Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Feral Druids - the Bear guide

Agility, stick with it. Or the Shifting Agi/Stam mostly for blue sockets with good bonuses.

The nerf was only "useful" to equalize the usefulness of tanking stats, mostly for the tanks who use more than one. We kinda got the short hand of the stick on this one, but the nerf isn't all that noticeable. Plus, it just means you need more Agility now, which should be all the more reason to gem it all the way (meta requirements being the exclusion to that).

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Selverein
    Agility, stick with it. Or the Shifting Agi/Stam mostly for blue sockets with good bonuses.

The nerf was only "useful" to equalize the usefulness of tanking stats, mostly for the tanks who use more than one. We kinda got the short hand of the stick on this one, but the nerf isn't all that noticeable. Plus, it just means you need more Agility now, which should be all the more reason to gem it all the way (meta requirements being the exclusion to that).
    yeah when 3.2 hit i lost 2% dodge, which is hardly significant. Infact its like i never lost anything due to all the sexy epics been thrown at me by blizzrd.

There is actually no definite answer on Stam vs agi that will fit all situations.

When gearing up and gemming, stamina should actually be your primary concern *until* you have enough of it. Then go with agility.

There are 3 scenarios.

1) If you find yourself getting burst down too much in your current raiding content either because of high magical dmg OR too much incoming phys dmg, then you need more stamina. Obv, agility does nothing against magical dmg. Equally, if a boss hits you so hard and fast that you can't live a few seconds without a heal, then you need more stamina (and armor). You might think, well if I have more agility, i'll be able to dodge more phys dmg but that is wrong: just like any tank will cover his ass by becoming crit immune, you want to cover your ass with being "dodge immune"; i.e. be able to survive a string of unlucky hits with no dodge.

2) Conversely, if you have so much stamina but so very little agility that your healers find themselves going OOM healing you, then you need more mitigation/avoidance. Further increasing your stamina will do absolutely nothing for you here. However, it should be noted that this situation really doesn't happen much since healer mana pools and regen are pretty strong right now in almost every raid setting.

3) If you find yourself taking too much burst AND your healers are running oom at the same time, then you should find another tank. Your overall gear lvl is insufficient for the content you are raiding.

Personal experience: My guild has 6/9 hardmodes in 25 and we defeated algalon in my 10 man group. In the middle of our Ulduar progression, I was happy with 45k HP fully buffed. My gear had a mix of agi/stam in it with an agility slant. When we started tacklin more bursty bosses (such as Algalon or Iron coucil HM) I decided to up my stamina a little. Epic gmes came in handy and I'm now sitting at just over 50k HP.

Note1:It also helps to keep different items in your inventory for when you need more avoidance, or more HP, or more threat.

Note2: Regarding agility and threat, agility is one of the worst threat stats we have. A while back I tested it in rawr and regemming full agi vs full stamina only gave me a tps increase of less than 1.5%. If your threat is bad, check your talents (imp mangle and master shapeshifter) and sub in items with more threat stats, expertise in particular.

Note3: If you keep your stamina high enough and forget about the agility freaks for a moment, you will also be able to use less external CDs to survive bursts. Ex: Mimiron's plasma blast, or Vezax's Surge of darkness. This puts you more in control of your ability to survive through those events and requires one less action from your healers. Barksin + SI, and Barkskin + glyphed FR + agi trinket can cover the 1st and 3rd burst of a three CD rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by rated
    yeah when 3.2 hit i lost 2% dodge, which is hardly significant. Infact its like i never lost anything due to all the sexy epics been thrown at me by blizzrd.
    I had about the same, but using the Idol of Mutilation made up for that entirely for me anyway.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Goodge
    There is actually no definite answer on Stam vs agi that will fit all situations.

When gearing up and gemming, stamina should actually be your primary concern *until* you have enough of it. Then go with agility.

Partially quoted to avoid a second wall, but I kept you whole post in mind.

In short, it's up to good sense and your raid needs. As you noticed, there are actually two fights where stamina is extremely stronger, Algalon and Steelbreaker HM. I've found, as you did, that on the rest (including other hardmodes) a set of agility, agility/stamina gemming performs the best.

For a more "accurate" answer, we'll need two week time. That is, until Anub'arak dies and we start seeing Coliseum heroic mode.

