Page 1 of 2
LastLast

tank spec, please rate =)

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...h=000000000000

Havent leveled my bear up yet so not too sure abot most of the skills. is 2 rage cost reduction worth 2 points on lacerate? I assume you just use the enrage o generate rage before a pull so the damae increase would be useless also. thanks for help.

Re: tank spec, please rate =)

are you going to be main tanking?? will there be a pally or dk in your raids? need more information to make a good spec.

Personally I spec like this
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...h=031117020403

Quote Originally Posted by Jagang

Havent leveled my bear up yet so not too sure abot most of the skills. is 2 rage cost reduction worth 2 points on lacerate? I assume you just use the enrage o generate rage before a pull so the damae increase would be useless also. thanks for help.
    Move points (5) out of Master/Natural Shapeshifter. You'll always be bear anyway, so the reduced shift cost does nothing, and the 4% increased damage isn't worth 5 points imo when you can get KotJ. I think you'd be wise to move those five points into Shredding Attacks (reduce your lacerate energy cost to build hate easier), and King of the Jungle. Other than that, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by awake2830
    Move points (5) out of Master/Natural Shapeshifter. You'll always be bear anyway, so the reduced shift cost does nothing, and the 4% increased damage isn't worth 5 points imo when you can get KotJ. I think you'd be wise to move those five points into Shredding Attacks (reduce your lacerate energy cost to build rage easier), and King of the Jungle.
    Moving the 5 points to Naturalist is a better investment. For a straight tank build, you don't need Shredding Attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Martouf
    Moving the 5 points to Naturalist is a better investment. For a straight tank build, you don't need Shredding Attacks.
    Now I'm going to straight up admit I don't have nearly the experience tanking as I do kitty, but I've found Shredding Attacks to be useful in my tanking runs. Not trying to argue, as I'm sure skill outweighs the discussion of these talents, but I've just found it helpful. Five points is a pretty big investment for +4% damage.

Putting 5 points in Naturalist yields 10% (Naturalist, not Master shapeshifter.)

15+ Year Old Account

Take out your points from Natural/Master Shapeshifter, Imp.MotW and Feral Aggression. Put those 8 points into 5/5 Naturalist and 3/3 King of the Jungle. A *much* better choice.

are you going to be main tanking?? will there be a pally or dk in your raids? need more information to make a good spec.

Personally I spec like this
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...h=031117020403
    You're kidding right? If you don't go 3/3 into Imp.Mangle you can just spec out of it altogether. GCDs are 1,5s for bears, period. So you either have Mangle on 6s, with three GCDs in between, or you have it at 4,5s, and you have two. Anything in between is a complete waste of talent points.

I strongly suggest you to spec out of Shredding Attacks and take 3/3 Imp.Mangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Your name and everything it represents is something I hate.

That being said, the specc in the second post is the one I have, glyph of rip excluded. And it's working for me.
    And I have little to none tanking experience....lol

Leveling Build
    this was my leveling build, because there was times i did not tank all the time. this is so i can get in groups as dps or tanking. but once your lv80 you have to lean either toward tanking or dps. but as a tank you probably will drop the following and end up with 0-55-16 build.

Primal Precision
    you will drop this once you have reached 6.5% expertise form gear with out talent. after 6.5% you want just enough +hit you drop your miss rate to about 0 - 1%.

Shredding Attacks
    as a tank you will drop this because shred as a tank spec is useless and for lacerate it is more useless since when you do use lacerate your usually on bosses which give more then enough rage. also once you get 5 stack on lacerate you will switch over to swipe only and only use lacerate to refresh the 5 stack timer. this is do to the fact that lacerate initial threat is about 1200 and each tick is 850ish but a 5 stack ticks for about 4250ish per tick. spamming lacerate will always do initial threat not letting tick threat to kick in. plus if you can tell the difference between 15 rage and 13 rage you have a good sense of rage and you probably already noticed this. this is also why you pick up feral instincts which will give about 1150 threat not as much as lacerate but damn close to it.

King of the Jungle
    as a tank you probably drop this also since you only get a burst damage on enrage you will find this is more of a kitty dps talent then a tanking talent. it is a nice talent but you will find other talents will give more of a consistent increase in damage / threat.

