Thread: noob lock here.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

noob lock here.

I have just finished leveling a lock and looking for some advice on spec. I grinded as demonology and had fun with it, but after hitting 80 I switched to affliction as I was told it was the best raid spec right now. However I am finding that my dps really isn't that fantastic and trying to work out if it is a spec problem or a rotation problem. Obviously as affliction trash is going to suck. So far everything I have done the mobs will die before I have a couple dots up and usually resort to just seed or SB spam. But even long fights my dps just seems unusually low. My gear isn't that terrible, I am hit capped and have a little over 1500 spell damage with just my fel armor.

So I guess my question is... is affliction worth sticking with? and if so, what is a typical rotation for a trash pull, and a boss fight?

If affliction isn't worth sticking with, what would you recommend as a good demon or destro spec?

Current - http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

Re: noob lock here.

If you're going to go affl, make sure you get a dot timer addon. It's a must unless you're asian.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

Usual things.
    If you are hit capped then buff for spell damage. (Flask of frost wyrm and 46 spell dam food as well as a spellstone)

Get a dottimer/quartz addon that helps your casting/latency monitoring

Start with a std rotation of something like SB, haunt, UA, immo, Sl, CoA and SB spam then start refreshing dots etc whenever they run out. Remember to take into account travel time with haunt and precast it so that it doesnt run out.

If you dont have a DK/Boomkin then use CoE instead, and practice on the dummy.

Tbh mate affliction is a great spec and it scales amazingly well with Spell power... But for an easy spec that you dont need to have that kickass spell power for i would go demo or destro. 41/30 or Deep Destro.

Deep Destro is an easy rotation as all it requires is: Immolate - CoA - Conflag - ChaosBolt - Incinerate filler - Conflag - Immolate... repeat.

Glyphs of CoA, Immolate and Conflagrate.. this should put you up to around 2k+ dps with 1.5k sp with fel armour...

More info would be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros
    Tbh mate affliction is a great spec and it scales amazingly well with Spell power... But for an easy spec that you dont need to have that kickass spell power for i would go demo or destro. 41/30 or Deep Destro.

Deep Destro is an easy rotation as all it requires is: Immolate - CoA - Conflag - ChaosBolt - Incinerate filler - Conflag - Immolate... repeat.

Glyphs of CoA, Immolate and Conflagrate.. this should put you up to around 2k+ dps with 1.5k sp with fel armour...

More info would be nice though.
    A level 68 warlock can do almost 2k single target dps, so I don't think telling him that is a good thing lol.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

hahahaha ^^ this guy is tripping balls.

hahahaha ^^ this guy is tripping balls.
    No offense, but telling yourself it isn't possible is the first step in not being able to do it.

Ok mate. I'd love to see these stats you are boasting about. 68 Warlock doing 2k Dps....

Im not saying its impossible.. just the wow community has been misleading me for a long time and i am doing something incredibly wrong then.

Please, display this 2k dps on a 68 warlock you are boasting about.

Ok mate. I'd love to see these stats you are boasting about. 68 Warlock doing 2k Dps....

Im not saying its impossible.. just the wow community has been misleading me for a long time and i am doing something incredibly wrong then.

Please, display this 2k dps on a 68 warlock you are boasting about.
    Well think about it this way. You can do over 1k dps at level 60. Affl doesn't require the same amount of gear as destro needs, so you can pull it off with less stats.

I will have to see if the lock still has his recount from last night.

Hahaha ok mate.

My lock should be hitting 60 by tomorrow (I hope) so I will pm you with it since this is going off topic of the thread

If I don't pm you, it doesn't mean I can't do it, probably just means I forgot or I haven't hit 60 lol.

More Spell Power
    I haven't set foot in a raid in WotLK yet, other than VoA (from which I don't have any pve loot) so all I'm wearing is a combo of PvP, crafted and dungeon gear (and I still have upgrades to get from 5 mans), and I have 2k spell power, just over 10% hit, 8% haste and 19% crit (as affliction).

So yeah, that's my advice, I don't know how much hit you have, but I'm sure most people agree on 10% being about the right number if you have the right class's in your raid.

<3 Affliction

Went through and enchanted my gear and got a few new things. Sitting at 1950 spell dmg. Kinda looking at dest because right now I mainly do 5-mans and affliction is pretty boring just spamming seed the entire time. Are there any realistic builds for dest right now that are popular? I was told conflag and chaos bolt were garbage. But getting mixed messages everywhere I look. :

Hahaha ahh my son. Welcome to the life of AoE Pwnage as a destro lock.

I go 2/13/56 and love it. This is with Shadow Fury, Chaos Bolt, Improved imp. But its mainly common sense. But if i were you i would get the Demonic Aegis talent as it boosts your Sp from Fel Armour by about 200.

Rotation as a deep destro on aoe packs is SoC, RoF, SF, RoF.

Single target is... Immolate - CoA - Conflag - Chaos Bolt - Incinerate (filler) rinse n repeat.

Glyphs of CoA, Immolate, Conflag. I'll link a full tree for you in a tick.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...0&version=9684

Thats a simple one.. obviously with molten core and shit like that.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...0&version=9684

Thats a simple one.. obviously with molten core and shit like that.
    Thanks! Ill give this spec a shot in a couple heroics tonight. Liking the looks of the empowered imp and backdraft... I did not read them previously. With my ~2k spell dmg, and 25% crit what do you think would be a reasonable number on the dps chart? I only have 4.5% haste right now which I think might be the downfall of this build, but I am working on improving that right now since i am over hit cap.

Im Guessing that 2k sp is with fel armour active? On trash of around 3mobs+ you will be doing around 4k dps.... I have 2.1k sp, 12% haste, hit capped, 20% crit and i do 5k dps on aoe and 3k dps in 5mans.

In raid environments i do ~4k dps. You should see around 2.5k dps with your stats, until you get used to rotation and then you should see it go up quite abit XD

Those numbers are single target and AoE. To make it more clear let me post it this way.

5 Mans
    Single Target bosses: around 2.5k+
    AoE: 3.5k+

10m Raids:
    Aoe 4.5k+
    Single Target: 3k+

25m Raids:
    AoE: 5k+
    Single Target: 3.5k+

Make sure you are hit capped. And apart from that you're stats are very nice.

Yes hit cap was my first priority. I am at 17.5% right now (that's including the 3% from talent). I believe the link you posted was from the PTR calculator but I made the adjustments that seem to make sense and off to test it now.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IbZfxc0cZVcGVr0uVoAcst