To sum it up: unless you're a MT for hardmode groups, agility is the best setup*granted that you have a decent health pool*. For cutting edge fights, stamina is better (2 fights now). For progression into the unknown, stamina helps.
    However, my personal opinion, mind it, it's an opinion, is to keep gemming for agility / agility-stamina. It is very likely that a hardmode tank can mirror items and have a stamina set. I do, and I'm not even that uber on progression either :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Re: Feral Druids - The Current BiS tanking weapon? 3.2

I took into account the BiS Ulduar hardmode weapons for BiS tanking, but ever since the new raid, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what the -new- BiS tanking weapon would be. There are currently two that I am looking at. Here is a link from WOWHEAD: http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=47302;47329

The weapon names are Twin's Pact and Hellion Glaive. I personally believe Hellion Glaive would be more suitable for a tanking weapon, and Twin's Pact to be more along the lines of a BiS for kitty dps. Any thoughts?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Feral Druids - The Current BiS tanking weapon? 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by numufu
    I took into account the BiS Ulduar hardmode weapons for BiS tanking, but ever since the new raid, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what the -new- BiS tanking weapon would be. There are currently two that I am looking at. Here is a link from WOWHEAD: http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=47302;47329

The weapon names are Twin's Pact and Hellion Glaive. I personally believe Hellion Glaive would be more suitable for a tanking weapon, and Twin's Pact to be more along the lines of a BiS for kitty dps. Any thoughts?
    I'm currently working on a new gear compilation for T9 level loot. I hope to be able to add it very soon.

Regarding your link, Hellion Glaive beats the other, hands down. Crit is MUCH more efficient as a tank stat than Haste.

I have a question for you more seasons Feral Tanks out there. I have been raiding mainly as Cat because my guild usually has 2 pally tanks and a warrior that show up. Lately I have had to tank more, and I'm curious at what my stats should be like.

Since I have my cat gear equipped on the armory atm, I shall link out my gear that I can remember off the top of my head.

Head Peice (Meta, Red, Enchant)
    Neck Peice
    Shoulders (Red, but Blue, Enchant)
    Cloak (Enchant)
    Chest Peice (Red, Blue, Enchant
    Bracers (Red, but Blue, Enchant)
    Weapon (Enchant)
    Idol
    Gloves (Yellow, but Blue, Enchant)
    Belt (Belt Buckle with Red)
    Legguards (Blue, Yellow, but Blue, Enchant)
    Boots (Blue, Enchant)
    Ring 1 Yes I know Parry is useless, but lack of others.
    Ring 2 (Blue) Yes I know Parry is useless, but lack of others.
    Trinket 1
    Trinket 2

Spec
    Glyph 1
    Glyph 2
    Glyph 3

Ok, I probably spent way to much time making that but there it is.

I seem to have major Rage and threat issues, I have tried stacking more stamina so I will have lower dodge, but even then I run out and the DPS overcomes me. Anyone else notice that? I think I sit at 48k hp with around 42% dodge and 44% crit fully buffed. I never really have to MT, but on other various fights I am having major issues. I am not sure what I am doing wrong to be honest.

I use Maul every attack I can, Mangle and Faerie Fire (Feral) everytime they are up. I stack my Lacerate to 5 and refresh it everytime.
    When they are all on CD I use Swipe to keep my Proc of Idol of Mutilation up at all times.

I don't know what to do, I have read everything on these forums and tried everything I can think of but I can't seem to hold threat. Is it just that the DPS is to good, and should hold back or what? I usually see my TPS to be between 6.5 and 7.5k according to Omen.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

I spent to much time on this, and probably made it way more detailed that it had to be, but I am trying to do the best I can.

Stacking more Stamina isn't the answer to your problem, really. Dodging is a good thing even if it ends up giving you less rage and I still advocate to stack Agi rather than Stam.

The biggest issue I see with your gear is that you are still using a Naxx 25 weapon while the rest of your gear is mostly Uld-level. If you're tanking in ToC, that means your weapon is effectively 2 tiers of content old and it simply can't do the job anymore (unless your DPS is poorly geared but that doesn't seem to be the case from what you say).