End Build
    if anything you can drop natural & master shapeshifter for feral aggression. for improve demoralizing roar, which is the last of the tanking talents. sure you lose threat but you pick up survival skills better. which does come in handy. but i do well with out feral aggression and can keep up on threat with most main tanks on boss with out taunting. which kind of gets me in trouble because they keep saying stop taunting and i say i am not, the MT needs to produce more threat. because when i get a maul and mangle at the time i jump up to surpass the 110% pulling threat again. i tell them to look at omen closely if i taunt i will end up at same threat as the MT pulling aggro, but i am surpassing the 110% threat form the MT. usually i get this in Vault which i do pug time to time. the raid leaders have it in their head well my friend / guildie can tank you will be his OT. i am like "hmmm ok but be warned i produce good threat. if he cant build his threat i can easily pass him" to avoid this i usually go kitty after producing a good chunk of threat then jump back to bear right before i need to OT. then i laugh at the DPS that end up below me on the meters.

funniest vault memory was a 25 vault i was tank spec still but in dps gear (2k less armor 3-5% less avoidance when i go bear in kitty gear) and was kitty. well the MT & OT ended up dead and i switched into bear and took over. well lets say we finished the job. couple of the healers /tell me saying i did a better job tanking then the MT and OT. i said "lol, i was in dps gear".

My WoW Armory

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

1. Get your expertise from gear
    2. get a prot pally for blessing of sanctuary for rage gen
    3. ALWAYS have your increased damage so not even trigger happy AOE'rs can yank off ya.
    4. ? ? ? ?
    5. Profit

With the constant changes to bear armor I am not willing to use an ability that decreases it, thus increasing incoming damage. Our groups have redunkulous dps. I have MT'd all end game content and have never had a dps ask for a hand of salvation including dps standing in 3 spark stacks on Maly. My melee dps and other tanks can go balls out on Patch and never have to worry about where they are on the threat meters. Get it, try it, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftly
    Shredding Attacks
    as a tank you will drop this because shred as a tank spec is useless and for lacerate it is more useless since when you do use lacerate your usually on bosses which give more then enough rage. also once you get 5 stack on lacerate you will switch over to swipe only and only use lacerate to refresh the 5 stack timer. this is do to the fact that lacerate initial threat is about 1200 and each tick is 850ish but a 5 stack ticks for about 4250ish per tick. spamming lacerate will always do initial threat not letting tick threat to kick in. plus if you can tell the difference between 15 rage and 13 rage you have a good sense of rage and you probably already noticed this. this is also why you pick up feral instincts which will give about 1150 threat not as much as lacerate but damn close to it.

King of the Jungle
    as a tank you probably drop this also since you only get a burst damage on enrage you will find this is more of a kitty dps talent then a tanking talent. it is a nice talent but you will find other talents will give more of a consistent increase in damage / threat.

End Build
    if anything you can drop natural & master shapeshifter for feral aggression. for improve demoralizing roar, which is the last of the tanking talents. sure you lose threat but you pick up survival skills better. which does come in handy. but i do well with out feral aggression and can keep up on threat with most main tanks on boss with out taunting. which kind of gets me in trouble because they keep saying stop taunting and i say i am not, the MT needs to produce more threat. because when i get a maul and mangle at the time i jump up to surpass the 110% pulling threat again. i tell them to look at omen closely if i taunt i will end up at same threat as the MT pulling aggro, but i am surpassing the 110% threat form the MT. usually i get this in Vault which i do pug time to time. the raid leaders have it in their head well my friend / guildie can tank you will be his OT. i am like "hmmm ok but be warned i produce good threat. if he cant build his threat i can easily pass him" to avoid this i usually go kitty after producing a good chunk of threat then jump back to bear right before i need to OT. then i laugh at the DPS that end up below me on the meters.
    1. Correct me if I'm wrong... but Lacerate only does threat on application, not on periodic damage.

2. Feral Aggression... no. Let the warriors in your raid do it, wasted points.

I am 60/11 with KotJ. I tried master shapeshifter, not large enough of a boost for 5 points. Enrage Barkskin Berserk is win.

Quote Originally Posted by arel00
    You're kidding right? If you don't go 3/3 into Imp.Mangle you can just spec out of it altogether. GCDs are 1,5s for bears, period. So you either have Mangle on 6s, with three GCDs in between, or you have it at 4,5s, and you have two. Anything in between is a complete waste of talent points.

