Thread: BoE's and pugs?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

BoE's and pugs?

So, I was healing H UK for the daily. A BoE trinket that I've been wanting and searching the AH for, drops. I asked them if I could have it because I was going to equip it and use it. They just kind of "lol"ed, and, well, needed. Is this a normal thing? Because generally if something drops and someone needs it, it goes to them. BoE, whatever. Grats on the upgrade and not having to spend a ton of money. I find it somewhat rude that their so needy for gold they won't let someone get an upgrade. This is the FIRST time I've ever seen a group that blatantly rude. I've always let someone have it if they need it. :/

So, thoughts? Like, is this normal? I've never seen that happen.

Re: BoE's and pugs?

Etiquette is split on this subject. Half of the people say that anything BoE is all-need for the AH, and the other say that it's just like any other drop and need before greed.

Ive seen it happen before, but it doesnt make the people who did it to you less of dbags.

If you go in an instance, youre all looking for drops, if something drops that is an upgrade, bop or boe, you need it, and use it.

Im guessing it was Jetzes Bell that dropped and the other people in your group saw the potential 5000 gold from the ah and decided it was worth being a jerk over.

Quote Originally Posted by DruidFTW
    Ive seen it happen before, but it doesnt make the people who did it to you less of dbags.

If you go in an instance, youre all looking for drops, if something drops that is an upgrade, bop or boe, you need it, and use it.

Im guessing it was Jetzes Bell that dropped and the other people in your group saw the potential 5000 gold from the ah and decided it was worth being a jerk over.
    Yeah, it was. goes for like 7k where I am. I'm just totally baffled. It may be the final blow to me NEVER puging again.

They key is in the title, 'BOE's' + 'PUG's'.

Although generally speaking, ive found most people would have let you take it as an upgrade (and probably inspected you to make sure you equipped it) but hey, some people might think that 5000g is worth the hassle.
    There is no agro reset..

I never had this problem in a PUG.

Even had Je'Tze's Bell drop once in UK and the druidhealer got it from a need, everyone else greeded.

Obv, there are people who would ninja it and need but the general oppinion seems to be that if it´s useful for you go ahead and need, if not greed.

The main issue is the lack of honest people. For just as many that say they need and actually need it as an upgrade there is just as many needing then AH'ing it. Shortly put - just because you say you're going to equip it doesn't mean that you will.

For example I know some idiot paladin in my guild who "needed" this over a resto druid whilst going ret, said holy was his mainspec, won and then was AH'ing it. The druid complained and we told him it was a cough up to the druid or we boot you from the guild (the druid happened to be a friend of the GM's... small world)

So yeah - you can get 5-6k gold off an item that people can lie about. In a pug I'm rolling, and if I win I'd sell it at a reasonable price personally.

15+ Year Old Account

Blacklist the people you ran with. That sort of behaviour is rude and unappreciated. But you will sometimes bump into absolute cockblocks who care more about getting gold to feed their own selfish in-game ambitions than consider that another player may actually benefit from something.

This is why if I ever run pugs I make sure that a. the people coming have at least a standard of gear and a viable spec (armory); and b. that they understand how loot works (ie. my mage is an enchanter so I explain that I will be rolling greed on boss drops; with my DK I ask if there is an enchanter present before the run commences, etc.).

You can't filter out all of the douchebags in a pugging environment but you can choose to never pug with them again.
    For the Alliance!

If it was Je'Tze's Bell, I don't think any pug ever would let you win that without a fair roll-off =/

I don't quite agree with you.

Imagine the following situation:

2 people have potential need for a boe item. One of them already has bought it expensively from die AH, they other not. Now it drops. Is it fair that the one not having spent the gold/time on farming the one doesn't get a chance of refunding through an AH sell?

It's kinda like drops in a raid when you face the decision between a fair distribution of items (like dkp, even with its flaws) and just giving it to the one with the worst item in that slot, since it would be the biggest upgrade for the raid. But this would reward those people who are slacking outside of your raid. It's really not that clear a decision.

We live in a capitalist society, people get conditioned to think like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn
    Blacklist the people you ran with. That sort of behaviour is rude and unappreciated. But you will sometimes bump into absolute cockblocks who care more about getting gold to feed their own selfish in-game ambitions than consider that another player may actually benefit from something.

This is why if I ever run pugs I make sure that a. the people coming have at least a standard of gear and a viable spec (armory); and b. that they understand how loot works (ie. my mage is an enchanter so I explain that I will be rolling greed on boss drops; with my DK I ask if there is an enchanter present before the run commences, etc.).

You can't filter out all of the douchebags in a pugging environment but you can choose to never pug with them again.
    If you think about it, you're being a selfish dbag too. Because instead of letting X get Y about of gold, you get the item and save Y amount of gold. It can go either way.

If its a PuG I'm not gonna pass a BoE epic, with the amount of fags who will just AH it
    If its for a friend or guildie then np passing since I know they'll equip

When im pugging its need if need and greed if greed, these guys obiously didn't NEED it, like you did.

I would put them on my ignore list, tell people they're ninjas and be happy.

Personally I'd say everyone should roll need in this case. The fact of the matter is, its a 5k+ item that dropped by pure chance. You did not run the heroic for that specific item, the fact that it dropped was luck, and luck alone. Why should you be the only one to benifit from that massive amount of luck?

In Naxx this would have been a different case.

It would depend on the run, and other circumstances.

If I see that 3 people besides myself and the healer have greeded, I would pass and let the healer take as an upgrade.

If anybody else has needed other than the healer, I would then go ahead and roll on it, if I were to win, would probably gbank the item.

Basically "Let somebody else cast the first stone"

How is immune?

It's a pug, you don't know these people, why should you care about them, really?

And I think the ones that demand the loot for themselves are greedy for not wanting to share the drop.

Besides fair chance at 3k gold+ > one dude you do not know getting a better trinket.

Totally agree with Dizzygnome, it's just pure luck that it dropped and everyone deserves a chance to get lucky

I only pass boe epics for guildies or friends if i don't know them why should i care ? .. blues they may have but epics no way because its a world drop and it could have dropped for me alone at the same time. Maybe i can use it on my alts or sell it for cheap to a guildie.

People are just greedy.

In my opinion, rolling need on an item should only be done if you do actually need the item in question and will use it, not just because you feel it can make you a quick buck on the Auction House.

If you do not need the item them just roll greed or pass, it's common courtesy really, which sadly a lot of people lack these days.

I blame the parents really.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

once a boe epic shield drop while tanking at lower level.
    needless to say no one else needed it, and I wanted to use it directly. If they would've wanted it for money I'd have gotten the fuck out. It's been like that always, never had any greedy clowns but I guess I've just been lucky.

Otherwise I'd have found a comprimise so everyone would have gotten some profit from turning it over. I'd probably still hearthstone and spit on them though. :P

(I'm playing horde on an old high populated euro pvp server btw)
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

Quote Originally Posted by Swedishcow123
    Totally agree with Dizzygnome, it's just pure luck that it dropped and everyone deserves a chance to get lucky
    Well I think you would have different opinion if item you want and need would drop and someone else rolled on it because it is boe.

Need - you need item
    Greed - you dont need item
    Pass - pass

If you need something you cant use, then you are fu*** ninja and I dont mind if it is pug or not. I would report all those retards in that instance to their gms. Me as GM would get assured that you get it back or I would gkick those morons needing on items which they cant use.