So, it may not be very good advice cause you're still relying on RNG but try to get one of these: Twisted Visage from XT 25, Tortured Earth from Vezax 10 Hardmode, Lotrafen from Vezax 25. I think a weapon upgrade alone would solve your problem, do not underestimate the awesomeness of Feral AP. In the meanwhile, if you have shitty luck in Uld you can try to get Marrowstrike from H ToC 5-man.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Telaso
    I seem to have major Rage and threat issues, I have tried stacking more stamina so I will have lower dodge, but even then I run out and the DPS overcomes me. Anyone else notice that? I think I sit at 48k hp with around 42% dodge and 44% crit fully buffed. I never really have to MT, but on other various fights I am having major issues. I am not sure what I am doing wrong to be honest.
    What are your hit and expertise at? They can be major factors. Also, I agree with Selverein -- stam stacking is not the answer. Agi gives more crit (for more threat + rage back) and even dodging gives you rage.

Also, Idol of the Corruptor (vezax / conq badges) would be better if you're having threat issues -- 153 agi is much better than 200 dodge rating.

Hit is around 250 I believe, with expertise around 25. I have Lotrafen for my DPS set with Beserker on it. Again I don't usually have to tank, but I figure if I have to I should try to do better.

Your saying I should put 34 agi gems to replace my 51 stamina gems then?

15+ Year Old Account

Hit is around 250 I believe, with expertise around 25. I have Lotrafen for my DPS set with Beserker on it. Again I don't usually have to tank, but I figure if I have to I should try to do better.
    Those numbers should be okay, hm.

Yeah, especially the bracer and shoulder gems -- why have a blue gem in a red socket, where the bonus is stam?  I'm not saying you need to go full agi everywhere with zero stam, but if you have "enough" stam, fill in some gems with agi or stam/agi.  You should be fine with quite a bit less HP -- 43-45k raid buffed, depending on the fight -- unless you're main tanking some specific hardmodes.

Edit: One other thing -- make sure your rogues and hunters know you're offtanking, and make sure they're not being lazy.  Misdirects and tricks of the trade can be great help if people start to catch up.  If you aren't a usual tank or aren't the MT, the rogues/hunters may not realize that you'd like them.

15+ Year Old Account

It is a bit hard to tell from just all the links, but I think I got a rough idea. I'd suggest you two things, both already stated. One is to gem for less stamina and more agility, you really don't need all that health stacking. Critting more is a good way of solving many rage problems, especialyl since you get extra Rage from yellow crits (thanks, feral tree).
    The second is, a stronger weapon. Your cat weapon would be a choice, even with Berserk on it if threat, and not survival, is your problem. Regarding the enchant however, check with some spreadsheets how's your situation, I know that after a certain point of ArP/Agi, Mongoose becomes better than Berserk (again).

there's a stam socket bonus you're missing due to putting blue gems in red slots. Red/purple gems in red slots, blue/purple gems in blue slots.

Keepin lookin for new rings and a new tanking staff. You're losing out on a lot of TPS using OoN.

Threat on gloves wouldn't be my choice. 20 Agil to gloves sounds like a much better choice.

I had to copy Telaso with this layout to help people look at my gear and help me decide on what I need to fix. So thank you Telaso for that idea. You can also armory me if that visual aid is better, my druid name is Numufu (obviously the lvl 80 one).

Head Peice (Meta, Red/Blue, Enchant)
    Neck Peice
    Shoulders (Yellow, Enchant)
    Cloak (Enchant)
    Chest Peice (Red/Blue, Blue, Enchant)
    Bracers (Enchant)
    Weapon (Enchant)
    Idol
    Gloves (Enchant)
    Belt (Belt Buckle with Prismatic)
    Legguards (Blue, Yellow/Blue, Enchant)
    Boots (Blue, Enchant)
    Ring 1
    Ring 2 (Blue)
    Trinket 1
    Trinket 2

Spec
    Glyph 1
    Glyph 2
    Glyph 3

The reason I've been gemming for both agility and stamina is because when I was gearing up, I was quite low on dodge rating. I've also seen way too many druids on my realm that stam stack just to reach unbelievably high amounts of HP (like 50k unbuffed) yet their dodge rating to be 20% and get two shot by Emalon. I wanted to be a druid that actually knew how to play my class and gem correctly for dodge so that I could have high avoidance, but if I did get hit, I could absorb them well enough. However, I find myself lacking in HP unbuffed. I currently stand at 35k unbuffed, which is right next to the paladin tank in my guild. We're both main tanks and everyone gives me crap about how druid tanks should have more HP than the paladin tank. I'm wondering what gems I should change or what gear needs to be replaced, enchants, etc to help me out.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by getefix
    there's a stam socket bonus you're missing due to putting blue gems in red slots. Red/purple gems in red slots, blue/purple gems in blue slots.

