Thread: Balance Druids.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Balance Druids.

Yeah, Ive been playing my druid for a long time, gotten her into a nice guild and everything, but I sometimes jsut do crap for deeps, even though Im in decent gear. Any other druids have the same problem? I mean, Im in all Epics, and a Balance Druid, but I dont run out of mana, and I dont normally pull aggro, I just do bad dps sometimes. So Id like some help with my rotation and such and my glyphs, if anyone would like to help me. :P. Thanks.
    Naocho: 100 Worgen Druid - Eldre'Thalas
    Naocho's Armory

Re: Balance Druids.

Moonkins are very RNG dependent in both proccing eclipse and getting crits during it. Some bad luck can ruin your dps. The rotation you should be using is somewhere along the lines of
    iFF->MF->IS->W till eclipse->Spam SF (i put up MF if it falls when there is over 6sec on eclipse).

1. You refresh dots right >AFTER< they fall off during non eclipsed periods.

2. Make sure your getting lunar eclipse.

3. Make sure you time your trents correctly, so they dont get owned by AoE.

4. there are like a million threads on this forum about how to DPS as a moonkin, read them so you understand what you should be doing.

On live i think MF,IS,SF glyph are best. Also don't use colored font it just makes you look silly.

Once Elendur of Arthas.

Also what exactly is "low damage" for you a general idea of how much you put out and what you expect to put out would help a lot. A WWS would really give us something to work with in order to find out what the reason for your low damage may be.
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

15+ Year Old Account

Well, I am hitcapped, I raid with a couple draenei and Im always near em. But I dont have the time for that cloak, I would really like to get it, but i just need to get the Dying curse then I will change up my gear.
    Naocho's Armory

As for Balance dps, I am usually top dps in raids (if not beaten by those crazy mages or rogues "pure dps") and I agree with most of the stuff that has been said in this thread except for a couple things.

1. Right now I prefer to be passively hitcapped, you may not always have a shadow priest with you and shouldn't have a draenei with you if your are on the right side :P So I'm sticking with 342 hit until 3.1 comes out. Right now IFF only lasts for 40 seconds and keeping it up is a pain in the butt and could cause issues. 3.1 is making IFF 5 minutes long and then I'll be fine dropping the 78 hit or so that it makes up for on boss fights.

2. Spirit is definately not a crap stat for moonkins. Spirit gives both regen and sp power. There is a lot of good gear out there that includes spirit and allows you not to go oom (better dps) and increases your sp power (better dps). 3.1 is nerfing OOMP5 regen from spirit, but since you should always be casting something and they are buffing intensity that shouldn't affect us much.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbluedruid
    As for Balance dps, I am usually top dps in raids (if not beaten by those crazy mages or rogues "pure dps") and I agree with most of the stuff that has been said in this thread except for a couple things.

1. Right now I prefer to be passively hitcapped, you may not always have a shadow priest with you and shouldn't have a draenei with you if your are on the right side :P So I'm sticking with 342 hit until 3.1 comes out. Right now IFF only lasts for 40 seconds and keeping it up is a pain in the butt and could cause issues. 3.1 is making IFF 5 minutes long and then I'll be fine dropping the 78 hit or so that it makes up for on boss fights.

2. Spirit is definately not a crap stat for moonkins. Spirit gives both regen and sp power. There is a lot of good gear out there that includes spirit and allows you not to go oom (better dps) and increases your sp power (better dps). 3.1 is nerfing OOMP5 regen from spirit, but since you should always be casting something and they are buffing intensity that shouldn't affect us much.
    While I agree that mp5 won't be changing much, I have one thing to point at:

Intellect.

Intellect scales with Kings and Furor/Improved Mark of the Wild, and Blessing of Kings. Higher Intellect gives you a higher return on Replenishment, more crit rating, higher return on Moonkin Form's mana return, Spellpower from Lunar Guidance, and mana directly from Dreamstate.

Intellect > Spirit, in any way, shape or form. Any spirit on your current gear is a bonus but it's not something you should go looking for.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Cateaka
    Well, I am hitcapped, I raid with a couple draenei and Im always near em. But I dont have the time for that cloak, I would really like to get it, but i just need to get the Dying curse then I will change up my gear.
    If you don't have the "time" to throw together a couple of easy mats for a decent upgrade, then you deserve the terrible DPS you're doing.

