyr (T4'ish BM Hunter) - UH DPS Compendium

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Prefix
    So the first time the best 2H dps weapon for a DK drops for your guild, they give it to... a tank?
    Why not? The better the tank is geared the easier it is for the whole raid. And DPS is easier to replace than tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Prefix
    the better weapon for dk tank means better threat generation, which, in turn, will mean your raid wont be threat capped. Only my opinion ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie
    Agility is very worth it. As you said, it's more Dodge. DK's are avoidance based tanks, and as such requier as much strength (parry) and Agility (Dodge) as possible. This fuels one of our primary resources for threat. Rune Strike!
    "My rage bar is blue, and I start the fight pissed!" - Battlecry of the Ret Paladin.
    "The best defense is a good offense." - Motto of the Ret Paladin.
    River Below - Billy Talent - Theme Song of the Ret Paladin.

DK Death Strike Tanking
    The Power of Avoidance! - DK Tank Required Reading
    DK AP Coefficients
    DK Threat Values

Aurich von Deathstrike

inevitable defeat is the best dk 2h tanking weapon second woudl be deaths bite