Keepin lookin for new rings and a new tanking staff. You're losing out on a lot of TPS using OoN.

Threat on gloves wouldn't be my choice. 20 Agil to gloves sounds like a much better choice.
    ^-- this + changing you cloak enchant from +16 def to +22 agi. You will see a bit increase in thread from the weapon alone. Since you not MT 25man hard modes (the only reason you should ever stack stam)you can afford to drop some stam you could even switch out one of your trinkets for a dps one that ties in well with the current bear mechanics (Mirror of truth for example will give you higher up time on SD and 250 more on the SD shield while when it procs)

@ numufu: tell those people in your guild L2P :P, Unless your guild is pushing 25man hard modes and they want you tanking them then your current 35k unbuffed is fine for everything else. The only thing you need to change is all your gems to epic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by numufu
    The reason I've been gemming for both agility and stamina is because when I was gearing up, I was quite low on dodge rating. I've also seen way too many druids on my realm that stam stack just to reach unbelievably high amounts of HP (like 50k unbuffed) yet their dodge rating to be 20% and get two shot by Emalon. I wanted to be a druid that actually knew how to play my class and gem correctly for dodge so that I could have high avoidance, but if I did get hit, I could absorb them well enough. However, I find myself lacking in HP unbuffed. I currently stand at 35k unbuffed, which is right next to the paladin tank in my guild. We're both main tanks and everyone gives me crap about how druid tanks should have more HP than the paladin tank. I'm wondering what gems I should change or what gear needs to be replaced, enchants, etc to help me out.
    I'm in the exact same situation, without the retarded guild. I have slightly more HP than my Pally tank even though I could reach 50k by changing trinkets, gems, and gear. There are currently 4 tanks in our guild: A pally MT, and OTs are me (feral), a DK, and a Warrior. I'm usually the first choice for OT unless the fight is very easy and the warrior's sunders make the boss even easier.

There's so much more to playing a tank than just your HP and avoidance. Holding threat, being aware of the adds that are going to pop up, rotating cooldowns but saving the important ones for the right time, and minimizing the amount of damage you take by avoiding AOEs, interrupting casts, and tank switching at the appropriate time. Get your HP to at least 40-41k raid buffed, get your dodge to at least 43% raid buffed and you'll be fine to tank anything on normal and pretty much anything on hardmode (provided you can handle the stuff I mentioned at the start of this paragraph).

Oh and
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski
    tell those people in your guild L2P

I am usually healing and DPSing, and am enjoying both, but i've picked up quite a lot of tanking pieces along the way, and was wondering if I'm gemming/enchanting stuff right. I have other bracers in my bank (the TotC Hc ones), but there wasnt any stam enchant on the AH, so thats not equipped atm (no mongoose on AH either =(, and now i think of it, no agi for gloves either lol. apparently there aren't a lot of enchanters on our realm xD) Is there any specific stat I should focus on more (or less)

The reason why i ask this is I would like to know what I can tank with this gear, tanked a couple of Hcs and naxx10 and didnt have any major issues, and I enjoyed doing it. So it would be nice if someone could tell me what i'm ready for with the gear i have equipped atm.

My armory with bear gear

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rakydei
    I am usually healing and DPSing, and am enjoying both, but i've picked up quite a lot of tanking pieces along the way, and was wondering if I'm gemming/enchanting stuff right. I have other bracers in my bank (the TotC Hc ones), but there wasnt any stam enchant on the AH, so thats not equipped atm (no mongoose on AH either =(, and now i think of it, no agi for gloves either lol. apparently there aren't a lot of enchanters on our realm xD) Is there any specific stat I should focus on more (or less)

The reason why i ask this is I would like to know what I can tank with this gear, tanked a couple of Hcs and naxx10 and didnt have any major issues, and I enjoyed doing it. So it would be nice if someone could tell me what i'm ready for with the gear i have equipped atm.

My armory with bear gear
    I wouldnt tank anything until you read the first post of this thread. You're gear looks like cat dps, your talents & glyphs look like dps.

Re-read this guide and make a proper bear tank. No hybrid bear/cat crap. it wont do you any good.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rakydei

My armory with bear gear
    Your spec is messed but it covers the essentials.
    Your glyphs are completely wrong if you want to tank, and no, you cannot keep them. Switch to tanking lyphs if you want to tank.
    Your gear is purely DPS gear from what I'm seeing now on armory. Make a list or a profile somewhere else if you want us to check it. Armory updates pretty much fuck it up.