15+ Year Old Account

Hell, my dps sits at 3.7k in 25 mans, I just needed some help on my glyphs and spec, but Im happy now, so stop the arguing please, thanks for the people that helped. Also, to the woman/man up there that said they are top dps, you probably have best in slot everything.
    Naocho's Armory

Spirit only gives regen if either you've got Intensity or you spend time outside FSR. Most Balance druids don't take any regen talents other than OOC once they get decent gear - you just don't need them.

As for the SP from Spirit, it's comparable to the crit from Int (1 Spr = 0.15 SP, 1 Int = 0.28 Crit rating).

As such Int is much more useful to Balance druids compared to Spr - take Spr where it's free on gear you'd get anyway, but don't go searching for it (or even take it on socket bonuses IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Wow please do not gear yourself like this guy. IFF is one of your strongest talents reguardless if you have a shadow priest or not. And if you have a feral druid in raid 3% crit is hard to pass up. Also think of raid benefits too, raiding isnt just about you, its about the raid. So if you dont have a feral druid you should be applying faerie fire, it will increase the physical dps, and is well worth the gcd. So since FF should be on the target if your in a raid you might as well spec into it, and gear for it accordingly.

Hell, my dps sits at 3.7k in 25 mans, I just needed some help on my glyphs and spec, but Im happy now, so stop the arguing please, thanks for the people that helped. Also, to the woman/man up there that said they are top dps, you probably have best in slot everything.
    whats your point. If hes raiding with his guild, and pulling top DPS then they most likely have BiS everything too. Or at least dam close to that. On that note, as moonkin who is relatively undergeared (only like 10 BiS) in a guild who has basically BiS everything i am pulling ~7th (+1 or -1 based on how much eclipse hates me). Moonkins are definitly capable of pulling first due to the amount of dmg they can do on the move, and some eclipse love.

On a side note bigblue if you are beating mages/locks i suggest you find new mages and locks. Also if you don't have a SP you should be putting up IFF for the raid and not just worrying about getting hit capped yourself, that is just a way of deflating other ppls dps due to laziness. Oh and spirit is the worst dps stat for a moonkin.

stat priority:
    (hit untilcapped)->SP->haste->crit->intel->spirit

Once Elendur of Arthas.

15+ Year Old Account

Well, the thing is though that I dont have all the good gear, my guild goes by dkp and I cant really get all the things I really want. Like, If I got the Dying Curse and my Four set bonus on my t7.5 I would see a huge dps increase, but until I get the Dying Curse, Im just going to be about fourth on the charts. A Mage, Shaman, and sometimes a Pally/rogue goes higher than me on the charts, but thats just because they are in full Valorous and have either The Turning Tide, Torch of Holy Fire, or the Sinister Revenge/Webbed Death. So I would be behind them by far, seeing as how Im only using a mace from 10 man EoE.

Also, on the shadow priest comment, I always use the iFF even if there is a Spriest in the raid. It just boost raid overall, and seeing as how a good PvE boomkin would always have it up, I constantly have it up.

Another thing, the 2pc and 4pc set bonus on the t8 sets are probably one of the most over powered things in the game at the moment, I really wish I could get my hands on it, but I hardly think it will happen.

Well, either way Nanite, hope you can at least reason with me on a good rotation and a good set of gear/stats.
    Naocho's Armory

15+ Year Old Account

Also, on the shadow priest comment, I always use the iFF even if there is a Spriest in the raid. It just boost raid overall, and seeing as how a good PvE boomkin would always have it up, I constantly have it up.
    Do you have a feral druid in the raid? If so, the improved faerie fire is worthless.

Two points: If there is a shadow priest in the raid, IFF does not give any raid boost. They do not stack.

As for the 3% crit on the tooltip. That's for you only, and not the raid. If a feral druid puts up faerie fire, it will trigger your 3% crit bonus.