I strongly suggest you to spec out of Shredding Attacks and take 3/3 Imp.Mangle.
    Considering I go cat frequently, I think I'll keep shredding attacks. And the imp mangle isn't for tanking.

Considering I go cat frequently, I think I'll keep shredding attacks. And the imp mangle isn't for tanking.
    Imp mangle is awesome for tanking just by the rotation, maul, mangle,maul lacerate...and an occasional FF, DR....It's perfect and whatever tank that choices KOTJ and is a MT...shouldnt be. Healers should kick their arse....why go for dmg that you only get for a few seconds every 1 min, while taking less armor. When you get 4% extra dmg all the time...think about it

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mulciber1261
    Imp mangle is awesome for tanking just by the rotation, maul, mangle,maul lacerate...and an occasional FF, DR....It's perfect and whatever tank that choices KOTJ and is a MT...shouldnt be. Healers should kick their arse....why go for dmg that you only get for a few seconds every 1 min, while taking less armor. When you get 4% extra dmg all the time...think about it
    The only flaw in your reasoning is that that 4% extra damage doesn't come at the price of 3 points, like KotJ, but for 5.
    Besides, if your healers are sweating because you use Enrage on the pull for snap aggro, or in similar situations, then you better change healers.

Martouf: this was about tank specs. If you're picking talents for a hybrid purpose, it's of course perfectly fine, but please state it clearly New people risk being confused about talents' utility if you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

The only flaw in your reasoning is that that 4% extra damage doesn't come at the price of 3 points, like KotJ, but for 5.
    Besides, if your healers are sweating because you use Enrage on the pull for snap aggro, or in similar situations, then you better change healers.

Martouf: this was about tank specs. If you're picking talents for a hybrid purpose, it's of course perfectly fine, but please state it clearly New people risk being confused about talents' utility if you don't.
    I'm totally with Mulciber1261 on this... As far as I am concerned MSS is for tanking and KotJ is for cat... 4% crit to a cat is nothing while a free energy bar is worth it's weight in gold. I have zero issue getting snap aggro with the 10 rage I get when I shift and have never had a boss run past me. And to the person that said enrage+BS... I like my BS for soft enrages, frenzies, ect that a lot of these bosses do so that would be a waste.

If you gear yourself correctly you will have enough expertise to get the job done so no need for primal precision after a certain point of gear. With swipe + Sanctuary Aura I never have a rage issue. That means that a full out tank would have wasted points in nearly any other spot in the tree. The only time I am in cat form is to do dailies and I am dang near 1 shotting those mobs as it is so the extra points in cat talents are still wasted. 4% more damage in bear form = threat. Threat keeps your dps alive. My damage intake and threat output are consistent with skipping KotJ in favor of MSS.

Yeah I suppose I should have explained it a bit more, but that's also why I wanted more info out of the OP

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...h=031011070604

here my tank spec. i also was wondering if Predatory Instincts work in bear or cat only

Quote Originally Posted by NonThinker
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...h=031011070604

here my tank spec. i also was wondering if Predatory Instincts work in bear or cat only
    Cat only

Please note that expertise above 6.5% is actually useful when tanking, because you will be facing the boss. Bosses will have up to 15% parry.
    Taken from wowwiki: A successful parry nullifies the attack (for the attacker it is like a miss) and reduces the swing timer of the defender. It is a passive ability which does not require any action to be used.
    Reduced swing timer = more dmg taken. Therefor primal precision is a VERY nice tanking talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythia
    Please note that expertise above 6.5% is actually useful when tanking, because you will be facing the boss. Bosses will have up to 15% parry.
    Taken from wowwiki: A successful parry nullifies the attack (for the attacker it is like a miss) and reduces the swing timer of the defender. It is a passive ability which does not require any action to be used.
    Reduced swing timer = more dmg taken. Therefor primal precision is a VERY nice tanking talent.
    And the more threat you can build quickly and sustain the harder your dps can go sooner thus negating said extra damage. Very few bosses attack with sufficiently slow speed that the decrease in swing speed gained via a parry would put you in danger of getting gibbed. This isn't tidewalker anymore Kiddos