Hit Cap question

I know that spell hit cap is 342(draenie) as long as you have a shadow priest or properly specced boomkin, of which you will generally find in a 25man. My question is as follows:
    In a 10man raid without a sp or moonkin, would it be beneficial to drop damage stats for more hit?

Re: Hit Cap question

I would think so. I hung on to my grim toll to swap in that scenario. If I remember right it's right at 3% spell hit.

Quote Originally Posted by dashaus
    I know that spell hit cap is 342(draenie) as long as you have a shadow priest or properly specced boomkin, of which you will generally find in a 25man. My question is as follows:
    In a 10man raid without a sp or moonkin, would it be beneficial to drop damage stats for more hit?
    Are you talking enhance or ele?

For ele:
    342 is BEFORE a SP or Boomkin. You need ~261 for you to be spell hit capped if you are a Spacegoat.

Regaurdless of your spec, it is always good to keep an extra item or 2 in your inventory for if you need that extra hit. Grim toll, Dying Curse, The cloth Valor Badges belt, Haunting call, idk about any other enhance items, but I have all 3 of those in my ele shammy's bags just in case.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by tiimmy
    Are you talking enhance or ele?
    It doesn't matter - Enh and Ele both have to top the spell cap hit requirement. And I thought it was 342 after boomkin/s.priest.

Quote Originally Posted by tiimmy
    For ele:
    342 is BEFORE a SP or Boomkin. You need ~261 for you to be spell hit capped if you are a Spacegoat.

Edited: Yeah, just double checked and 341 hit rating is indeed [after] you get the draenei 1% bonus and the 3% bonus from Boomkin/S.priest.

I always thought the 342 was after Draenei racial but before anything else.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DDragonace
    I always thought the 342 was after Draenei racial but before anything else.
    342 is after both the Draenei 1% and either the boomkin or s.priest 3% hit bonus. And you need that hit cap for both Elemental and Enhancement specs.

Shaman Spell Hit (including 3% from Ele talents):

Unbuffed with SP/Boomkin
    Alliance 342 (13%) 263 (10%)
    Horde 368 (14%) 289 (11%)

As far as dropping stats to get hit capped, it depends on what stats and how many. Are you talking dropping 50 SP to pick up 5% Hit? Generally, in a 10 man raid, I will still run around 297 (current gear), without many problems. If you are going hardcore progression, then yes, get hit capped. Its really a personal preference, and no one here can tell you exactly what to do. Best thing I could say is go do 2-5 seperate 3-5 minute cycles on the boss target dummy in each set of gear and see what the DPS difference is. I would generally say you want to shoot for 300+ hit rating in a 10 man, but that is a personal pref (I do not have the best RNG luck, so when I lower my hit, my luck I'll always miss my Flame Shock which REALLY drops my DPS)

Quote Originally Posted by cubby
    It doesn't matter - Enh and Ele both have to top the spell cap hit requirement. And I thought it was 342 after boomkin/s.priest.
    The difference is ele gets 3% from talents and enhancement doesn't. We literally stack 14% spell hit of pure hit rating whereas ele only has to hit 11%.

Wow I'm such a dummy, I am an enhancement shaman! It's hard to post at work when I have to guzzle my food at the same time!

Yea the dilemma is that I don't have much luck with drops/rolling so I don't exactly have much gear to switch around(if any). Any increase in hit would come from gems/enchants, and thanks to 3.1 I get to drop some expertise gems/enchants for other stats, SO is hit that stat I need to shoot for since I generally don't have the luxury of a free 3% hit?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by dashaus
    Wow I'm such a dummy, I am an enhancement shaman! It's hard to post at work when I have to guzzle my food at the same time!

Yea the dilemma is that I don't have much luck with drops/rolling so I don't exactly have much gear to switch around(if any). Any increase in hit would come from gems/enchants, and thanks to 3.1 I get to drop some expertise gems/enchants for other stats, SO is hit that stat I need to shoot for since I generally don't have the luxury of a free 3% hit?
    If you are not getting 3% hit from moonkin or shadow priest then yes you should be getting 3% hit from other sources before you look at other stats. Remember of course that other buffs can play their part. eg: Food buffs, Elixirs etc. You can cover most of it from those two.

Thank you levva