I welcome you to Owlkin.org, a place where myself and others have posted many suggestions/raiding tips/etc. It's a new community but hopefully with people such as yourself we'll be able to start up a lot of conversation.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre
    I welcome you to Owlkin.org, a place where myself and others have posted many suggestions/raiding tips/etc. It's a new community but hopefully with people such as yourself we'll be able to start up a lot of conversation.
    Im sorry to tell you, but Im already signed up to a website like that. SOrry. : /

On that, I do have the feral druid, but he is a tank, so it is MY job to do the iFF every time its down. Aswell as the Spriest, my guild has both me and two spriests, so I think we're good to go with the guild. But hell, either way, I got what information I wanted, and I thank the person that gave me it. THanks guys.
    Naocho's Armory

Im sorry to tell you, but Im already signed up to a website like that. SOrry. : /

On that, I do have the feral druid, but he is a tank, so it is MY job to do the iFF every time its down. Aswell as the Spriest, my guild has both me and two spriests, so I think we're good to go with the guild. But hell, either way, I got what information I wanted, and I thank the person that gave me it. THanks guys.
    Feral Faerie Fire adds pretty nicely to a bear's threat on demand. Also, a Shadow Priest bringing misery negates your raid's need for Improved Faerie Fire; you still get your 3% crit from a Feral's FF.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

Kelesti, I like your point, but I've really never had any complaints about the iFF and the Misery from the Spriests either. Though, the Feral Tank I run with hasn't said anything about it either, so I'll keep it up. Thanks for the help, and maybe sometime it will change, but till then I will continue to use my iFF. .
    Naocho's Armory

Kelesti, I like your point, but I've really never had any complaints about the iFF and the Misery from the Spriests either. Though, the Feral Tank I run with hasn't said anything about it either, so I'll keep it up.
    Not sure if you misunderstood but you won't ever get any complaints as they'll never notice; Kelesti's point is that it's useless to cast FF if you've got both a shadow priest and a feral druid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    Not sure if you misunderstood but you won't ever get any complaints as they'll never notice; Kelesti's point is that it's useless to cast FF if you've got both a shadow priest and a feral druid.
    just to clarify its useless to cast but that doesn't mean that iFF is useless, you still gain the 3% crit from the feral. So iFF is good to spec into under all cases. If you dont have a SP it gives 3% hit to raid/3% crit to you. If you have a feral it gives passive 3%crit. if you just have a SP it gives the melee armor pen which is a dps increase.
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

In addition to what some people here already told you, the 2 most import things are to get a chaotic skyflare meta gem and 2 blue/violet gems to activate and get the T7 set-bonus. If you don't have enough DKP get the 10 man version because these are better than any other random epic for that slot.
    The 5% crit Bonus from T7 is a must have.
    As long as you don't have the T7 Bonus don't favor haste over crit!
    Pretty much any website and Moonkin will tell you that haste is more important than crit on a point-for-point or percent basis. This is basically true, but you also need a certain amount auf crit to proc eclipse frequently. The mistake many players make is sacrifying 4-5% crit (or even worse spellpower) for 2-3% haste on their on gear. This is just wrong, espcially if you don't have the T7 Bonus. With 4 x T7 items you get a decent and amount of crit, haste, hit and spellpower plus the amazing bonus. When you have it you can start replacing other items to get more haste or crit but you should always try do balance them.

Also too much haste can be pretty bad if you play on a laggy server (like I do) or you have low FPS. In that case crit is often more useful.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Grisan
    In addition to what some people here already told you, the 2 most import things are to get a chaotic skyflare meta gem and 2 blue/violet gems to activate and get the T7 set-bonus. If you don't have enough DKP get the 10 man version because these are better than any other random epic for that slot.
    The 5% crit Bonus from T7 is a must have.
    As long as you don't have the T7 Bonus don't favor haste over crit!
    Pretty much any website and Moonkin will tell you that haste is more important than crit on a point-for-point or percent basis. This is basically true, but you also need a certain amount auf crit to proc eclipse frequently. The mistake many players make is sacrifying 4-5% crit (or even worse spellpower) for 2-3% haste on their on gear. This is just wrong, espcially if you don't have the T7 Bonus. With 4 x T7 items you get a decent and amount of crit, haste, hit and spellpower plus the amazing bonus. When you have it you can start replacing other items to get more haste or crit but you should always try do balance them.

Also too much haste can be pretty bad if you play on a laggy server (like I do) or you have low FPS. In that case crit is often more useful.
    With that, I know I need the T7.5 Bonus, Its a great bonus, but I don't have the DKP to get the pieces for them. Or else I would've had it by now. THe other thing is that I need the Dying Curse, and the T7.5 Shoulders and gloves.

Aswell, on the Haste to crit ratio, Haste is ALWAYS over crit. The more haste you have, the faster you can cast, and the faster you can cast, has a higher chance to crit, soo Haste always goes over Crit.

And Nanite, If you think that I should stop using my iFF, Ill stop and tell the Spriest to do it instead.
    Naocho's Armory